TOPIC:

2949 William Henry Fox. 9 years 5 months ago #23387

• Sussex.T
  • Sussex.T's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 0
Hi Guys.

Although i've been viewing this great forum for about 4 years now,i've never until now,posted a question.
I'm a collector of medals of mainly WW1 period and as such have groups that include QSA and KSA medals as well.
However,this is regarding a soldier,who as far as i know,never participated in the First World War due to his advanced years.
He was Pte William Henry FOX.2949 YORK and LANCASTER Regt.
He enlisted in 1892 into the 2nd Bttn.However,at the start of the Boer war he was on reserve and when called back to the colours was placed into the 1st Bttn.
My question maybe out of the realms of this forum but there is no harm in asking.
Does any member know if a Roll exists for the 2nd Bttn Y & L for the 'WARREN HASTINGS' disaster,that occured in 1897 off Reunion?
Williams' service papers exist for this period and show his posting to South Africa in this period.
All suggestions/info gratefully received.

Best wishes,Rob.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

2949 William Henry Fox. 9 years 5 months ago #23391

• Brett Hendey
  • Thank you received: 740
Rob

Thank you for your post. Now that you have 'broken the ice', I hope that there will be many more.

I know of King's Royal Riflemen being confirmed as being on the 'Warren Hastings' wreck - I have the medals of one such man - so I feel sure that there must also be a list for York & Lancs men. Is there a Y&L museum? If so, it might be worth contacting the Curator. The Rifles Museum in Winchester has been very helpful with the few enquiries I have made.

Regards
Brett
The following user(s) said Thank You: Sussex.T

2949 William Henry Fox. 9 years 5 months ago #23392

• Sussex.T
  • Sussex.T's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 0
Thanks for your reply Brett.

Yes,it was knowing about the KRR list that prompted me to ask if a similar existed for the Y&L.If i understand correctly,is it the case that only one company of the KRR was on the ship,whereas the 2/Y&L was at full strength?
The museum idea is a good one-all to easy to assume it's all online these days.

Rob.

2949 William Henry Fox. 9 years 5 months ago #23394

• Brett Hendey
  • Thank you received: 740
Rob

I admit to being optimistic about finding the service records of British soldiers of the old Empire, but I know from experience that disappointments are common.

It helps to identify someone who has developed an expert knowledge of a regiment. Such people have already established what is possible and what is not, so that they can save a novice on a hopeless quest both time and money. That is why I suggested finding, if possible, a regimental museum curator. These are people who have (or should have) both a passion and an in-depth knowledge of 'their' regiment's history.

Good luck with your research.

Regards
Brett

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.380 seconds