Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Actions involving 39 coy Royal Artillery in Boer War (Family Reaearch) 9 years 5 months ago #23752

• Dave B
  • Dave B's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 0
Hello Everyone,
My wife's grandfather (Ernest Richardson)initially signed up for the Royal Marines in 1897 and transferred to the Royal Artillery as a gunner in March 1899. He was posted to Sierra Leone on 24 Mar 1899 although don't know what company. On 5 Jan 1900 he was posted to 39 coy as a gunner. He stayed with this company until reorganisation on 1 Jan 1902 when it became 4 coy. We have his army papers which are endorsed by the OC 4 coy 'formerly 39 coy SD'... does anyone know what SD means?
Ernest stayed with 4 coy until he was posted to 102 coy Royal Garrison Artillery on 13 Oct 1902.
We are trying to establish what actions Ernest was involved in during the Boer War but without success at the moment.
He was awarded the Queens SA medal with clasps for Transvaal, Orange Free State and Cape Colony and the Kings SA medal with clasps, 1901 & 1902. His Army papers give his service number as 21692. Can anyone advise us where to obtain information concerning RA / RGA actions during the war?
Ernest remained with the RGA throughout WW1 and was discharged in 1919.
We would appreciate any help in our search. Many thanks in anticipation, Dave & Sheila

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Actions involving 39 coy Royal Artillery in Boer War (Family Reaearch) 9 years 5 months ago #23759

• davidh
  • Thank you received: 246
Hello Dave and welcome to the forum.

SD in relation to the RGA stands for Southern Division. Equally there were ED (Eastern Division) and WD (Western Division). There was no Northern Division.

I'm afraid that's as far as I can help you. The precise whereabouts and actions of the 15 heavy battery companies of the RGA are seldom mentioned in histories of the war although perhaps one of the other forum members might have some more specific information. The activities of the two Mountain Batteries (4th and 10th) of the RGA are more documented.

Regards

David
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dave B

Actions involving 39 coy Royal Artillery in Boer War (Family Reaearch) 9 years 5 months ago #23761

• Dave B
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
Hi David,
Many thanks for your response. It was most helpful. My wife and I are keen to learn about her grandfather's exploits in South Africa but as you say, there is not much about the RGA other than the mountain units. Our military knowledge, (particularly in respect of the Boer War), is quite limited at the moment but we will continue our research and hopefully learn as we go along.

Thanks again for the information

Regards Dave & Sheila

Actions involving 39 coy Royal Artillery in Boer War (Family Reaearch) 9 years 5 months ago #23762

• QSAMIKE
  • Thank you received: 1881
Hello Dave......

I am sure that you have seen this.......

39th Battery Royal Field Artillery

Arrived at the Cape on 14th February 1900. Was in the engagements about Dewetsdorp and Thabanchu towards the end of April. Throughout 1900 saw much service in the Orange River Colony, and was trekking with Bruce Hamilton in the last quarter of that year (Lord Roberts' despatch of 15th November 1900). The battery was then split up—a section was with Colonel White in the Orange River Colony; a section with Colonel Monro in that colony and afterwards in Cape Colony; and a section was long with Colonel Du Moulin. The battery was represented in Damant's fierce little action near Tafel Kop on 20th December 1901 (see Lord Kitchener's despatch of 8th January 1902 and commendations). The enemy, through being disguised in khaki, imitating the formations of British troops, and even "firing volleys in the general direction of some other Boers", were taken for friends, and so managed to gain a ridge commanding the guns which were with Damant's advance-guard; but his men, notably the 91st company of Imperial Yeomanry, which "sacrificed itself almost to a man", pushed back the enemy, who, on the arrival of Rimington with help, fled as usual. The section lost 5 killed and 7 wounded. At least 2 officers, 2 non-commissioned officers, and 1 man of the battery gained mention for acts of very great gallantry on this occasion.
Life Member
Past-President Calgary
Military Historical Society
O.M.R.S. 1591

Actions involving 39 coy Royal Artillery in Boer War (Family Reaearch) 9 years 5 months ago #23767

• Dave B
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
Hi QSAMIKE
Many thanks for your brilliant information concerning 39 Battery RFA. We haven't seen any of these details before. You have provided plenty of information to chase up and read about, particularly the places where the battery saw action and the senior officers involved. Has the information come from a book or the internet? We seem to be on a rudderless ship at the moment not really sure where to look. However, we are thrilled with the details you have provided as we can at least start looking in the right direction!

Very many thanks again for your help... best get cracking with our research!

Regards Dave & Sheila

Actions involving 39 coy Royal Artillery in Boer War (Family Reaearch) 9 years 5 months ago #23768

• QSAMIKE
  • Thank you received: 1881
Good Morning Dave.....

It is from right here in this forum under the heading UNIT INFORMATION in the main menu so I am sorry I really cannot take credit for the information.....

I am glad though that it is of some help to you.....

Mike
Life Member
Past-President Calgary
Military Historical Society
O.M.R.S. 1591

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.609 seconds