Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Suffolk Regiment Cottage Homes 2 years 4 months ago #80222

• BereniceUK
  • BereniceUK's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 2304
On Out Risbygate, Bury St Edmunds.

The Gibraltar Barracks were across the road from the Cottage Home; the Suffolk Regiment Museum is in the keep. All that's now left standing are the keep and some of the perimeter walls.
www.suffolkregimentmuseum.co.uk/site/

New memorial homes were opened in 1953, but the building I photographed was still owned by the regiment in 1963. I can't find anything about who owns the original cottage homes now.
www.britishpathe.com/video/memorial-homes-for-suffolks
The following user(s) said Thank You: QSAMIKE, azyeoman, rob carman, Moranthorse1

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Suffolk Regiment Cottage Homes 2 years 4 months ago #80225

• SWB
  • Thank you received: 452
Hello Berenice

Gildea lists two cottage homes in Bury St Edmunds, one erected by the Soldiers' and Sailors' Help Society in memory of HRH Prince Christian Victor and another described as a "Regimental Cottage Home".

This appears to be the latter. I have searched the newspapers for a clue as to the whereabouts of the Prince Christian Victor memorial cottage. Newspaper reports (e.g. Evening Star 12 February 1903) indicate there was one committee in Suffolk to erect more than one cottage using funds from the SSHS and locally raised donations.

It would be interesting to know if there are indeed two cottage homes in Bury St Edmunds.
Researcher & Collector
The Register of the Anglo-Boer Wars 1899-1902
theangloboerwars.blogspot.co.uk/
www.facebook.com/boerwarregister

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.784 seconds