• Page:

TOPIC:

Veterans un-marked grave 1 year 9 months ago #84298

• smart799
  • smart799's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 1
Would anyone know if there is any help out there to get a small memorial stone erected for a Boer war Vet, The war graves commission appears to only be for WW1& WW2. My G G Grandfather was severely wounded during the ambush at Scheepers Nek and taken prisoner. He never recovered from his wounds and was unable to work for the rest of his life, he is now in a unmarked grave, I have found the location and plot No. in the cemetery he is interred. Thinking I would get him a small marker stone with details of his service I found the cost too expensive for myself.
I wonder how many men who served their country at a cost of life or limb now lie in unmarked paupers graves.
Anyone any ideas.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Veterans un-marked grave 1 year 9 months ago #84299

• BereniceUK
  • Thank you received: 2304
Is there a branch of the Royal British Legion in the town, city, or area where he's buried? If there is, no harm asking there for advice.

Have you asked other members of your family if any of them would be prepared to contribute towards a stone?

Veterans un-marked grave 1 year 9 months ago #84300

• Smethwick
  • Thank you received: 821
The CWGC are now involved with the maintenance of Anglo-Boer War cemeteries in S Africa. Whether this is some or all I have no idea. It would be worth checking if the cemetery in question is to be found on their website.

Veterans un-marked grave 1 year 9 months ago #84325

• Smethwick
  • Thank you received: 821
Just come across this in an email I received from the SA Military History Society:

"since SA returned to the Commonwealth, we pay them to also look after the SA War graves where known"

The "them" being the Commonwealth War Graves Commission.

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 1.012 seconds