Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

8974 Sgt. A. Oubridge, 32nd (Lancashire) Coy. IY - k.i.a. Zeekoe River, 6.4.1901 1 year 8 months ago #84875

• BereniceUK
  • BereniceUK's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 2300
In Newton-le-Willows Cemetery.

In Loving Memory of
ARTHUR,
THE DEARLY LOVED HUSBAND OF
ANNIE WRIGHT OUBRIDGE
KILLED IN ACTION
AT ZEEKOE RIVER, SOUTH AFRICA
APRIL 6TH 1901, AGED 29 YEARS.
"THY WILL BE DONE."

....When the list of casualties was published yesterday morning it was generally thought that the name of Sergeant A. Stowbridge had been telegraphed in error for that of Sergeant A. Owbridge, son of Mr Owbridge, of 301, Wargrave-road, Earlestown, Who was a member of the C Troop of the Lancashire Hussars, and who went to the front with the 32nd Company of Imperial Yeomanry over twelve months ago. Numerous friends visited Mr Owbridge during the day to sympathise with him and his family. Mr Owbridge, who himself believed the sad news to be true, wired to the War Office for information. Last night Mr Owbridge, sen., stated that the War Office had replied that the bad news did not refer to his son. The telegram from the War Office was as follows:—"To Owbridge, Wargrave-road, Earlestown. 8974 Sergeant A. Owbridge, 32nd Company Imperial Yeomanry, not reported among casualties at Zeekoe River, so may be safe.—War Office." The receipt of the telegram has somewhat allayed their anxieties regarding Sergeant Arthur Owbridge.
Newton and Earlestown Guardian, Friday 12th April 1901

....MEMORIAL SERVICE AT EARLESTOWN.—On Sunday a memorial service was held at Wargrave Church, Earlestown, in commemoration of the death of Sergt. A. Owbridge, of Earlestown, and of the 32nd Co. Imperial Yeomanry, who was killed at Zeekoe River, on April 6th. The Earlestown Prize Band, the local lodge of Orangemen, and St. John's Bible Class took part in a procession to the church. The service was taken by the Rev. J. Carson, and special music was rendered.
The Leigh Chronicle, Friday 10th May 1900
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Elmarie

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

8974 Sgt. A. Oubridge, 32nd (Lancashire) Coy. IY - k.i.a. Zeekoe River, 6.4.1901 1 year 8 months ago #84877

• Dave F
  • Thank you received: 1175
Hi Berenice,
Watts Memoriam also records A Owbridge as the casualty. There was also a Sergeant Trowbridge 32nd I Y killed .
I have enclosed 8974 Sergeant A Oubridge's papers.
He was interred at Aberdeen cemetery S A.

Medal rolls

Personal Effects

Find a Grave info

Dave......
You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough.
Best regards,
Dave

8974 Sgt. A. Oubridge, 32nd (Lancashire) Coy. IY - k.i.a. Zeekoe River, 6.4.1901 1 year 8 months ago #84890

• Smethwick
  • Thank you received: 820
1895 Marriage

Annie remarried in 1908 to a Welsh greengrocer ten years her junior.
Attachments:

8974 Sgt. A. Oubridge, 32nd (Lancashire) Coy. IY - k.i.a. Zeekoe River, 6.4.1901 1 year 8 months ago #84891

• Adrian123456
  • Thank you received: 245
Memorial to Owbridge in Aberdeen cemetery:

Attachments:

8974 Sgt. A. Oubridge, 32nd (Lancashire) Coy. IY - k.i.a. Zeekoe River, 6.4.1901 1 year 8 months ago #84892

• Smethwick
  • Thank you received: 820
At least the Wigan Observer & District Advertiser managed to get his name correct - twice.

3rd May 1901

8th May 1901

Attachments:

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 1.156 seconds