TOPIC:

Page caching 11 years 9 months ago #3671

• djb
  • djb's Avatar Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 4500
Dear all,

I am experimenting with page caching on the site. Caching means that when a page is requested, the system first checks to see if that page has been loaded recently and, if it has, it loads the page from the stored area rather than rebuilding the page from scratch. This can make a site much faster.

The downside of caching is that it does not cope well with pages that change frequently, for example the home page or forum page. What can happen here is that the site can show you a page from the cache rather than the latest version of the page.

You can force your browser to refresh the page by pressing Ctrl F5 on a PC and Command Option R on Macs. This will make the system go and retrieve the latest version of the page.

For pages that are not in the cache, the system builds the page and places a copy in the cache.

Part of my experimentation is to set the right period for the how long the cached page should exist before the system refreshes the page when it is next called. Currently this is set to 30 minutes.

If you are being detrimentally affected by this caching, please let me know,

Regards
David
Dr David Biggins

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re: Page caching 11 years 9 months ago #3672

• Mark Wilkie
  • Thank you received: 45
Hi David, I'm having trouble. I can only get onto the site as a member if I follow a link from a thread posting notice sent to my e-mail. If I go onto the site directly I can only get on as a visitor and can't sign in. F5 etc don't seem to help. I have to actually clear cookies to sign in but am required to do it on each visit. Overall it isn't that big a problem as I just go on by following an e-mail link. Not sure if others are having similar troubles? I still have to view the site with my compatibility viewer for older browsers on.

Cheers,

Mark

Re: Page caching 11 years 9 months ago #3673

• djb
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
Mark,

Sorry to hear these problems are continuing. When you arrive at the home page, does using Ctrl + F5 help at all?

I access the site using Safari, IE and Firefox and don't have these problems. The issue I occasionally have is the message 'invalid token' when I try to log back in again.

Best wishes
David
Dr David Biggins

Re: Page caching 11 years 9 months ago #3675

• Mark Wilkie
  • Thank you received: 45
David,

I've the same problems on IE, Firefox and Google Chrome. The Ctrl + F5 hasn't helped. Only actually clearing the cookies seems to get me in for a single visit but as soon as I come back on I get the message 'invalid token' when I try log in. When I follow an e-mail link I get in no trouble at all. There have been a couple of times when changing a page that I suddenly get logged out and then I get the 'invalid token' message when trying to log in again and have to go back and come in again using an e-mail link.

Cheers,

Mark

Re: Page caching 11 years 9 months ago #3676

• djb
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
Mark,

I'm sorry for these continuing problems. I will investigate and see what I can do.

Kind regards
David
Dr David Biggins

Re: Page caching 11 years 9 months ago #3679

• Brett Hendey
  • Thank you received: 716
David

I had the same, or a similar problem yesterday. My morning session was normal, but later when I accessed the site again I had to sign in. Immediately afterwards this notice appeared: "Your session has expired. Please log in again". That happened several times, so I gave up.

However, the site was back to normal this morning, so it seems to have been a temporary problem.

Regards
Brett

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.456 seconds