Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Royal Horse Artillery 9 years 6 months ago #23123

• LinneyI
  • Thank you received: 1541
David
Glad I could help you in your quest! Sometimes such questions can be answered with the help of a good reference library (i.e., having an idea of where to look) and I can take no great credit for anything but a good library.
It certainly would help if you could actually handle such a shell and see what the hefting actually meant. Many years ago, I made a point of using the Boer Mauser and the contemporary Lee Enfields on the range with good ammo to see what they really were like compared with modern rifles. Fascinating to actually see how formidable both rifles were and how well they handled.
If any acknowledgement is to be made, I think it should simply be to the site and Mr.Biggins. If you wish to contact me further, you could always PM me with email details, etc.
In summary, I suppose it would be possible for one man to set the fuze, load and actually fire the 12 pdr RHA gun. Bear in mind that he also would have to align the gun!
Have you read Rudyard Kipling's UBIQUE?
Regards
IL.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Royal Horse Artillery 9 years 6 months ago #23130

• DavidG-Author
  • DavidG-Author's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 0
Thank you. Mike.

I will certainly chase that up.

Appreciate your help.

David

Royal Horse Artillery 9 years 6 months ago #23131

• DavidG-Author
  • DavidG-Author's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 0
Thanks, IL,

I take your point about the library. I have a couple of thousand books on various topics - have just completed three books on 14c medieval archer/knight, so a ton of research there - but certainly came adrift with this finer point on ordnance for the artillery piece. I try and scour obscure Victorian/Edwardian publications for this Boer War period. (Have also been researching Victorian medicine/medical for this period)

I will try and get my hands on a 12 pounder's shell - Imperial War Museum is my next call - failing that I shall revert to Baldrick's approach.

Ubique - is now on my list, thanks.

I too thought the .303 Lee Enfield was an excellent weapon, though our of service when I was in uniform.

It was always my intention to mention this wonderful site - so that I will do -- and also drop you a line with the PM (once I find out where and how. Newbie that I am.)

Regards
David

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.395 seconds