Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Lt Col H.F. White DSO: All Saint's Church, Holdenby, Northampstonshire 6 years 7 months ago #55175

• JustinLDavies
  • JustinLDavies's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 119
Many thanks Berenice, that's very kind of you. The church appears to be redundant so I had better ask the Church Conservation Trust whether access is possible! All best wishes, Justin

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Lt Col H.F. White DSO: All Saint's Church, Holdenby, Northampstonshire 6 years 7 months ago #55178

• BereniceUK
  • Thank you received: 2294
The following user(s) said Thank You: JustinLDavies

Lt Col H.F. White DSO: All Saint's Church, Holdenby, Northampstonshire 6 years 7 months ago #55179

• JustinLDavies
  • JustinLDavies's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 119
Fantastic Berenice! You are well ahead of me!
The following user(s) said Thank You: BereniceUK

Lt Col H.F. White DSO: All Saint's Church, Holdenby, Northampstonshire 6 years 6 months ago #55700

• BereniceUK

BereniceUK wrote: It's open every day, 11am to 4pm.

www.visitchurches.org.uk/visit/church-li...saints-holdenby.html

The information on the website is wrong, it's not open daily. I was cursing when I found out what the actual hours are, I went there last Saturday. Oh well, at least there was a Commonwealth War Grave for me to photograph, so it wasn't a completely wasted visit. (And I didn't drive to the area specifically to go to Holdenby, I also snuck into Bedfordshire)

Lt Col H.F. White DSO: All Saint's Church, Holdenby, Northampstonshire 6 years 6 months ago #55703

• Brett Hendey
  • Thank you received: 716
It is time that Christian missionaries were diverted from Africa and sent to the UK instead. Larger flocks there would lead to churches re-opening and less inconvenience to tourists and researchers!

Brett
The following user(s) said Thank You: BereniceUK

Lt Col H.F. White DSO: All Saint's Church, Holdenby, Northampstonshire 6 years 6 months ago #55705

• BereniceUK
That wouldn't help a church such as Holdenby, Brett - "Sir Christopher Hatton, Elizabeth I's Lord Chancellor, moved the village of Holdenby when he built his mansion; the church now lies remote and isolated beside fields and a pond, beyond the gardens of Holdenby House." The church isn't in the village, and anyway the younger generation now don't want to sit in a cold church on uncomfortable pews, if they go to church they generally prefer something more modern. At least the Holdenby church building still survives; the biggest losers in England are Methodist churches which are closing regularly. Not many Methodist churches have ABW memorials though.

Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.419 seconds