Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

ephemera 9 years 6 months ago #23004

• saxon
  • saxon's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 19
HI, I was the lucky bidder on these interesting telegrams, dated 31st March 1900 to Captain George Farrar, at Cape Town from Officer Commanding, Wepener, advising the capture of Commandant Viljoin, the Boer commander. and Telegram dated 1st April, 1900 to Captain Farrar, at Cape Town from the Senior Officer at Aliwal North explaining the forthcoming battle strategy, I thought at first this was Ben J Viljoen (assistant Commandant General) but as far as I know he was captured on or around 25th January 02,can any member update me a little more on Commandant Viljoin, as I have little info for him, best regards.

Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: djb

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

ephemera 9 years 6 months ago #23008

• djb
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 4530
Saxon,

They are a great purchase. Well done.

There are several Viljoens in the records and I find it confusing sometimes when I am reading accounts and it is not made clear to which Viljoen they are referring.

best wishes
David
Dr David Biggins

ephemera 9 years 6 months ago #23025

• saxon
  • saxon's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 19
thank you for the response David, the thing that threw me was the spelling of Viljoen,as regards Viljoin, some newspaper clips of the time refer to Viljoin a new rand member of the Raad, I did not know if it was misspelt or they were two different people. regards.

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.525 seconds