TOPIC:

Geetings 9 years 10 months ago #20972

• Rodeo
  • Rodeo's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 0
Hi all,

After finishing the book "The Great Boer War" by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, I thought I would come here for further corroboration on some of Doyle's accounts of the war.

I must say, my prior understanding of the facts of the war were far separated to the first-hand accounts of those participants in the war who provided Doyle with much of the content of his book.

I am referring to his final version of the book, which has been rewritten some 16 times on account of diplomatic allowances.

I would also like to discuss what seems to be accepted by present day South African society as the factual version of events that transpired, and how incredulously incorrect those assumptions may be, particularly among the Afrikaans community.

Cheers

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Geetings 9 years 10 months ago #20986

• Henk Loots
  • Thank you received: 443
Hi Rodeo
Welcome!
As a member of the Afrikaans community I would love to hear what you consider as incredulously incorrect assumptions!

When reading eyewitness accounts of war-time events I am often reminded of the saying :It is your story, it is my story and somewhere in between is the truth
Henk

Geetings 9 years 10 months ago #20988

• Rodeo
  • Rodeo's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 0
Henk,

Agree completely with the saying at the end, especially after reading Doyles accounts of the war, which is the first real exposure I've had to the British version of this tale.

The primay points of contention I'd like to discuss are as folows:

Reasons for war - In an Afrikaans community, you will simply hear that the British wanted to annex the boer republics for imperialistic gain and to control the mines.

From what I've read, it now appears evident that the cause was that in fact of the appalling conditions of the uitlanders working the mines, including taxation and living conditions as well as the harsh franchise laws. Following on from this, the appeals made by the British govt and the contrast in treatment of the boers livingbunder British rule in the cape colonies.

Concentration camps and ill treatment by the British -

The fact that the conflict even continued up until this point is deplorable and responsibility of which rests squarely on boer shoulders. The war was won and the boer campaign was one of hatred and antagonism with little point.

Throughout the war, the British forces acted with leniency on appeal from their coubtrymen abroad. Battles were fought within the confines of the rules of war, prisoners were treated very well, and time after time concessions afforded to those who might lay down their arms. In contrast, the boers were known to have continued fighting after raising the white flag, donning the khakis to trick their enemy, shooting wounded soldiers on the battefield, and leaving much to be desired in their treatment of prisoners.

On top of this, there is very little mention made today around the fact that the women and children in the concentration camps were there mostly by choice, with boer armies leaving their families in front of british patrols as they were confident in the good treatment they would receive. The deaths among children in the camps was not due to ill treatment but rather an outbreak of measles. The camps came at great cost to british, considering their difficulty in already feeding their substantial army.

We also do not hear about the relentless murders and sniping on civilian convoys by the boers. Or the constant interruptions of supplies by rail, which would aid in the survival of their own families in the camps.

We also do not hear about farmers that had been captured and then granted amnesty, returnedb to their farms with their horses, only to take up arms again when the opportunity arose in their favour.

The narratives on these subjects appear to be numerous and accounted for. It isbjust surprising that when an Afrikaner portrays his idea of the war, none of this isbtaken into account.

Geetings 9 years 10 months ago #20989

• Henk Loots
  • Thank you received: 443
Hi Rodeo

It would seem that Conan Doyle's book on the Boer War has raised questions in your mind.
From Wikipedia : Sir Arthur Ignatius Conan Doyle KGStJ, DL was a Scottish physician and writer who is most noted for his fictional stories about the detective Sherlock Holmes, which are generally considered milestones in the field of crime fiction

I suggest you now read a second book on the Boer War to broaden your exposure : "With Rimington" by L March Philips. This recounts the British soldier-author's personal experiences, whereas Doyle based much of his writings on other people's accounts. One can even speculate that elements of his later success with fiction were already present at this early stage in his writing career!!

Henk

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.341 seconds