Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Memorial to Lieutenant C J Rennie, Lincolnshire Regt in Rowledge, Surrey 11 years 1 week ago #9065

• Sepoy
  • Sepoy's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 5
This is the Memorial To Coverley James Rennie in St James's Parish Church, Rowledge near Farnham, Surrey.

The Last Post entry states

Lieut Coverley James Rennie, 2nd Batt., Lincolnshire Regiment died at Reitfontein West, August 26th, 1901. He was born in Oct., 1874, and entered the Lincolnshire Regt in Oct., 1894, and promoted Lieut., in 1897. He served in the campaign in the Soudan under Lord (then Sir Herbert) Kitchener, 1898, with the 1st Battalion of his Regiment, and was present at the battles of the Atbara (wounded, Mentioned in Despatches) and Khartoum, receiving the British Medal and Khedive's Medal with two bars. He served in South Africa with his Battalion from Dec., 1899 and had been severely wounded.

Coverley was born in Rowledge on 6th October, 1874.
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Memorial to Lieutenant C J Rennie, Lincolnshire Regt in Rowledge, Surrey 11 years 1 week ago #9070

• djb
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 4500
Sepoy,

That's an excellent picture - thank you.

There seems to be some conflict about the account of his demise. This article on the SAMHS ( samilitaryhistory.org/vol093ic.html ) on 'THE BATTLE OF SILKAATSNEK - 11 JULY 1900' says "British War Graves Division records states, however, that he died of self-inflicted revolver wounds"

Kind regards
David
Dr David Biggins

Memorial to Lieutenant C J Rennie, Lincolnshire Regt in Rowledge, Surrey 11 years 1 week ago #9091

• Sepoy
  • Sepoy's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 5
David

The South African Field Force casualty roll states that he was wounded at Zilikats Nek on 11th July, 1900 and that he died at Reitfontein on 26th August, 1901, with the comment "self inflicted".

London Gazette entries (27th September, 1901 and 17th January, 1902) state that he died of wounds, received in action.

I have looked in the Times Digital Archive and the British Newspaper archive, via Findmypast, but I have not found an obituary.

Obviously, I need to do a bit more research.

A photograph of his grave can be seen here
www.eggsa.org/library/main.php?g2_itemId=464245

Sepoy

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.350 seconds