Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

T.W. JENKINS  (1872 - 1900) (KIA) Trooper 422  Frontier Mounted Rifles  9 years 5 months ago #23709

• abwren
  • abwren's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 2
Hallo to all from a new member.

My Great Grandfather was killed in action in 1900 during the early part of the ABW.
It may be of interest to you, so I have included what I know of his and subsequent Family history.
I  would welcome any corrections or additional information that you may have of him.
If only he knew, he would be very proud in knowing that he is survived today by three Grand Daughters, one of whom was Knighted in the Queens honours list of 2006.

T.W. JENKINS  (1872 - 1900)
(KIA) Trooper 422  Frontier Mounted Rifles 

My Great Grandfather,Thomas William Llewelyn Jenkins,Trooper 422 with the Frontier Mounted Rifles, was killed in action on the 4th/March/1900 aged 28. 

Thomas  was apparently shot and killed by an elderly sniper at Labuschagnes Nek in the Eastern Cape.
He and others are buried in the Dordrecht cemetery and is named on the Memorial there,although they do have his initials on the Memorial as LW Jenkins.

Born in Wiltshire England in 1872, he shipped out to South Africa to settle as a young man.

His youngest Son, my dearest Grandfather, Bryan Buller Boyce Jenkins (dec) was only six months old at the time of his shooting, having been born in Alice in September 1899. (Eldest Son was Stanley Llewelyn Jenkins)

TW Jenkins (through Bryan Jenkins) is survived by three Grand Daughters. Two reside in South Africa and one  in Kenya. 
His Grandson Peter R Jenkins (MBE) the eldest, sadly passed away in 2001 aged 71 in the UK.(can Google)
His second oldest Grand Daughter, now aged 80, is Dr Dame Daphne Sheldrick DBE (nee Jenkins) She resides in Kenya and founded The David Sheldrick Wildlife Trust and is author of An African Love Story - Love, Life and Elephants. (a preview can be seen on YouTube)

All four of his grand children were born in Kenya to his youngest son Bryan Jenkins, who sailed from South Africa to Kenya as a boy with the Family in 1908,eventually farming in the Rift Valley not far from Gilgil.

My Grandfather Bryan,along with my Grandmother, latterly returned to South Africa from Kenya and resided with the Family in the Cape and Natal before passing away in 1987 in Durban.

Thomas, Bryan (Pop) and Peter Jenkins still fondly remembered by all the extended Family in South Africa, Kenya, Tanzania and the UK.

Thank you. Alistair.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

T.W. JENKINS  (1872 - 1900) (KIA) Trooper 422  Frontier Mounted Rifles  9 years 5 months ago #23735

• Brett Hendey
  • Thank you received: 740
Alistair

Thank you for sharing your interesting family history with us. It seems that with the advent of the Internet, more of us are able to record genealogies like yours. Sharing them by the same means is both informative and helpful to people who would otherwise not meet.

Regards
Brett

T.W. JENKINS  (1872 - 1900) (KIA) Trooper 422  Frontier Mounted Rifles  9 years 5 months ago #23738

• abwren
  • abwren's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 2
Hi Brett,

A pleasure and thank you for your message.
As you say, fascinating what one can research today.
I hope I have the date of his shooting correct , the 4th?
I gather three were KIA on the 5th of March from the FMR and only three named
from that unit on the memorial in Dordrecht. (Hunter, Smith, Jenkins) So it could have been the 5th?

Regards,

Alistair.

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.660 seconds