Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Captain C. L. Gaussen, 91st (Sharpshooters) Coy. I.Y -k.i.a. Tafelkop 20.12.1901 2 years 2 months ago #80789

• BereniceUK
  • BereniceUK's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 2294
In St Bartholomew's Churchyard, Greens Norton, near Towcester, Northamptonshire.

IN LOVING MEMORY OF CAPT . CHARLES LOUIS GAUSSEN,
91ST I.Y. LATE 3RD BENGAL CAVALRY
SON OF DAVID AND ELIZABETH SARAH GAUSSEN
BORN SEPT. 26TH 1869, KILLED IN THE ACTION OF TAFELKOP, SOUTH AFRICA
DECR . 20TH 1901 AND BURIED THERE WITH HIS GALLANT BAND OF HEROES.

I was able to make out about 75% of the inscription, and the remainder with the help of a transcription sent to me by a Greens Norton resident.

Charles Louis Gaussen was the eldest son of the late David Gaussen (died 2.8.1899, interred below the sarcophagus) and Elizabeth Sarah Gaussen (died 7.5.1943, at Ballydarton, Co. Carlow, Ireland), of Duncote. His younger brother, David, also saw active service in the ABW - Arratoon William David Gaussen, Highland Light Infantry. He was killed at Festubert, France, on the 17th May, 1915.

I'd first come across a report of a letter sent by Gaussen's mother to the father of Jack Greensill, Jack having been killed in the same action; Duncote was apparently Duncote Hall, now a nursing home, near the Northamptonshire village of Greens Norton. An enquiry to the Greens Norton Parish Clerk was forwarded to a Greens Norton resident, who was able to tell me that Mrs Gaussen, the mother, was resident at Littleworth, a hamlet near Duncote, in the 1901 census, and also that there was a Gaussen family sarcophagus in St Bartholomew's Churchyard, Greens Norton, along with a record of the inscriptions on it. It was over a year later that I was able to go to Greens Norton in person (fortunately there's a bus to there from Northampton, but I then had to walk to Towcester for a bus back to Northampton).

...."The Rev. E. Greensill has received a letter of sympathy from the mother of Captain Gawssen, his son "Jack's" captain, who was killed in the same action at Tafelkop as young Greensill. Mrs. Gawssen lives at Duncote, Towcester, Northamptonshire, and in her letter she says that her son called her attention to Mr. Greensill's son "Jack." Her younger son is still with Damant's column, and she will send Mr. Greensill any information she may get about the action. She is intending to put up a stone in memory of "the gallant little band," and desired the full name and age of Mr. Greensill's son to put on the stone."
Haslingden Gazette, Saturday 4th January 1902

My photographs were taken in late-October 2021, yet there are photos online of clean inscriptions which were supposedly photographed in April 2021. Did the stone deteriorate so much in just over 6½ months, or is the April 2021 date incorrect?
www.warmemorialsonline.org.uk/memorial/281601/
The following user(s) said Thank You: QSAMIKE, SWB, Moranthorse1

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Captain C. L. Gaussen, 91st (Sharpshooters) Coy. I.Y -k.i.a. Tafelkop 20.12.1901 2 years 2 months ago #80790

• SWB
  • Thank you received: 448
Great little story the exchange between grieving parents.

"Jack" Greensill would appear to be Sgt 31583 Hearne Seymour Greensill.
Researcher & Collector
The Register of the Anglo-Boer Wars 1899-1902
theangloboerwars.blogspot.co.uk/
www.facebook.com/boerwarregister
The following user(s) said Thank You: BereniceUK

Captain C. L. Gaussen, 91st (Sharpshooters) Coy. I.Y -k.i.a. Tafelkop 20.12.1901 2 years 2 months ago #80792

• BereniceUK
  • BereniceUK's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 2294

SWB wrote: Great little story the exchange between grieving parents.

"Jack" Greensill would appear to be Sgt 31583 Hearne Seymour Greensill.

Yes, the lost memorial plaque in Accrington.
www.angloboerwar.com/forum/17-memorials-...a-20-12-1901?start=0
The following user(s) said Thank You: Moranthorse1

Captain C. L. Gaussen, 91st (Sharpshooters) Coy. I.Y -k.i.a. Tafelkop 20.12.1901 2 years 2 months ago #80897

• Elmarie
  • Thank you received: 939
Frankfort Cemetery

Elmarie Malherbe
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: BereniceUK, Moranthorse1

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.762 seconds