Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Boer War memorials Australia 10 years 4 months ago #16329

• coldstream
  • coldstream's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 214
While browsing the internet earlier I thought I would search for memorials in Australia.
I lived there for a while but at the time military history was not my hobby.
I came across this very good site listing memorials and realised a lot of the towns I have visited, oh for one of those time machines :ohmy:

monumentaustralia.org.au/themes/conflict/boer

Paul :)
"From a billow of the rolling veldt we looked back, and black columns were coming up behind us."
The following user(s) said Thank You: BereniceUK

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Boer War memorials Australia 10 years 4 months ago #16341

• Brett Hendey
  • Thank you received: 740
Paul

Thank you for posting the link to a very interesting record. There seem to be more memorials to the Boer War in Australian towns than there are in South African towns.

The Australian's pride in their military history is sure to see that the memorials are preserved. The situation in South Africa is very different. In a recent review of the book 'South African Battles' by Tim Couzens (Jonathan Ball) by Mark Levin, he wrote:
"Metal plaques and crosses on graves are disappearing to be melted down. Too many roads, both national and local, have been reduced to rubble. Libraries and museums are under-funded and understaffed, or staffed by couldn't-care-less-it's-just-job employees. Yet, on heritage days, politicians intone that 'we must never forget our history" - and then hand out a T-shirt."

Now that the one politician in this country who genuinely believed in the importance of heritage is no more, his successors will have no critic of any standing from within their ranks.

Brett

Boer War memorials Australia 10 years 4 months ago #16342

• Frank Kelley
  • Thank you received: 954
Good morning Brett,
Do these politicians you mention want you to remember all history or just the bits of it that they happen to like?
Regards Frank

Brett Hendey wrote: Paul

Thank you for posting the link to a very interesting record. There seem to be more memorials to the Boer War in Australian towns than there are in South African towns.

The Australian's pride in their military history is sure to see that the memorials are preserved. The situation in South Africa is very different. In a recent review of the book 'South African Battles' by Tim Couzens (Jonathan Ball) by Mark Levin, he wrote:
"Metal plaques and crosses on graves are disappearing to be melted down. Too many roads, both national and local, have been reduced to rubble. Libraries and museums are under-funded and understaffed, or staffed by couldn't-care-less-it's-just-job employees. Yet, on heritage days, politicians intone that 'we must never forget our history" - and then hand out a T-shirt."

Now that the one politician in this country who genuinely believed in the importance of heritage is no more, his successors will have no critic of any standing from within their ranks.

Brett

Boer War memorials Australia 10 years 4 months ago #16345

• Brett Hendey
  • Thank you received: 740
Frank

My impression is that these politicians live for the here and now and are concerned mainly with pursuit of riches.

I read recently that the World is a village and the idiots live in Africa.

Regards
Brett

Boer War memorials Australia 10 years 4 months ago #16357

• Frank Kelley
  • Thank you received: 954
Hello Brett,
Are they members of the ANC?
Frank

Brett Hendey wrote: Frank

My impression is that these politicians live for the here and now and are concerned mainly with pursuit of riches.

I read recently that the World is a village and the idiots live in Africa.

Regards
Brett

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.675 seconds