Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Color Sergeant T.M. Moore, 1st Volunteer Battn, Prince of Wales' Volunteers 10 years 4 months ago #16496

• BereniceUK
  • BereniceUK's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 2307
This testimonial is now in the Queen's Lancashire Regiment Museum in Preston but I wonder if it's a reproduction? It looks to be in remarkably good condition so not original perhaps.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Color Sergeant T.M. Moore, 1st Volunteer Battn, Prince of Wales' Volunteers 10 years 4 months ago #16497

• QSAMIKE
  • Thank you received: 1883
They may have put a Photocopy on display and have the original in safe storage......

I have a City of Ottawa Tribute Certificate in a frame with a photo of the person named and his medal but I have mounted a photocopy to preserve the original......

Mike
Life Member
Past-President Calgary
Military Historical Society
O.M.R.S. 1591
The following user(s) said Thank You: BereniceUK

Color Sergeant T.M. Moore, 1st Volunteer Battn, Prince of Wales' Volunteers 10 years 4 months ago #16503

• pjac49
  • Thank you received: 32
Looks as though American spelling traits had reached Warrington by 1901, or somebody just couldn't spell. 'Color' Sergeant?

Patrick

Color Sergeant T.M. Moore, 1st Volunteer Battn, Prince of Wales' Volunteers 10 years 4 months ago #16507

• BereniceUK
I dunno. I've never been able to understand why the British Army decided to spell Sergeant as 'Serjeant' and then back to Sergeant again.

Color Sergeant T.M. Moore, 1st Volunteer Battn, Prince of Wales' Volunteers 10 years 4 months ago #16517

• djb
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 4541
Berenice,

Another interesting Boer War artefact.

That spelling of colour is interesting too. I hadn't noticed that before so wonder if it was a mistake. I recall an engraving from the Defence of Kimberley which was beautifully done but which included a spelling mistake.

Best wishes
David
Dr David Biggins

Color Sergeant T.M. Moore, 1st Volunteer Battn, Prince of Wales' Volunteers 10 years 4 months ago #16528

• BereniceUK
In different English churches I've come across two WW1 memorial plaques which refer to "Ytres" rather than Ypres. And last month I saw a Veterans Memorial, dedicated as recently as 2006, in California which gave a sailor's rank as "Yoeman".

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.814 seconds