Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Christmas Cards and Christmas Gifts 1 year 3 months ago #87729

• Neville_C
  • Neville_C's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 1991
25th December 2022 - Happy Christmas!

Here are two presents that were unwrapped on this day 122 years ago.

Knife in wooden box with ink inscription: "This knife was made from a driving band / belonging to a 15r Shell Fired by / 83rd F B R A at Battle of Pretoria 4th. 6th. 1900".
Handle of knife with impressed lettering: "83 F B / 4th. 6th. 1900".
Base of box with address: "Mr W Clements / 10 Portland Road / Colchester Ex E[illegible]".
Lid of box with second inscription: "A Portion of one / of Kruger's Pills (warranted) / Ach mine Gute [sic]". "Ach mine Gute" is a misspelling of the German "Ach! meine Gute" ("Oh! my gosh").

Western Gazette, 29th September 1899 - "Give Old Kruger a Pill".

Hampstead & Highgate Express, 5th May 1900 - "Kruger's Liver Pills" (referring to rifle ammunition). In a letter from 3624 Private F.G. Davey, a Reservist in the 7th Dragoon Guards.

Underneath the blade of the knife is a paper insert, inscribed in ink: "Shall want a 1/2 d for this when I come home / [signed] J. Edwards / wishing you a merry Xmas & happy new year".
It was traditional to give a token monetary gesture in exchange for the "gift" of a knife, as there was a superstition that giving a knife would otherwise sever the friendship between giver and receiver.

69357 Acting Bombardier John Edwards, served with the 19th Battery R.F.A. He was attached to the 6th Divisional Ammunition Column, which supplied (amongst others) the 83rd Battery. Unlike his 19th Battery compatriots, Edwards was present during operations in the advance on Johannesburg and Pretoria.

His service papers give next-of-kin as his mother, Jael Gooch (née Edwards), living at Thorpe-le-Soken, Colchester.
1901 discharge papers give his intended place of residence as Boxted, Thorington Street, Stoke-by-Nayland, Colchester. Note in remarks column of QSA roll reads: "To England for discharge 23 10/01".
Edwards, like many others, lied about his age when he joined up, adding two years.

The recipient, Mr William Clements was a "Dairyman & Pork Butcher" (b. 23/06/1858; d. 1936), living at 10 Portland Road, Colchester.

In 1871, 12-year old William Clements was living on Golden Noble Hill, just 7 minutes’ walk from the Marlboro Head Inn, John Edwards's mother Jael’s abode and place of work. The proximity of the two addresses might be relevant in terms of the relationship between Jael’s illegitimate son, John, and William Clements. After his military service, John Edwards became a dairyman, following the same trade as William Clements. Perhaps John worked for William during his three years as a Reservist (1896-1899).

Jael Edwards became pregnant with John in early May 1871, while working as a servant at the Marlboro Head Inn. There is no record of the father.

Kruger Jack-in-the-box. Paul kruger, wearing a top hat, springs from a cardboard pot, labelled: "KRUGER JAM / Warrented prepared from the finest FRUITS, / gathered at GLENCOE, BLOEMFONTEIN, LADYSMITH, / MAFEKING, PRETORIA, LYDENBURG, &c., flavoured / with ENGLISH POWDER'd sugar, and potted with / the aid of the best machinery from CANADA and / AUSTRALIA."

Manufactured by "R.J., London."

Ink inscription on base reads: "To Ethel from Uncle Dave. Xmas 1900."

106mm high (closed), 195mm high (sprung), 78mm diameter.

The following user(s) said Thank You: Moranthorse1

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Christmas Cards and Christmas Gifts 1 year 3 months ago #87760

• Neville_C
Here are a couple of New Year’s greetings cards. The first from members of the Sergeants’ Mess of the Royal Marine Light Infantry to comrades serving in South Africa. The second is hand painted, and appears to be for a friend affectionately referred to as “Bun”. Reverse: "WITH ALL GOOD WISHES FROM WAL PHILLIPS XMAS 01 NEW YEAR 02".

Attachments:

Christmas Cards and Christmas Gifts 1 year 3 months ago #87769

• Neville_C
And finally, this well known image, drawn by Earl Robert, the illustrator of The Ladysmith Bombshell siege newspaper. It was later reproduced in various forms, this example being a gilt-edged cabinet card.

Attachments:

Christmas Cards and Christmas Gifts 1 year 3 months ago #87772

• Trev
  • Thank you received: 204
Hi,
Unfortunately, I didn't come across these following images until today and it is now closer to the New Year than Christmas, but I thought that I would include them anyway for your enjoyment as they were hand drawn Christmas envelopes addressed to P. Taylor Esq. "Telegraphs" Bristol. These envelopes were located on a popular online auction site.

The artist has signed off on these envelopes as Alf Lyons B.M.I., Natal. Looking at the relevant handwritten Enlistment and Medal Roll for the Bethune's Mounted Infantry I was able to find that 4 Trooper Alfred Isaac Lyons enlisted on the 19 October 1899 and discharged on the 27 April 1900 after serving a little more than 6 months. For his service with the B.M.I. he was entitled to clasps Tugela Heights and Relief of Ladysmith.

I was able to locate on the Johannesburg Mounted Rifles Medal Roll that Trooper Lyons was later to become a Sergeant with Reg. No. 833 and was also entitled to clasps of the Orange Free State and Transvaal and the date clasp only of 1901. The dates for which he enlisted and discharged with the Johannesburg Mounted Rifles are not known but due the single clasp it seems that he did not see any further service through the 1902 period. The J.M.R. Roll indicates that there might also be a connection with the Rhodesian Horse.

The fourth card is not Christmas related but I thought that I would include it, as it is also a part of this series of hand drawn envelopes.

Trev
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Neville_C, Moranthorse1

Christmas Cards and Christmas Gifts 1 year 3 months ago #87786

• Neville_C
Three from previous threads (originally posted by Paul Dunn, Dave F and Sepoy)

Attachments:

Christmas Cards and Christmas Gifts 1 year 3 months ago #87807

• Neville_C
Best wishes for 2023..!

Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: azyeoman

Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 1.755 seconds