• Page:

TOPIC:

Natal Volunteer Record - proof reading request 8 years 3 months ago #44818

• djb
  • djb's Avatar Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 4530
The digitisation is difficult because the text in this book is mostly very small. Here's a page with an ABO to give the scale.

Dr David Biggins
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Natal Volunteer Record - proof reading request 8 years 3 months ago #44821

• djb
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
There are four more pages to check if possible please:

The record - Royston and Darnell biographies
Roll call - Lists of senior Imperial and Volunteer officers and some of their staff
Natal Natal Volunteers - account and roll
Natal Field Artillery - account and roll

The NFA page was particularly difficult as the original has been heavily annotated (see attached).

With thanks
David
Dr David Biggins

This message has an attachment file.
Please log in or register to see it.

Natal Volunteer Record - proof reading request 8 years 3 months ago #44849

• LinneyI
  • Thank you received: 1541
David
Just now I read "The Record" and the only typo I found was Para 2, line 3 - there being the figure "1" between the words "system" and "was". The figure "1" appears to be a typo.
Just now I read "Roll Call" and a possible typo is the entry for Lt - Gen. Sir George White, Ladysmith; where the letters "VC" are shown before his name. I say "possible" as elsewhere I have sometimes seen the letters "VC" depicted in Gothic Script and before a name. A more definite typo was found under the sub-heading "Permanent" - where Capt. F.J.Choles was in the "Oidnance" vs "Ordnance".
Unless someone beats me to it, I will read through the NNV and NFA headings later this AM.
Best regards
IL.

Natal Volunteer Record - proof reading request 8 years 3 months ago #44850

• LinneyI
David
After lunch here on a beautiful Sydney summer afternoon:
Natal Naval Volunteers - line 3, "Est-court" is Estcourt, line 13 "Manches-ters" is Manchesters, and "Ctesar's" is Caesar's. Line 19 "bestcr's" is Bester's, line 21 is "Lieuc" for Lieut Hore,
Entry for Nov.5 ; "useless g pounders" would be 9 pounders. Feb 19 "took command of two 47 platform guns" would be a reference to 4.7 inch guns.
Heading "Besieged in Ladysmith", line 13 should be "Second-class Petty Officer (Bugler) A.Adrain.
Heading "In charge at the Base" first entry should read "Paymaster E C Rainsbury (Hon Captain).

Natal Field Artillery - (Timeline) - entry for Feb.11 has a blank space when reached Dundee.
Page beginning with the words: "At Ladysmith, Col. Knox, R.A., etc -- line 2 has a star between the words "ammunition" and "wagons", line 18 has "firing hack powder" - means "black" powder.
Roll call: Rank of lt's Richie, Livingston and Puntan is mis-spelled "Leutenant". Notation "Scotland" after Sergeant-Major J.W.Field", Notation England" after O.R.Sgt. J.Wiles, Corp lC.J.Butter should read " Butler", illegible note after Bombr. F.Brown, Notation "England" after Bombr J.Robertson, Notation "Scotland" after W.H.Smith, Notation "England - or ..." after H.Scott, Gnr. H.A.Aslam should be Adlam, Notation for A.Blunden is NZ, Notation for W.H.Cain is "D" Died Rhodesia, Notation for J.C.Cowell is Dead, Notation for H.Croshaw is "L/S", between entries for Gnr. R.H.Ewan and Gnr. J.A.Fleming should be inserted Gnr. W.Exall, Notation after Gnr. O.Hancock is "Dead", Initial for Gnr. Holt, sub is "F', between Gnr. G.Jaye and Gnr. E.Kearns should be inserted Gnr. R.Jones (Dead), Notation after Gnr. C.Kilmister is illegible, Surname of Gnr. A.E.Poval should read "Povall", Second initial of Driver J.H.Burnett should read "M", surname of Driver J. Mnroe should read "Munroe".
Note: at the foot of the annotated nominal roll viewed in the pdf, there is what appears to be a handwritten entry for "J.Brewer" or something similar. Cannot see such a name elsewhere in the roll. Could have missed it.
Best regards
IL.

Natal Volunteer Record - proof reading request 8 years 3 months ago #44852

• djb
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
That's great work Ian, thank you very much. I will process those corrections later.

You're right about the initials VC appearing before names and in a gothic font.

I wasn't sure what to do with the additional notes made by an owner of the book. In the end, I decided to omit them as they were not in the original work and I was bot able to verify their accuracy.
Dr David Biggins

Natal Volunteer Record - proof reading request 8 years 3 months ago #44855

• LinneyI
David
Really, it is no trouble to do that sort of thing; takes me back a good 35 years when I used to help the Legislation Officer at work proof certain drafts. The Good Old Daze! I get so much from your site that it is a pleasure to do something in return.
Best regards
IL.

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 1.020 seconds