• Page:

TOPIC:

ABW's 16th anniversary 3 years 5 months ago #73000

• djb
  • djb's Avatar Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 4519
The 26th November marks 16 years since the site was established.

In the last year the site has serviced 116,884 different users with 900,000 pageviews.

Other than the outage at the start of this month, availability has been good but I am aware that there is an on-going issue with how images are rendered after the recent outage.

The majority of users visit the site only once. 35,000 of the 216,000 sessions are from users who have visited the site more than 50 times in the last year.

The site is continuing to develop in many directions. The forum is a good example of this with 6,000 posts in the last year. We have welcomed many new members this year and this is adding richness, information and many research challenges to the site.

I was thinking to organise some monthly, online meetings via Zoom and would be interested whether you think these would be useful? Scheduling these would be an issue but not insurmountable.

The willingness of ABW members to share their work and knowledge and to help others continues to build our understanding of the conflict and the men and women involved. This is, to me, the most important aspect of the site.

I very much appreciate the contributions made by our members as I am sure do the many people who benefit from them.

I have a large backlog of material to add to the site and I look forward in the coming year to adding more of this and continuing to learn about the ABW.

Best wishes
David
Dr David Biggins
The following user(s) said Thank You: QSAMIKE, Rory, BereniceUK, azyeoman, Dave F, Moranthorse1

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

ABW's 16th anniversary 3 years 5 months ago #73014

• QSAMIKE
  • Thank you received: 1879
Good Moring David......

All I can say that I will, after my morning coffee, sing Happy Birthday..... Wish you could hear it but only the cats will.....

Thank You to You and Your Brother for starting this Forum and in more ways than one, believe me it has been a life saver.......
I just wish I could express my admiration and thanks to you for keeping it going......

Mike
Life Member
Past-President Calgary
Military Historical Society
O.M.R.S. 1591

ABW's 16th anniversary 3 years 5 months ago #73027

• BereniceUK
  • Thank you received: 2303
Huzzah! Well done, David. But, sorry, no Zoom for me.

childrenofthefuture.leeds.ac.uk/tag/boer-war/
Attachments:

ABW's 16th anniversary 3 years 5 months ago #73046

• azyeoman
  • Thank you received: 300
I'd welcome a zoom meeting with a guest speaker or a presenter on a specific topic. It would be interesting. There are enough experts to have one a month for years. :)
I can't thank the founders of this site enough. It's one I look forward to visiting daily and one I refer to when confirming prospective acquisitions or info on things in my collection. The members are not only well educated in the subjects but also gentlemen and happy to share knowledge; what better way to continue the lives, deeds and events of the ABW in people's minds. Thanks again and keep it up for another 16 years (and more!)
All the very best,
John

ABW's 16th anniversary 3 years 5 months ago #73056

• Moranthorse1
  • Away
  • Thank you received: 759
Many thanks from this recent recruit aswell. In the short time I have been subscribed I have benefitted from the comments of the learned forum members. A real font of knowledge.
The suggestion of a zoom meeting would be another great development for the forum. To hear and see talks of the experience and knowledge of the particular interests of individuals would be something to really look forward to on a regular basis as John has already mentioned.
I very much look forward to further developments with this particular thread!
Cheers Steve

ABW's 16th anniversary 3 years 5 months ago #73057

• LinneyI
  • Thank you received: 1537
David
Congratulations on the sixteenth! The scope and depth of your site is quite remarkable. For myself, it's importance may be seen by the fact that - during the recent outage - my first AM check of my PC was to see if the site was back! And I am sure that a lot of others were in the same boat.
Sadly, my small knowledge of the on-line world precludes access to ZOOM.
Always best regards
IL.

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.610 seconds