Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Millthorpe, New South Wales 2 years 1 month ago #81708

• BereniceUK
  • BereniceUK's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 2294
The memorial is in the School of Arts, Millthorpe, and was installed there on Monday, the 5th of September 1904, in a room that was originally the library. An alternative proposal was that of a 60ft x 6ft memorial cricket pitch.

My thanks to the Millthorpe & District Historical Society for the photos.

Ted Sams and Joe Starr are also named on a memorial wall at Redmond Oval, Millthorpe.
www.warmemorialsregister.nsw.gov.au/cont...district-roll-honour
www.millthorpemuseum.com/local-memorials.html
THIS TABLET WAS ERECTED
BY THE RESIDENTS OF MILLTHORPE

To the Memory Of
TROOPER EDWARD SAMS No. 1128. C SQUADRON
RD REGIMENT N. S. WALES MOUNTED RIFLES.
And
TROOPER JOSEPH HERBERT STARR No. 3521
RD CORPS N. S. WALES MOUNTED INFANTRY
WHO DIED FIGHTING FOR THEIR COUNTRY IN
THE SOUTH AFRICAN WAR OF 1899-1902.

Millthorpe Volunteers.
....We are glad to hear that the following young men from Millthorpe have passed all tests and have been provisionally enrolled for service in South Africa:—N. W. Goode, J. Neville, H. Oborn, E. Sams, B. A. Stevens and T. H. Brooks. Out of eight men who left Millthorpe the same night to offer their services the above six have passed, which is very creditable to our district. They are a good lot of men and will, we are sure, bring no discredit on us. Colonel Lassetter describes the contingent as a "nice bright lot" and is confident that he will have as strong a contingent as any that has yet left New South Wales.
The Leader, Saturday 2nd February 1901

....OFF TO THE WAR.—The Millthorpe railway station was crowded with people on Wednesday evening last to give a send-off to the local volunteers for South Africa. As the mail steamed in there was a sound of revelry which came from cars containing other volunteers, while on the platform there was "a hurrying to and fro, gathering tears; sudden partings, and choking sighs, as who could guess if ever more those loving eyes should meet." The names of the volunteers from here were Troopers J. Jackson, M. Rock, H. Stevens, C. Norris, J. Neville, W. Hartnett, and E. Sams. J. H. Starr also went to Sydney to undergo the test. As the train moved off ringing cheers were given for the departing braves.
The Millthorpe Post, Saturday 2nd March 1901
Our Boys
....The following accepted volunteers for South Africa have been home for three days to see their friends:—Messrs. J. Norris, B. A. Stevens, M. Rock, J. Neville, J. Jackson, T. Brooks, and J. Cook. They left by the mail train on Wednesday night for Sydney. An enthusiastic crowd of about 200 people assembled on the platform and gave them a hearty farewell. Mr Joseph Starr, the well-known local equestrian, left by the same train to offer himself as a member of the New South Wales Contingent.
The Leader, Saturday 2nd March 1901

Ted Sams was in "C" Squadron, which sailed from Sydney on Friday afternoon, 22nd March, 1901, on board the "British Princess."
FROM THE FRONT.
....Through the courtesy of Mr W. Webb we are able to publish the following interesting letter from one of his old pupils (Mr E. Sams) who left for South Africa about two months ago with the last lot of volunteers:—
"Durban, S, Africa, 25th April, 1901.......
Dear Mr Webb,—It is with pleasure l write these few lines to you, hoping they will find you all well, as I am—I am thankful to say. Since we left Millthorpe we have seen some fun. We had a grand trip over from Sydney to Capetown—splendid weather nearly all the way. We had it rather rough crossing the Great Australian Bight, but were nearly all too sick to take much notice of it. Some of us were terribly bad; I myself didn't care much whether the ship went to S. Africa or to the bottom. I felt very miserable. However, we got through that allright, and, after 27 days, reached. Capetown. We lay in Table Bay for 48 hours waiting for orders, and when they came we found we had to go to Durban—925 miles from Capetown. We arrived here all well, and are still here, on board. I believe we are to start to the front to-morrow, the 26th. The South African shores are the roughest I ever saw, in fact, a person could never dream they could be so rough. Since we came to Durban I have seen some of the finest country ever I saw. It is something splendid, and some of the neatest little homes one could wish to see. I thought slavery was done away with, but it is not so here; in fact, there is plenty of it, and I do pity the poor wretches when I see the way they have to work. They are almost naked and no shoes to their feet. They do all the work that horses should do, and it is something dreadful to see the cruel treatment they get from their drivers. They are working alongside of our boat and we can see the drivers flogging them, and it makes us feel that we should like a go in, too; but not at the slaves, but at their brutal drivers. It is very horrible to have to witness such cruelty. The slaves use a kind of handcart called a "rickshaw," and they get between the shafts and trot away like horses, and they trot for miles. They are used over here instead of cabs. Their teams are worked with horses, Everything over here seems to be opposite to what it is in Australia. We see every day men returning from the front. It is really pitiable to see them, fine looking and able men they were, now some are on crutches, some on one stick, and some have to use two, and some can't walk at all. The weather is very hot here now, I understood it was a very cold oountry but it is quite different. We went out for a march yesterday for the first time on land for five weeks, and we did feel very funny, we could hardly walk, it was more like a drunken reel. When we had walked about half a mile the officers let us lay down for a spell, but before we went back to the ship we had walked nearly all over Durban. It is a pretty town but laid out very peculiarly. On our way from Cape Town to Durban we had a look at East London and Port Elizabeth. They are both very pretty places so far as we could see of them. There are two more ship loads of troops expected to land here to-day, one load of Englishmen and the other New South Walesmen. It is said we are all going out together, if so we shall have some fun on our way. Our fun time will not last long, so we must make the most of it while we can. We are going first to Pietermaritzberg for a start and then the shortest way to the front. I suppose we shall have funny sensations when the bullets begin to fall about us, but we shall soon get used to that. Now you, Mr Webb, will hear of something startling when we Millthorpe boys are let loose, We" mean business now we are here, and intend to make a name for Miilthorpe and its natives. All the boys desire to be kindly rernembered to you, Mrs Webb, Miss Webb, and the boys, and don't forget to remember me to Guy, and all the rest of the family. I remain, not for the la«t time, I hope, Yours, etc.,
EDWARD SAMS.......
P.S. —Kindly let all my people know of this letter to you.''
The Leader, Saturday 8th June 1901
Crowded out.
....Several important items are held over for next issue, including two interesting letters from the front from Troopers B. A Stevens and E. Sams, of Millthorpe.
The Orange Leader and Millthorpe Messenger, Tuesday 9th July 1901
FROM THE FRONT.
....The letter from Trooper Stevens is similar to the following; so we have decided not to publish both, as they are written from the same place and about the same date.
....The letter from Trooper Sams will, we feel sure, prove interesting to all who know the Millthorpe boy who left us last Easter:—
"South Africa, 30th May, 1901.......
....My dear Mother,—It is with pleasure I write these few lines to you, hoping you are all well as I am at present. I have been fairly well ever since I have been out. Once I had a bad cold, but it does not do to take much notice of any little ailments here, for they are not taken notice of by those who control us, and when the order is given out we go without regard to our feelings. Jim was very queer for a few days, he had a touch of the fever and I was beginning to feel frightened for him, but I dosed him with some pills I brought from Sydney and they soon put him alright. Bert Stevens was very bad, he got that way that he could only speak in a whisper. I advised him to see a doctor but he would not, so at last he was so bad they sent him to the hospital. He is better and is coming on again now. Well, mother, while we were on the march we saw some curious sights, and some very touching ones! We have been on the march 27 days, and we are back again on the railway to give ourselves and our horses a spell. We have captured a few Boers and shot a few. There is no doubt that they are cowardly wretches. Hunting them is similar to hunting hares, only we do it on horseback. We saddle up about half-past six in the morning and after them we go. They won't fight, but they will plant in the rocks and when they catch a few of us by ourselves then thev start shooting from their hiding places, and they make things very lively for a while. The best way to stop them is to gallop straight to their hiding places, for they can't shoot well at close quarters, but for long distances like 2000 yards they are deadly shots. The first time, mother, they had a shot at me I never felt so funny in my life before. Bert Stevens and I and two or three more were sent out one afternoon to burn some grass and the Boers waited till they got us by ourselves and then they let into us. The bullets came whistling round our heads and set us ducking. We ducked first one way and then another. It would have been very laughable to an eye witness of the wav we ducked. One horse was hit but not badly, all besides escaped injury. I believe the bravest man unaccustomed to the hiss of bullets would duck as we did. We have got used to it now, and take no notice. All we try now is to get at the shooters but they take care by stealing away in time that we don't get too close to them. We have lost two or three of our fellows since we have been out. One was shot dead, the others lingered for a little while. We laid the two side bv side, rolled in a blanket, and covered them over. One was named Campbell [1702 Trooper Andrew Mackenzie Campbell, killed in action at Mandesfontein, 22.5.1901, of Wilcannia, N.S.W.] and the other Lenon [1595 Trooper Herbert William Lenon, killed in action at Mandesfontein, 22.5.1901]. It is wonderful to see where the Boers have their furniture, beds and everything they are owners of are planted away up in the rocks on the hills. I saw as good furniture as ever I saw in my life planted away in the hills so that we should not find it, the Britishers missed it but we Australians found it. We found not only furniture but waggons, real good waggons which would be worth about £60 in Sydney, and Cape carts, which are a sort of dog cart but have poles instead of shafts. Nearly all the vehicles here have poles and no shafts. We also found new harness, chairs, beds, and I could not tell you all we found. Then the order was given to burn everything, and so everything was burnt. It seemed a great pity to do it, but we had to obey orders, and it was done. We have on our march come to Boers' houses whose owners are on the war-path, we find in many beautiful furniture, a piano or organ in nearly every house. Then order is given to smash everything to pieces and we smash them as if they were valueless. It goes against the grain to do it, but when the order is given there is no help for it, of no use to say I won't, we are bound to obey. We have gone into houses where there have been five or six women, wives and children of fighting Boers. We turn everything upside down before their eyes and take away anything of any value. It is not a game I care about playing at all. The other day we went to a house and there was the mother and four or five daughters, they, had three brothers out fighting, so we had to get a waggon and turn them out of house and home, and blow it to pieces before them. To hear these poor women cry was something terrible, so we took them away with us and I don't know exactly what theyare going to do with them. The Transvaal is a very funny country. Where we are there is no rough country and no timber, only what has been planted to make their fences. They use posts for their fences and these posts supply us with fuel, but it is very scarce. It is something like as scarce as our tucker is at times. To serve four men we get what one could, without any difficulty, eat and digest. Those who thought that this was a picnic we were going to have found themselves considerably mistaken—but like other unpleasant things in this world we have to grin and bear them. It seems very strange to us this travelling through a timberless country. We have travelled hundreds of miles through that kind of country. They must have brought posts for their fences hundreds of miles. You must not think that the country is all fenced, we travel long distances where there is no fence. It is nice and warm in the day but at night it is terribly cold. Fancy lying out on one of your hills all night, keeping watch lying out in the frost. We must not move about at all for the Boers may be watching us. If any one comes within a number of yards we at once challenge and cry out 'Halt,' and if there is no reply we shoot at once. There is no fun in this occupation but a very serious business. We have not got enemies we can play with, for we know they will not play with us. I think I have told you all l can this time. Tell Frank I do not think I can write to him by this mail, as I have to write to Dubbo, Remember me kindly to him and his wife. You might send me a line almost every week, for I am always anxious to hear of you all, so now good bye for this time, with kind remembrances to all Millthorpe folks, and love to father, brothers, and sisters. Yours, etc.,
EDWARD SAMS."......
The Leader, Thursday 11th July 1901
From the Front.
....An interesting letter from Trooper Ted Sams, of this town, will appear in our next issue.
The Leader, Thursday 15th August 1901
FROM THE FRONT.
....Through the courtesy of Mr Edwin Ezzy we are able to publish extracts from an interesting letter recently received from Trooper E. Sams, of Millthorpe, who is at the front in South Africa—
...."Platrand, South Africa, July 9th,1901.—I am quite well and am sorry I did not write before, but it is such a hard job to get any writing paper and ink out here. We can only write when we get a chance to have a spell for a few days. We have just come into Platrand, it is only just a railway station, but we had to come in for supplies and to have a spell for a few days. Well, I have seen something fresh since I have been over here. The first time they had a shot at me, Bert Stevens and I, and two or three more were sent out by the General to burn some grass so as the Boers can't see the way we are going. Well, anyhow we were burning away at the grass and we could hear the rifles crack, but we took no notice, but presently the bullets began to sing, so at last they came thick and fast; and then it was fun ducking our heads first one way and then another; it was alright fun to see us going. But since that we have got more used to them, and now we take no notice of them, but just keep on firing as if nothing was going on. It is wonderful how used to it men get. There is nothing to be frightened of as there are about 2500 of us together, and nine or ten guns and of course when that lot is going full gallop they make a big noise just like a clap of thunder. But it is no use a lot of men going together like that because the Boers won't fight. They plant in tbe rocks and wait till they catch a few of us out by ourselyes, and then they fire on us; they are very cowardly, but I suppose it is all fair in war. But it is wonderful to see the trap they have to catch us; they dig drains about two feet deep and plant grass, or even cut grass and throw over the top of it, so when we are coming full gallop when we come to this down we go; it is fine fun to see them going in all directions, but somehow they never get hurt. Then again they have barbed wire tangled up and scattered about to catch us, but somehow we seem to catch them just the same. We have captured a terrible lot of stock and waggons and a good many prisoners since we have been out, and we caught one Boer general and his money, He was on his way to his laager to pay his men, but we happened to cross his path and captured him, so that was an end of his career. It is terrible to have to turn the women and children out of their homes, we have to turn them out and burn the place and all that they have before their eyes. A few of our chaps have been shot, but not many; two of them were shot dead and, the others only wounded. And another snare they set for us—there is no timber grown out here, and we have to pull down fences and houses to get a bit-of wood, so on one occasion we pulled down a house and some of the beams were loaded, and when they were put on the fire they exploded, shooting four men, one was shot straight through the head, and the bullet entered just below the eye and came out through the back of the head, and he is still living. Anyhow, I hope it will soon be over, for I am full of it. The war is nothing, I rather like that, but I know what it is to be hungry. I think I have told you all this time."
The Leader, Saturday 17th August 1901
FROM THE FRONT.
....Mr W. Adamson has received the following letter from Trooper A. Sams, of Millthorpe:—
Heilbron, S. Africa, 3rd August, 1901.......
Dear old pal,—It is no use saying we are not well here, as we must go whether we feel well or not. I would like a spell, but must keep going. We have had lively times since we came out here. The Boers search along and have a few shots at us now and then, and then it would do your eyes good to see the Boers going. They won't stop and have a cut in, but keep sniping. But war is a cruel thing. I have walked into a house, picked up an axe or bar of iron, and smashed to pieces pianos that would cost £60 or more. It is not nice to do such things, but when the order is given we must do them. The Boers have lots of things planted in the mountains, and we sometimes find them. They have fine houses like palaces away in the mountains, where you would think no white man had ever been. We have been three months on the march. The Boer women are fine styles of women, but you can't trust them. The other day two of our men were going through a waggon, captured from the Boers, when one of them stood his rifle down alongside the waggon wheels, and jumped on to the waggon. One of the women picked up the rifle, and shot him through the head, and he never kicked. It killed him on the spot. We have been all through the South Eastern Transvaal, right out to Swaziland and back again, and now we are going through the Free State. We never get much fight in the Transvaal, as the Boers are pretty well cleaned out.
....We have captured about 100 Boer waggons and thousands of cattle. But De Wet served us the same as he does every body else. We started at six one morning and galloped till three in the afternoon. We captured his bullock waggons, and left all our men but 60 to look after them. We sighted his mule convoy, but there were about 800 Boers and only 60 of us, and they gave us a lively time. Our horses were fairly done, and we couldn't follow them. I had to get off my horse and lead him, and they thought I was wounded, and fired on me again. They were firing explosive bullets, but I managed to dodge them. I must now say good-bye. Please remember me to all Millthorpe friends. Joe Starr wishes to be remembered to all.
The Leader, Monday 30th September 1901
February 6.......
....Private Edward Sams, of the 3rd New South Wales Mounted Rifles, died of enteric fever at Heilbron.
The Leader, Friday 7th February 1902

Private Edward Sams,
....Much regret was felt all over the district at the announcement in Friday morning's "Leader" of the death of Private Edward Sams, of Millthorpe, at Heilbron, of enteric. His friends had heard that he was dangerously ill, but all were shocked to hear that poor "Ted" had died so far from home and friends. To his parents and relatives we tender our heartfelt sympathy in their great loss.
The Leader, Saturday 8th February 1902
Trooper J H Starr
....Mr D. Gaynor, of Millthorpe, received on Wednesday morning an intimation of the death of his brother-in-law, Private J. H. Starr, of B Squadron of the 3rd Regiment of N.S.W. Mounted Rifles, who died of enteric at Harrismith, South Africa, in February, the sad news caused much regret here, as Mr Starr was well-known in the district, having been in partnersnip with Mr Gaynor for some time before offering for the front.
The Leader, Thursday 6th March 1902
Welington Times, Thursday 27th March 1902

DIED IN SOUTH AFRICA.
....Says the 'Wellington Gazette':—All friends, and the public generally, will be sorry to hear of the death of Joseph Herbert Starr, son of Mr. E. W. Starr, Mumbil, the cause of death being enteric fever. He was one of those gallant sons of Australia who volunteered for service in South Africa. He died at Harrismith, and is entitled to as much honor as if he died on the battlefield. All will sympathise with the bereaved parents.
The Mudgee Guardian, Thursday 3rd April 1902
CORONATION DAY
....The secretary informs us that the ladies have succeeded beyond expectation in collecting for the provisions, etc, on June 26. A good idea has been mooted in committee, viz., that if there is any surplus after paying expenses, the balance be spent in erecting a small tablet in the School of Arts or some other suitable place in memory of Troopers Sams and Starr, of Millthorpe, who died in South Africa a few months ago.
The Leader, Friday 20th June 1902
CORRESPONDENCE.
(To the Editor)
....Sir,—In to-day's issue of your paper I notice a letter signed Jas. Pearce, in which he suggests that the sum of £20, so liberally donated by the fire insurance company to Messrs W. and E. Hayes, to be distributed amongst those who assisted in saving the above firm's premises, during the fire whioh destroyed the store recently, occupied by Mr A. Cooper, in Millthorpe, should be given to the Coronation Celebration Committee, and any balance that remained should be utilised in placing a memorial tablet in the local School of Arts to the honour of our fellow townsmen who died in South Africa during the recent war I would respectfully beg to suggest instead of the above that a tablet of concrete 60ft x 6ft be placed in the Milltborpe Park to be used as a cricket pitch. I do not wish to slight the suggestion made by Mr Pearce, but consider by adopting my proposal we would possess something useful as well as ornamental.
PRO BONO PUBLICO.......
The Leader, Wednesday 25th June 1902
MILLTHORPE, Friday.......
....Mr. and Mrs. George Sams were presented last night with an enlarged photo, of their son, Trooper Sams, who died In South Africa while on active service. It has been decided to erect a tablet in the park In memory of local soldiers who fell during the war.
The Daily Telegraph [Sydney], Saturday 13th September 1902
CELEBRATION COMMITTEE.
MILLTHORPE, Friday.......
....At the Coronation celebration committee meeting last night the treasurer's report showed a balance of £20, which was voted to the trustees of the local park - £15 for the erection of a pavilion, and £5 for a tablet to the memory of Troopers Sams and Starr, who died in South Africa.
Sydney Morning Herald, Saturday 5th July 1902
DEATH.
....We regret to hear of the death of Mrs Starr, of Mumbil, near Wellington, mother of Mrs D Gaynor, of this town. Mrs Starr's health had been in a feeble state since her son Joseph (late of Millthorpe) died in South Africa. To all the bereaved friends we extend sincere sympathy.
The Leader, Wednesday 23rd July 1902
SOLDIERS' MEMORIAL.
....The hon. sec. to the above movement informs us that a public meeting will shortly be called to make arrangements for a memorial to the two Millthorpe soldiers who died in South Africa during the late war.
The Leader, Thursday 16th April 1903
THAT MEMORIAL TABLET.
[To the Editor.]
....Sir,—Many of our townsmen are enquiring what has become of the money they subscribed for the erection of a memorial to our gallant Millthorpe volunteers who died in South Africa during the late Boer war. They would like to know how much interest the money has earned during the last 22 months, and when the tablet will be erected. Many people, and especially the relatives of our departed soldier boys feel that something should be done at once, as memorials are being erected in all parts of the world. Why should Miilthorpe lag behind when the public has raised the money.
Yours, etc.,................
AN ENQUIRER.......
....July 16.
The Leader, Friday 17th July 1903
THAT MEMORIAL TABLET.
(To the Editor.)
....Sir,—Some two years ago the sum of £5 was donated by the Millthorpe Athletic Club towards the cost of the erection of a memorial tablet to our fallen soldiers. I have made several enquiries from the committee of the above mentioned club, and have also spoken to the bank manager, who is treasurer to the above club and also secretary of the Progress Association, who holds the money, still nothing has been done. What I want to know is: (1) Is that £5 earning any interest, or is the charge of 10s a year enforced; (2) why, if the person or persons responsible have that "tired feeling," they don't let somebody else get the work done. And I would suggest, that a meeting be called at once and men appointed and given power to use the money to erect the tablet at once.
....In conclusion, where is that energetic body, the Millthorpe Progress Committee, that they allow such a slight to be tacked on to their town.
Yours, etc.,............
F. H EDWARDS.......
....Millthorpe, July 4, 1904.
The Leader, Tuesday 12th July 1904

SCHOOL OF ARTS.
....The President (Mr Dobbin) requests the School of Arts committee to attend at that place to-day (Monday) at 2 30 p m, to decide where to place the memorial tablet to the fallen Millthorpe soldiers.
The Leader, Monday 5th September 1904
MEMORIAL TO FALLEN SOLDIERS.
....On Monday afternoon the School of Arts committee met and decided to place the memorial tablet to the fallen Millthorpe soldiers near the library door in the School of Arts, a most excellent position. The tablet was then fixed. It is of white Sicilian slab mounted on a Belgian polished block. The inscription reads as follows:—"This tablet was erected by the residents of Millthorpe to the memory of Trooper Edward Sams, No 1128 C Squadron, 3rd Regiment, New South Wales Mounted Rifles, and Trooper Joseph Herbert Starr, No 3521 3rd Corps, New South Wales Mounted Infantry, who died fighting for their country in the South African War of 1899—1902." The tablet was supplied by Mr C Davis, of Blayney, and is a great credit to him and to all concerned in this patriotic memorial to fallen fellow' townsmen. The funds were raised by a Coronation picnic, and the procuring of the tablet has been carried out by the sub-committee, Rev G C Percival and Messrs J Chivers and J H Dobbin.
The Leader, Tuesday 6th September 1904
The Leader, Saturday 16th December 1899
The following user(s) said Thank You: Elmarie, LinneyI, Moranthorse1

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Millthorpe, New South Wales 2 years 1 month ago #81710

• BereniceUK
As yet I've not found anything about what Ted Sams' profession might have been, but here's some on the Starr family. Edwin William Starr, Joe's father, lived at Bonada - a farm? - near Mumbil, 57 miles (92 kilometers) north of Millthorpe, and he was a magistrate. Bonada being a farm would perhaps tie in with Joe Starr being a butcher.

Millthorpe, New South Wales 2 years 1 month ago #81711

• LinneyI
  • Thank you received: 1527
Berenice
Ted Sams was certainly a prolific letter writer. Upon enlistment, Ted Sams' occupation was "labourer"; as was that of J.H.Starr. Info from Oz-B database.
Regards
IL.
The following user(s) said Thank You: BereniceUK

Millthorpe, New South Wales 2 years 1 month ago #81714

• BereniceUK
Possibly an agricultural labourer working on his father's farm of 166 acres.

...."Mr. George Sams commenced hay making to-day, he being the first farmer in the vicinity of Miilthorpe to do so. The crop is an exceptionally good one, and splendid yields are expected."
The Leader, 3.12.1912

George Sams, senior, died on the 8th of November 1915, aged 68, and his wife, Rebecca Jane, died on the 5th September 1919. Her obituary mentions the Edwin Ezzy that Ted Sams wrote to (E. H. Ezzy).

...."The death occurred at 4-45 a.m. on Friday of a very highly respected resident of the district in the person of Mrs. Rebecca Sams, relict of the late Geo. Sams, after a lingering illness. The deceased lady, who was
64 years of age, was a daughter of the late Mr. Ezzy. Her husband predeceased her about 4 years ago, and two brother, Messrs. Alf and H. Ezzy, died within the same period. Three sons, Messrs. William, Bertram and George Ernest (recently home from active service) and six daughters, Mesdames A. Edwards, F. H. Edwards, Osborne, Misses Pearl, Minnie and Dorothy Sams mourn their loss. One daughter, Mrs. Fogarty, died a few months ago. Two brothers, Messrs Reuben and E. H. Ezzy, and one sister, Mrs E. L. Kenny, also survive her. The subject of our notice had resided here for many years and a wide circle of friends will regret to hear of her death."
The Leader, 8.9.1919

Edward 'Ted' Sams was born in 1878, in the Orange district, N.S.W. www.wikitree.com/wiki/Sams-1186

As mentioned in the link above, there's a stained glass window in St Mark's Church, Millthorpe, dedicated to him, and which was given by his father. I assume that that refers to the present St Mark's Church, consecrated in November 1909, rather than the original 1878 building, now used as the parish hall.
www.churchesaustralia.org/list-of-church...list-anglican-church
The following user(s) said Thank You: Moranthorse1

Millthorpe, New South Wales 2 years 1 month ago #81722

• Elmarie
  • Thank you received: 939
Harrismith Cemetery
Elmarie Malherbe
Attachments:

Millthorpe, New South Wales 2 years 1 month ago #81723

• Elmarie
  • Thank you received: 939
Harrismith Cemetery

Elmarie Malherbe
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: BereniceUK

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.811 seconds