Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Private Leonard E. Smith, City Imperial Volunteers - died at Pretoria 12.11.1900 4 years 6 months ago #66241

• BereniceUK
  • BereniceUK's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 2300
In Chelmsford Cathedral, although at the time of the memorial's installation it was the Church of St Mary the Virgin.

A CHELMSFORD MAN'S ROUGH SHAVE..
Pt. L. E. Smith, of the C.I.V., writing to his brother, Mr. Bert Smith, nephew of Mr. Luckin Smith, of Chelmsford, from near Winburg, says: - "I like the life we are leading now much better than being in camp, for you don't get tired of drill on this game. The orders came out that we were to shave this morning, and as I hadn't shaved for three weeks I had a rough time of it while Joe (Pt. J. Woodyard, of Chelmsford) shaved me.

Essex County Chronicle, Friday 15th June 1900

DEATH OF A CHELMSFORD C.I.V.
....Pt. L. E. Smith, of the C.I.V.'s. a nephew of Mr. F. Luckin Smith, of Chelmsford, who was left behind at Pretoria suffering from enteric fever when the C.I.V.'s returned home, has, we regret to state, died. He went out with the other Chelmsford Volunteers in the Garth Castle, and shared all the fighting and hardships with his comrades, although he had dysentery twice. While resting at Pretoria he was seized with the enteric fever, to which he succumbed on Nov. 12th. The deceased was a smart young Volunteer, and much liked by all who knew him for his ever pleasant and courteous manner. He will be much missed at the Chelmsford Y.M.C.A., where he was prominently connected with the sporting branches. The news of his death has caused a painful shock to his relatives, as on the day after the C.I.V.'s returned a letter was received from him in which he stated that he was progressing favourably, and expected to be home shortly.
Essex County Chronicle, Friday 23rd November 1900
The following user(s) said Thank You: Elmarie

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Private Leonard E. Smith, City Imperial Volunteers - died at Pretoria 12.11.1900 4 years 6 months ago #66242

• Frank Kelley
  • Thank you received: 954
797 Private Smith was subsequently buried in Pretoria in a numbered grave, his name appears upon a joint memorial at the cemetery there, a glance at WO100/231 confirms his medal and clasps and is simply marked Deceased.
The following user(s) said Thank You: BereniceUK

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.449 seconds