TOPIC:

Royal Horse Artillery 9 years 6 months ago #23105

• DavidG-Author
  • DavidG-Author's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 0
Hello,
I am a Historical Fiction author - and my latest project is a novel set in the Boer War - (a subject few publishers are interested in by the way) but I have always been fascinated by the conflict. I also lived in South Africa for a number of years and visited quite a few areas where the conflict took place.
Although I write fiction I like to get my details correct -often these are small details - and sometimes no more than a sentence. I am looking for help with a couple of issues and hope that a Forum reader/contributor might be kind enough to advise or guide me towards a satisfactory answer.

I am ex-infantry so don't know much about artillery - any gunners out there who can help me? In the Boer War the RHA used 12 pounders with a #56 Blue Fuze. I know the 12 pounder is breech loaded but is the ordinance a 'shell' and how is the 'time' (fuze) set?

My ignorance is acute - but any help would be appreciated.

AngloBoerWar is a valuable site and adds to my modest library of SA War books.
Thanks in advance.
DavidG-Author

My question is:

I am at the point where I have determined

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Royal Horse Artillery 9 years 6 months ago #23108

• rotarykempy
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
I have recently read 'The Boer War' by Thomas Pakenham and it is a very good readable history even by people by me who are completely ignorant on the subject.

Royal Horse Artillery 9 years 6 months ago #23110

• DavidG-Author
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
Thanks for this quick response. Yes, Packenham is pretty much the 'bible' for many readers and writers. But even there I can't find the answer to my query about using the 12 pounder. I have many books and articles as part of my ongoing research - and I can't get a response from RHA themselves. I'll keep trying.

Royal Horse Artillery 9 years 6 months ago #23111

• LinneyI
  • Thank you received: 1541
DavidG
I also served in the inf; but always had an interest in what the "drop-shorts" used. The following is derived from my original copy of the 1897 Treatise On Ammunition.
The original fuze for the 12 pdr RHA was the No.56; screwed into the nose of the shell. This fuze had a 13 sec burn/3,700y range. It was replaced by the No.57 "blue fuze" with a 5,800 yd range. Both fuzes could be set for "time" or "percussion".
"When the shell is brought up to the gun, and when it on the point of being loaded, one or both safety pins must be withdrawn according to the use intended. If required to act as a combined fuze, both pins are withdrawn; if a time fuze only, the percussion safety pin is left in: and if required to act as a percussion fuze only, the time safety pin should be allowed to remain." These are direct quotes from the Treatise. The actual fuze burn time is set by rotating the graduated time ring on the fuze until the desired setting aligns with the arrowhead on the body.
The base of the No.56 fuze had a covering of waterproof cement - and I can only conjecture that the colour of the waterproof cement on the No.57 fuze was blue for quick ID.
All good stuff.
Hope this helps a bit
IL.

Royal Horse Artillery 9 years 6 months ago #23117

• DavidG-Author
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
Dear IL

That's a brilliant response for which I am very grateful.

I have looked everywhere for this explanation because in my book I have to have one man - manfully -manage the gun, load and fire, and the mechanics of the operation defeated me.

I had discovered the range, the weight etc - but not the arming. Now all I need to do is find a shell so I can handle it myself. The Royal Artillery Museum might be the place.

Your explanation has come in the nick of time.

I always make a note of acknowledgement at the back of my books for those who have helped me. I appreciate the Forum requires anonymity - so I am uncertain whether it is acceptable me placing my email address in reply - and then you could contact me directly.

If this is a problem - then I hope you'll accept this a note of thanks.

DavidG

Royal Horse Artillery 9 years 6 months ago #23120

• QSAMIKE
  • Thank you received: 1881
Hi David.....

Hall's Handbook of the Boer War has an interesting section on artillery guns and shells.....

Mike
Life Member
Past-President Calgary
Military Historical Society
O.M.R.S. 1591

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.553 seconds