Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

The South African War 1899 - 1902 Memorial, Cove, Farnborough, Hampshire 11 years 1 month ago #9010

• Sepoy
  • Sepoy's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 5
This is a photograph of the Cove Boer War Memorial situated in the churchyard of St Peter's Church, Cove, Farnborough, Hampshire. It bears the names of Cove's casualties - mainly through sickness. When the weather improves I will take a few more photographs showing the names.

Sepoy

Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

The South African War 1899 - 1902 Memorial, Cove, Farnborough, Hampshire 11 years 1 month ago #9016

• djb
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 4531
Sepoy,

That looks to be a fine monument. How many names are listed on it?

Was it previously located elsewhere and moved to its new location?

Kind regards
David
Dr David Biggins

The South African War 1899 - 1902 Memorial, Cove, Farnborough, Hampshire 11 years 1 month ago #9062

• Sepoy
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
Cove is only a small village now swallowed up by Farnborough. On reviewing my photographs I believe that the memorial commemorates:-

Corporal William C Hazell, Hampshire Regiment
Private Charles Rance, Army Service Corps
and
Trooper Thomas Henry Hill, Imperial Yeomanry

I will confirm this, in due course, and I will try and take some better photographs.

The snow covered photograph was taken in 2010
Attachments:

The South African War 1899 - 1902 Memorial, Cove, Farnborough, Hampshire 11 years 1 month ago #9069

• djb
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 4531
Sepoy,

The monument looks quite fitting with snow-covered wreaths.

The amount of detail given is quite surprising too. I imagine this is a reflection of the few names commemorated but they obviously went to some trouble to record the information of these local men.

Thank you for loading these
David

PS With the images you upload, you can either add them as attachments as you did here or you can add them, then position the cursor where you would like to display them and then click Insert. This displays them as full pictures once you submit the post.
Dr David Biggins

The South African War 1899 - 1902 Memorial, Cove, Farnborough, Hampshire 11 years 1 month ago #9089

• Sepoy
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
David

Thank you for your advice concerning the positioning of photographs - I will certainly try that in future.

The people of Cove obviously cared about those who participate in the war, presenting illuminated scrolls to the survivors.

Sepoy

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 1.055 seconds