Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

J A Youde 9 years 8 months ago #22284

• kenyoude
  • kenyoude's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 0
My paternal grandfather was born on 5th April 1878 in Southport, Lancashire. I think that the JA Youde mentioned in my research is him. If so he served in the Boer War. However my late mother used to tell me that he went to South Africa seeking his fortune in the Kimberley gold mines but only returned with TB! I have an emigration record for a John A Youde sailing to Cape Town from Liverpool on 20th March 1902 on SS Persic. I thought maybe that while he there in the Boer War he heard about the mining and decided to go back in 1902 to seek his fortune! I have no record of his return. However, my father's sister was born in 1907 and my father, Arthur, in 1917.
My grandfather died on 27th June 1924 of TB in a TB hospital in Southport. He is buried in the cemetery in Southport.
What I am keen to know is if the JA Youde in all these records is in fact my grandfather John Arthur Youde. The Lancashire Regiments museum and archive is here is Preston where I live and in fact I went on a visit there one evening last week with my local family history group as they have just opened a new exhibition room.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

J A Youde 9 years 8 months ago #22285

• Frank Kelley
  • Thank you received: 954
Okay then, this is your grandfather, he enlisted into the TF in 1914, the Loyal's and he had served in the Loyal North Lancashire Volunteers before that, the 2nd Volunteer Battalion Loyal North Lancashire's, so unless, the other John Arthur Youde had also served in the Anglo Boer War, he has to be you man!

kenyoude wrote: My paternal grandfather was born on 5th April 1878 in Southport, Lancashire. I think that the JA Youde mentioned in my research is him. If so he served in the Boer War. However my late mother used to tell me that he went to South Africa seeking his fortune in the Kimberley gold mines but only returned with TB! I have an emigration record for a John A Youde sailing to Cape Town from Liverpool on 20th March 1902 on SS Persic. I thought maybe that while he there in the Boer War he heard about the mining and decided to go back in 1902 to seek his fortune! I have no record of his return. However, my father's sister was born in 1907 and my father, Arthur, in 1917.
My grandfather died on 27th June 1924 of TB in a TB hospital in Southport. He is buried in the cemetery in Southport.
What I am keen to know is if the JA Youde in all these records is in fact my grandfather John Arthur Youde. The Lancashire Regiments museum and archive is here is Preston where I live and in fact I went on a visit there one evening last week with my local family history group as they have just opened a new exhibition room.

Note, WO363 and 364 are not available at Kew, only the digitised copies can be used.
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: kenyoude

J A Youde 9 years 8 months ago #22288

• Frank Kelley
In addition, these papers also show your father and his sister, Elizabeth and also give much detail regarding his death and pension allowance to his wife etc.

J A Youde 9 years 8 months ago #22292

• kenyoude
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
I have a copy of the Attestation document (above) showing his home as 24 Priory Street in Preston. This is where his sister lived upto her death in 1977. You mention that these papers mention his sister Elizabeth and his pension allowance to his wife. Which papers do you mean? Am I able to obtain a copy?
Ken

J A Youde 9 years 8 months ago #22297

• Frank Kelley
Hello Ken,
Yes, of course you can, available on line or whilst at Kew, but, only the digital copies are available, not the originals, all WO363 and 364 are in a very poor state.
Regards Frank

J A Youde 9 years 8 months ago #22319

• kenyoude
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
Doug,

Just at a tangent from Boer War stuff a moment I still have some confusion about John Arthur Youde, my paternal grandfather. On his original death certificate, which I have here, it states he died on 27th June 1924 in Tuberculosis Hospital UD Southport aged 45. The informant is down as Alice A. Hignett, cousin.

I also have his original marriage certificate here dated 14th June 1906 to Annie Counsell in Preston's Wesleyan Chapel in Marsh Lane. His occupation is down as diamond miner which fits in with the him going to Cape Town from Liverpool on SS Persic on 20th Mar 1902 seeking his fortune but only returning with TB!

However, on the grave stone in Southport (1.attached) he is down as dying on 26th July 1924 aged 26. Another in the grave is Alice A Hignett (2. attachment) who died 1949. If the second scenario is true then he couldn't have fought in the Boer War having been only born in 1898 or so.
Attachments:

Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.585 seconds