Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

F. H. Foster, Queenstown Rifle Volunteers - k.i.a. at Helpmakaar Farm, 24.8.1900 3 years 4 months ago #72564

• BereniceUK
  • BereniceUK's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 2294
In Accrington Cemetery.

In Remembrance
of
FREDERICK HARTLEY FOSTER
THIRD SON OF
SAMUEL AND ELLEN ANN FOSTER
BORN AT ACCRINGTON JANUARY 9
TH 1871
WHO FELL IN ACTION AT HELPMAKAAR FARM
NEAR WINBURG, ORANGE RIVER COLONY,
SOUTH AFRICA, AUGUST 24
TH 1900
WHILST ENGAGED AS A VOLUNTEER FIGHTING
FOR HIS COUNTRY AND WAS INTERRED AT
WINBURG IN THE CEMETERY ATTACHED
TO THAT TOWN.

A second photo of the inscription, taken from an angle, which might make parts of it a little easier to read.

Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Elmarie, Moranthorse1

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

F. H. Foster, Queenstown Rifle Volunteers - k.i.a. at Helpmakaar Farm, 24.8.1900 3 years 4 months ago #72582

• Elmarie
  • Thank you received: 939
Queenstown British Cemetery

Elmarie Malherbe
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: BereniceUK, Moranthorse1

F. H. Foster, Queenstown Rifle Volunteers - k.i.a. at Helpmakaar Farm, 24.8.1900 1 year 8 months ago #84062

• BereniceUK
  • BereniceUK's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 2294
MR. F. FOSTER REPORTED KILLED.
....The name of Mr. Fred Foster, son of Mr. Saml. Foster, decorator, Accrington, appears in the list of killed this week in South Africa, though no official confirmation of the news has been received. As far as can be ascertained it is supposed that Mr. Foster was killed in a skirmish with the enemy near Winburg on Aug. 24th. On that day a force of Imperial Yeomanry and 25 infantry, under Colonel Ridley, were sent out from Winburg reconnoitering. They met with disaster, being attacked by a larger body of Boers, said to number about 1,000. This supposition is strengthened from the fact that the Queenstown Rifle Volunteers, to which the deceased belonged, was also under the command of Colonel Ridley, and when the names of the killed and wounded appeared for the Winburg affair deceased's name was included in the list. Mr. Foster, who was about 30 years of age, and was formerly employed by Mr Wormwell, ironmonger. He went out to Queenstown, South Africa, about four years ago. When war broke out he joined the Queenstown Volunteers, and had taken part in several memorable engagements. He was well-known in Accrington.
The Accrington Observer, Saturday 1st September 1900
The following user(s) said Thank You: Elmarie, Moranthorse1

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.660 seconds