• Page:

TOPIC:

John Fitzhenry 7524 9 years 5 months ago #23455

• sremmal
  • sremmal's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 0
I have joined this forum in the hope of finding out more about John Fitzhenry, my great Uncle, who fought in the 2nd Boer War. On his Military History Sheet, it shows "South African 1899's with clasps, Orange Free State, Transvaal, Tugela Heights, Relief of Ladysmith, Kings South African Medal, clasps, South African Medal 1901-2.

John spent 15 years in the Army, seeing action in India with the 9th Mountain Battalion Royal Artillery from 1897-1898, after which he arrive in South Africa in November 1899. He was in the 4th Mountain Battalion Royal Garrison Artillery and served until January 1903.

John originally enlisted in Ireland in 1889 at the age of 19 with the Royal Artillery under no. 62404.

Any help would greatly be appreciated.

Thanks
Helen

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

John Fitzhenry 7524 9 years 5 months ago #23456

• Frank Kelley
  • Thank you received: 954
Good morning, welcome here,
I think his subsequent service with the 5th Battalion Royal Garrison Regiment is interesting, you would have thought he might have had enough, but, I think it's important to remember that many of these typical Tommy Atkins rather enjoyed what they were doing, he would, I am sure, have been one such man.
He certainly got around, I wonder what he made of his time in Canada, over 2 years, moreover, his "injury" that was "acquired" on the 14th of January 1892 is also interesting too, I wonder what the exact circumstances were there, perhaps he opened his mouth once too often.
Again welcome here and good luck with your research.
Regards Frank Kelley
The following user(s) said Thank You: djb, sremmal

John Fitzhenry 7524 9 years 5 months ago #23465

• sremmal
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
Hello Frank, thank you for that. Had to chuckle, Tommy Atkins indeed, and Irish at that! His injury was incurred "off duty", need I say more! I am so excited at having found some of his records. John was the missing link in our family tree. We suspected he went to Canada so that is another avenue to explore.

John Fitzhenry 7524 9 years 5 months ago #23468

• Frank Kelley
  • Thank you received: 954
Yes indeed, well never mind, I'm ultimately Irish too!

sremmal wrote: Hello Frank, thank you for that. Had to chuckle, Tommy Atkins indeed, and Irish at that! His injury was incurred "off duty", need I say more! I am so excited at having found some of his records. John was the missing link in our family tree. We suspected he went to Canada so that is another avenue to explore.

John Fitzhenry 7524 9 years 5 months ago #23484

• LinneyI
  • Thank you received: 1541
Helen
re your 23455. 4th Mountain Battery is one which I have done a bit of research on. An interesting unit which just missed out on journeying up Spoin Kop (lucky lads) and has a short paragraph in Stirling"s "Our Regiments in South Africa".
In the Tirah Campaign, the 9th MB was part of the 2nd Div., Tirah Field Force and saw some action there. The relevant medal roll might give you some extra information.
Good luck with your quest
IL.

John Fitzhenry 7524 9 years 5 months ago #23544

• sremmal
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
Frank, no disrespect intended ;) His character has been passed down the generations :blush:

IL, thank you for the info, must be the luck of the Irish. Will certainly follow up.

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.845 seconds