Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Holy Trinity Church, Stratford-upon-Avon 1 year 7 months ago #85723

• BereniceUK
  • BereniceUK's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 2300
The shrine was created during the Great War, and adopted as a permanent memorial in 1920. Did the two small plaques with the names of the four ABW deaths exist before that, and if so where were they placed? And are the names representative of the town or just the church?

N.B. The church also has a stained-glass window and plaque in memory of Richard Fordham Flower, posted elsewhere, and which I've added a link to.

S. AFRICA. 1900-1902
A.C. ADKINS.....FARRIER......R.H.A.
G. MANNERS....PRIVATE...SOM. L.I.

S. AFRICA. 1900-1902
R.F. FLOWER...LIEUT....WARWCS. YEO.
J.T.WORRALL.BUGLER.WARWCS. YEO.

THIS SHRINE GIVEN IN MEMORY OF
SERGT. R. NOAKES 2/7 R. W. R
FOR 15 YEARS A SERVER IN THIS CHURCH,
STOOD IN THE PORCH TO RECEIVE THE
NAMES OF THE FALLEN 1914 - 1919
ADAPTED AS PERMANENT MEMORIAL 1920

Private Manners' regiment is given as the Somerset LIght Infantry - this is incorrect, it was the (King's) Shropshire Light Infantry.

Sergeant R. Noakes was 2943 Serjeant Robert Foster Noakes, 2nd/7th Battalion Royal Warwickshire Regiment, who died on 19th July, 1916, at the battle of Loos, aged 40.

....DEATH OF A STRATFORD RESERVIST.— Much sympathy was extended to Mr. and Mrs. Stephen Adkins, of this town, on the receipt of the news from the War Office on Saturday morning of the death of their eldest son from enteric fever at Bloemfontein. He leaves a young widow and child. Deceased enlisted into the Royal Horse Artillery in 1889, and seven years later was discharged, owing to an accident to one of his eyes caused by a piece of steel striking it. At the commencement of the present war he was among the first to be called up, and rejoined the colours about the end of October, serving with General French in the first cavalry brigade, and taking part in all the campaigns with which that gallant officer was connected. On May 13th, Mrs. Adkins received a letter and the Queen's chocolate box from her son, the letter bearing date Bloemfontein, April 26th, in which he said they had been waiting for horses, but hoped in a few days to start for Pretoria, and to reach that place in about six weeks, though they anticipated plenty of fighting. He was then, he said, quite well. Subsequent events prove that the regiment did leave Bloemfontein, but deceased must have been left behind in hospital, though as yet his friends have received no particulars to his illness and death. His widow, who is a native of Slough, and child were to have been in Stratford on the 2nd inst., and an official despatch addressed to her was received announcing with sorrow that her husband had died, and concluding with a message of sympathy from Lord Roberts. Deceased had had many narrow escapes. On one occasion a shell burst under the horse he was riding. Nothing but kind and sympathetic treatment had been extended by those in authority at the War Office and other official departments to the widow and friends of the deceased soldier, for which they have been deeply grateful.
DEATHS.
....On the 27th May, at Bloemfontein, South Africa, of fever, Alfred C. Adkins, of the Royal Horse Artillery, son of Stephen Adkins, aged 33 years.
Stratford-upon-Avon Herald, Friday 8th June 1900

....Sergeant Sidney Carter, son of Mr. Benjamin Carter, of Wickhamford, near Evesham, who has just returned invalided from South Africa, where he has been serving with the Warwickshire section of the Imperial Yeomanry, has furnished the press with a graphic account of how the late Lieutenant Fordham Flower met his death. "It was," says Mr. Carter, "at Hammond's Kraal that Lieutenant Flower received his fatal wound. We were advance party to the column that day, and had orders to scout on the right flank over very difficult country indeed. The ground was covered with bushes and rocks, and you could not see ten yards in front of you. We had been fired on several times during the course of the morning, and when the Boers opened fire on us we had orders to hold them till the infantry came up. We did this. Lieutenant Flower, who was in command of the 4th Troop, dismounted us as soon as the Boers opened fire, and sent the horses back out of the firing line. Lieutenant Flower advanced at the head of his men by means of rushes of from 20 to 40 yards each. When you have done your rush you 'duff' down in the grass, and then make another. When they saw us advancing the Boer fire slackened, and Lieutenant Flower got up on his knee to have a look round, when a bullet fired from our right flank struck him in the back. He cried out, 'Oh, I am shot; send for a doctor.' Fetching the doctor was a very dangerous mission, for you had to go right across the ground over which the bullets were flying, but Jim Bannister, of the Stratford Troop, went. We saw, however, that poor Mr. Flower was fatally wounded, and he knew it himself. He was in fearful pain till the doctors injected morphia. Just before they moved him from the place where he had been shot he shook hands with us all round, wished us all good-bye, and said: 'I did my duty, didn't I, now? Tell my mother how I died.' With that he ordered us to leave him and proceed with the Wilts Infantry to the firing line again. Lieutenant Flower was put in an ambulance, but before he could be got to the temporary hospital he died. You cannot crack him up too much; he was so faithful to his men. He always got us food and bread, and if any of the men wanted some money at any time he had only to ask him for some. If Lieutenant Flower had any with him you may be sure the man did not ask in vain. You cannot put in too good a word for him. We buried him under a large tree at midnight, and many were the tears that were shed. The grave was covered with stones, and has been fenced round and a nice cross erected by Sergeant-Major Smart. The grave has been photographed, and we all hope to get a copy."
Leamington Spa Courier, Friday 18th January 1901
www.angloboerwar.com/forum/17-memorials-...-i-a-20-8-1900#59583

....DEATH OF A RESERVIST.— Enteric has accounted for the death of a reservist from this town, the victim being Private Manners, of the 2nd Shropshire Light Infantry, who lived in Payton-street. The case was reported in the list of deaths on the 12th inst., Manners having died at Middelburg on February 7th. Deceased, who leaves a wife and three children, and who worked for Messrs Hutchings and Co., went to South Africa in the early part of last year.
Stratford-upon-Avon Herald, Friday 15th February 1901

....DEATH OF A YEOMAN.— Recently we had to announce that Trooper J. T. Worrall, son of Mr and Mrs Worrall, of Henley-street, was dangerously ill with enteric fever, and since then the sad news has come that his death occurred at Lindley on the 23rd inst. This information came from the War Office on Tuesday evening, and Trooper Worrall's name appeared in the casualty list of the daily papers on the following morning. Deceased, who was quite a young man, volunteered, with others, a little over twelve months ago, and sailed for the front on March 8th, 1901. Since then he has taken part in the operations of Colonel Byng's column, which, during the last few months, has been very active and had many engagements. Much sympathy will be felt for Mr and Mrs Worrall in their sad loss.
DEATHS.
....On the 23rd inst,, at Lindley, South Africa (of enteric), Trooper J. T. Worrall, of the 5th Company Imperial Yeomanry. Deeply mourned by his sorrowing parents.
Stratford-upon-Avon Herald, Friday 28th February 1902
The following user(s) said Thank You: Elmarie, Moranthorse1

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 2.282 seconds