Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

ephemera 9 years 9 months ago #21154

• saxon
  • saxon's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 19
HI, just something that may be of interest, an extract of a letter from gun hill and I can only assume that the original was probably written in Africans and translated at that time and brought home by Mr Simms H.M.S. Powerful at or after
the siege of Ladysmith. It gives a good insight to one Boers thoughts at the time.
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

ephemera 9 years 9 months ago #21160

• Brett Hendey
  • Thank you received: 740
Saxon

Thank you for showing a very interesting letter. The original might have been written in English as there were English-speakers with the Boer forces.

Regards
Brett

ephemera 9 years 9 months ago #21173

• saxon
  • saxon's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 19
thanks for the reply Bret, I just assumed it was originally in Africans because it was a copy, but of course as you say many would have spoken English.

ephemera 9 years 9 months ago #21174

• Brett Hendey
  • Thank you received: 740
Saxon

The reason I suggested that the letter was written in English was because I thought it more likely that a British soldier would save something he could read and understand, rather than something written in a foreign language.

It is a pity that the author of the letter cannot be identified, or when it was found. It would be particularly interesting if it could be linked to the surprise raid by Colonials on Gun Hill on the night of 7/8 December 1899. A detachment from the Heidelberg Commando was guarding the Boer guns during that attack. There were many English families in Heidelberg before the war and some of their men went on to serve in the Heidelberg Commando. There was even a 'Churchill' on their nominal roll. There are also several English names on the Heidelberg Commando's Boer War 'Roll of Honour'

Regards
Brett

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 1.130 seconds