Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Captain C. W. Collins, Cheshire Regt.-died of wounds at Elandsfontein 14.11.1901 1 year 6 months ago #86283

• BereniceUK
  • BereniceUK's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 2303
In St John the Baptist Church, Knaresborough, Yorkshire.
TO THE GLORY OF GOD
IN PROUD AND LOVING MEMORY OF
CAPTAIN CHARLES WELMAN COLLINS
THE CHESHIRE REGIMENT
SON OF MAJOR JOSEPH COLLINS, LATE OF THE SAME REGIMENT
WHO DIED ON THE 14TH OF NOVEMBER 1901 AT ELANDSFONTEIN, TRANSVAAL,
OF WOUNDS RECEIVED AT BRAKENLAAGTE ON THE 30TH OCTOBER,
AGED 29 YEARS.
HE WAS MENTIONED IN LORD ROBERTS' DESPATCHES AND ALSO
FOR "DISTINGUISHED GOOD SERVICE" IN THE ABOVE ACTION.

The plaques immediately below the window [above] are all dedicated to members of the Collins family.
From left:— Major-General E. A. COLLINS (26th Cameronians), served in the Abyssinian Campaign, 1868, died 22.6.1909; CAPTAIN C. W. COLLINS; William and Elizabeth Emma COLLINS, (non-military); Lieutenant-Colonel J. J. COLLINS, 60th Royal Rifles, died from disease at Nari Bank, Sibi, Beloochistan, 8.10.1880; Colonel J. R. COLLINS, 70th (East Surrey) Regiment, served in the New Zealand, Afghan, and Suakin campaigns, died 8.10,1897. The plaque below.is dedicated to F. COLLINS, Army Medical Department, served with the Vth Fusiliers during the Indian Mutiny, and the relief and capture of Lucknow, died 1925.

REVERSE TO A COLUMN.
CHESTER OFFICER WOUNDED.
....The following despatches were issued by the War Office this morning:—
....From Lord Kitchener to the Secretary of State for War:—
Pretoria, Nov. 1.......
....I have just heard that a severe attack was made on the rear-guard of Colonel Benson's column when about 20 miles to the north-west of Bethel, near Brakeniaagte, during a thick mist. Strength of the enemy was reported to be 1,000. They rushed the two guns with the rear guard, but it is uncertain whether they were able to remove them. Casualties are, I fear, heavy. Benson was wounded but not severely. A relieving column will reach him this morning. Full particulars will be sent as soon as they reach me.
2 15 p.m.......
....Have just received further news of Benson's column. Colonel Barter, who marched from the constabulary line at two p.m. yesterday, reached the column early this morning without opposition. He reports Colonel Benson has died of wounds. Among the other casualties are:—
....Wounded.—Cheshire Regiment, Captain C. W. Collins (severe).
....Killed.—54 non-commissioned officers and men. Wounded.—160 non-commissioned officers and men (four since dead).
....I assume the two guns have been recovered, and that enemy has withdrawn, but have no further details. I deeply regret loss of Colonel Benson and of officers and men who fell with him. In Colonel Benson the service loses a most gallant and capable Commander, who has invariably led his column with marked success and judgment. Colonel Barter adds:— "The fighting with the rear-guard was at very olose quarters, and was maintained with great determination on both sides. The enemy suffered heavily; but I have not yet received reliable estimate of losses. Boers retired East."
....Captain Charles WeIman Collins, of the Cheshire Regiment, severely wounded, is a son of Major Joseph Collins, late of the 22nd Regiment, by his marriage with Augusta Abigail, eldest daughter of Colonel H. A. Welman, A.D C. Born on October 28,1872, he obtained a commission in the Cheshire Regiment on June 2. 1894. In February, 1900, he was appointed a brigade signalling officer, graded as a staff captain, and a divisional signalling officer in the following month. His captain's commission bears date December 15, 1900.
The Chester Courant, Wednesday 6th November 1901
OFFICERS DANGEROUSLY ILL.
[including]
....Johannesburg.—Cheshire Regiment.—Captain C. W. Collins (dangerously wounded, gunshot wound right thigh and left knee).
Evening Express, Monday 11th November 1901
AMPUTATION NECESSARY.
....We regret to say that the condition of Capt. C. W. Collins, of the 2nd Cheshire Regiment, shows a change for the worse. Mortification has set in and a leg was amputated. Captain Collins, who was wounded in the fight at Brakenlaagte, is a son of Major Collins, formerly of East View, Bayshill, and previous to joining the Army was a second-Lieutenant in the 1st Gloucestershire Royal Engineers (Volunteers).
The Cheltenham Chronicle, Saturday 16th November 1901

....DEATH OF CAPTAIN COLLINS.—We regret to state that Captain C. W. Collins, 2nd Cheshire Regiment, son of Major Collins, of Waterloo-road, Chester, late of the 22nd (Cheshire) Regiment, is reported to have succumbed at Elandsfontein, on Thursday, to severe wounds received in the action at Brakenlaagte on the 30th ult., when Botha attacked Col. Benson's rearguard. He had just completed his twenty-ninth year, and had seen over seven years' service. The deceased officer obtained a commission in the Cheshire Regiment on June 2, 1894. In February, 1900, he was appointed a brigade signalling officer, graded as a staff captain. His captain's commission bears date December 15. 1900.
The Cheshire Observer, Saturday 23rd November 1901
OFFICER DIES OF WOUNDS.
....We regret to say that Capt. Collins, of the 2nd Cheshire Regiment, died from wounds at Elandsfontein on November 14. Deceased was badly wounded in the leg in the fight at Brakenlaagte, and was for a time confined to hospital. Despite every care and attention, mortification set in, and the limb was amputated last week. Even this failed and death ensued. Capt. C. W. Collins was a son of Major Collins (formerly of the Cheshire Regiment, and of East View, Bayshill, Cheltenham), and prior to joining the Army served as a second lieutenant in the 1st G.R.E.V. at Cheltenham. He obtained a commission in the Army in 1894, became lieutenant in 1897, and obtained hia company last December. He was 29 years of age.
The Cheltenham Chronicle, Saturday 23rd November 1901
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Elmarie, Moranthorse1, Sturgy

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Captain C. W. Collins, Cheshire Regt.-died of wounds at Elandsfontein 14.11.1901 1 year 6 months ago #86289

• Elmarie
  • Thank you received: 950

Primrose Cemetery, Germiston
Elmarie Malherbe
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: BereniceUK

Captain C. W. Collins, Cheshire Regt.-died of wounds at Elandsfontein 14.11.1901 1 year 6 months ago #86295

• BereniceUK
  • BereniceUK's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 2303
I spent some time on Saturday searching through the Harrogate newspapers for a mention of Captain Collins' wounding and death, but it wasn't until I found a report of a Knaresborough private's death in the same action, but nothing about Collins, that I realised that he likely hadn't had a direct connection with the town.

Further research shows that he was born in Chester, in October 1872, so may never even have set foot in Knaresborough; the plaque dedicated to him is in the parish church primarily because of the family's historical connection witth Knaresborough.

KNARESBORO' MAN KILLED AT THE FRONT.
....News was received on Saturday night by Mr. G. Morrell, of Bondend, that his son, Private George Morrell, of the 1st King's Royal Rifles, had been killed in action last week. Deceased was with Colonel Benson's column, and took part in the severe fighting. He was also at the battle of Dundee, and was one of the Royal Rifles taken prisoner at that engagement, and sent to Pretoria, where he remained eight months. Since then he had been slightly wounded while with General French's column, and had seen rough service thoughout the war, having been there since its commencement. He had been in the army five years, and was a smart young fellow, being within a few weeks of his twenty-sixth birthday. A letter had been received by his parents only two or three days previous, and the sad news proved a severe shock to his parents. Their eldest son is still at the front.
The Harrogate Advertiser, Saturday 16th November 1901
A KNARESBOROUGH MAN KILLED IN SOUTH AFRICA.
....The following letter has been received from Pretoria by Mrs. Morrell, of Knaresborough, mother of the gallant youth who was killed with Colonel Benson's column. Readers will no doubt peruse its contents with melancholy satisfaction. It is of special interest to Private Morrell's townsmen:—
"Bourg Spruit, Transvaal,............
"November 11, 1901.......
...."Dear Mrs. Morrell,— I hope a line from me may be some slight comfort to you in the loss you have had of a most gallant son.
...."I have known your boy for a long time—five years—so that to me he is a very great loss; but it will, I think, be some consolation to you to know that a son of yours has done his duty splendidly throughout, and that his end was as gallant an end as any soldier could come to.
...."He was one of a band who were all killed and wounded in defence of the guns against largely superior numbers. They have earned a great name, and we are proud of them.
...."May you be consoled in your sorrow and given strength to bear must be, I know, a very severe loss.—I am, with all sympathy, yours sincerely,
"(Cap.) F. W. CHUM."......
The Harrogate Herald, Wednesday 18th December 1901

He's also named on Rossall School's ABW memorial, and on the Cheshire Regiment's ABW roll of honour in Chester Cathedral.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Elmarie

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.592 seconds