Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Hoping that the forum will be able to answer some questions. 9 years 9 months ago #21290

• JuneC
  • JuneC's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 0
I accidently found this forum and was so thrilled as I am hoping that someone on it may be able to either help me, or point me in another direction to find the information I am looking for.

I had always known that my grandfather Henry Coates had been in Boer War, but it wasn't until I actually started family history and doing the research that I found a couple of items that proved it was correct.

His funeral notice at Woodlands Catholic Church, Doncaster, states that - Mr H Coates of 175 South Street Highfields who died last week was a veteran of three wars. Mr Coates who was 59 was a drummer boy in the Boer War. He served in the last war and did military duty for over two years in the present war.

I also then found that his father Arthur Thompson Coates had been in the Army for many years and I found he had been awarded the following -

British War Medal - awarded to all military who had served overseas during World War I.

Long Service and Good Conduct Medal - awarded to all soldiers who had served 18 years in the Army and had had good conduct within that time.

Queens South Africa Medal - Paardeberg/Driefontein/Transvaal and Relief of Kimberley and 4 clasps.

Paardeberg Clasp - awarded to all troops who were with 7,000 yards of General Cronje's final laager between midnight of February 17th and midnight of February 26, 1900 and to all troops who were within 7,000 yard of Koodoe's Rand Drift between those dates.

Driefontein Clasp - granted to all troops with Army headquarters and Lieutenant-General's French's column which advanced from Poplar Grove on March 10, 1900.

Transvaal Clasp granted to all troops in the Transvaal at any time between Mary 24th 1900 and who had not previously been awarded a Transvaal Clasp.

Relief of Kimberley Clasp granted to all troops in the relief column under Lieutenant-General French who marched from Klip Drift on February 15, 1900.

So although I didn't know it, he also had been in South Africa.

My grandfather Henry also gave his son's unusual names and I am wondering if these are connected with his time and his father's time in South Africa - these names include Kruger, Belmont and Dorwin.

I would love to be given some pointers as to sites, books, information to see what drummer boys did (my grandad was 14 at the time), how they lived etc.

What people think about my thought that the 3 names are connected with South Africa.

And lastly an easy to read book to help me get to grips with what the Boer War was about.

Thank you to anyone who can give me some pointers. I suppose this should be in a different forum and if so please let me know and I will re-enter it.

Thank you. June

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Hoping that the forum will be able to answer some questions. 9 years 9 months ago #21292

• QSAMIKE
  • Thank you received: 1883

JuneC wrote: My grandfather Henry also gave his son's unusual names and I am wondering if these are connected with his time and his father's time in South Africa - these names include Kruger, Belmont and Dorwin.

I would love to be given some pointers as to sites, books, information to see what drummer boys did (my grandad was 14 at the time), how they lived etc.

What people think about my thought that the 3 names are connected with South Africa.

And lastly an easy to read book to help me get to grips with what the Boer War was about.

Thank you to anyone who can give me some pointers. I suppose this should be in a different forum and if so please let me know and I will re-enter it.

Thank you. June

Good Morning June.....

First, do you know what regiment he (Arthur) served in?????

Second, the names are not that odd, I remember reading about a child who's last name was King and had a name for the word M.A.F.E.King......

Third, there are many many books and with the name of the regiment there may a regimental history of that period..... I suggest the following for now:

BOER WAR, NATIONAL ARMY MUSEUM BOOK OF THE, by Field Mashal Lord Carver, Sidgwick and Jackson, 1999

BOER WAR, THE, by David Smurthwaite, Hamlyn History - Octopus Publishing, 1999, ISBN 0-600-59652-4

BOER WAR, THE, (Illustrated Edition) by Thomas Pakenham, Weidenfield & Nicolson Publishing, 1993, ISBN 0-297-83222-0

BOER WAR, THE, by Thomas Pakenham, Random House, 1979

BOER WAR, THE, by Dennis Judd, Hart-Davis McGibbon, 1977

Mike
Life Member
Past-President Calgary
Military Historical Society
O.M.R.S. 1591

Hoping that the forum will be able to answer some questions. 9 years 9 months ago #21296

• JuneC
  • JuneC's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 0
My great grandfather Arthur Thompson Coates initially served in the 5th West Yorkshire Militia. At the time of his enlistment he was 19 years old.

He signed on for 12 more years at the Curragh Dublin I believe in 1884.

It appears that he then signed on in the West Riding Regiment on January 18 1894. At this time he was listed as a painter.

On April 1, 1916, Private A Coates (no) 4076, of the 1st Btn Duke of Wellington's Regiment hereby agreed to continue as a soldier of the Regular Forces until the end of the war, in the same manner in all respect as if my term of service were still unexpired. Provided that on the termination of the war I shall be discharged with all convenient speed. Signed by A Coates and declared before the Commanding OPfficer at Sialkot on April 1, 1916.

On March 28 1919 at Ripon he received his 'Protection Certificate and Certificate of Identity'. It stated that he had spent 25 years in the army, 13 years in India, nearly 1 year in South Africa and nearly 3 years in Malta. He had recently returned from Bombay abroad the M.T. Karagola (?)

That is all the information I have about my great grandfather Arthur. Regarding my grandfather Henry I have nothing except the one newspaper notice from his funeral. Even my dad knew little about his dad's service although he did say that his dad had some medals.

Thank you for the list of books. I will check some of them out.

Thank you - June

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.707 seconds