Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

6516 George Clarke #rd KRRC 4 years 7 months ago #65989

A chance message on the Battlefield Tours site has given me a good deal of information. My Great Uncle died on 22nd Feb at Wynne's Hill. Apparently, there is a monument there which should include his name. Equally he should be in All Saint's Church in Ladysmith. Plus he is inscribed on the monument in Norwich.
My question really is does anyone know how those killed in action were buried? Were there mass graves at the site of battle? Were the memorials placed close to these sites and if so when?
I assume that those killed on Wynne's Hill were all buried on 25th Feb when Buller negotiated a truce-- doers anyone know if this was the case? Was there a service?
Interested in all answers that may help.
David Bell

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

6516 George Clarke #rd KRRC 4 years 7 months ago #65991

• LinneyI
  • Thank you received: 1537
David
According to Kenneth Griffith in "Thank God We Kept the Flag Flying", " Came Sunday 25th February, General Buller ordered forward a flag of truce to Louis Botha and Lucas Meyer, requesting an armistice to enable the British to collect their wounded and bury their dead. The Boer leaders refused to grant a formal armistice but agreed to an informal arrangement that if the British undertook not to attack the Boer positions during that day, the Boers would allow the wounded to be collected and the dead buried." The wounded were removed to the Field Hospitals and the dead buried. If you can get hold of Griffin's book, he goes on to quote an eyewitness to the scene.
Given that hostilities would soon recommence, there was probably no actual burial service at that time.
Regards
IL.
The following user(s) said Thank You: djb, [email protected]

6516 George Clarke #rd KRRC 4 years 6 months ago #66186

• djb
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 4511
David,

if you scroll to the bottom of the first page of messages, you will see the 3rd KRRC plaque from the Anglican Church in Ladysmith.

www.angloboerwar.com/forum/6-places/2586...lican-church?start=0

Kind regards
David
Dr David Biggins
The following user(s) said Thank You: [email protected]

6516 George Clarke #rd KRRC 4 years 6 months ago #66227

Dear Dr David Biggins,
I am not sure whether I replied to this or the link you sent. Either way many thanks for the link.
I do have a further query. I see that my GU ought to have been awarded the clasp for Tugela Heights. This is missing from his medal and the record of his entitlement where he is given as dying a month earler - presumably a clerical error. Do you know if there is any way I can get this mistake rectified? Who would I need to turn to?.
Kind regards,
Dr. David Bell

6516 George Clarke #rd KRRC 4 years 6 months ago #66230

• Frank Kelley
  • Thank you received: 954
To answer your question, again, George Clarke and the other members of his battalion who were killed on Wynne's Hill were subsequently buried there, with their names upon their battalions memorial.
Regarding his medal, if you have it and it is as issued, I would certainly be happy, you could simply add the clasp, obtaining an original example should not present a problem, notwithstanding, the Ministry of Defence does not issue to second and third generations, nor does it issue Victorian campaign medals or clasps.

[email protected] wrote: A chance message on the Battlefield Tours site has given me a good deal of information. My Great Uncle died on 22nd Feb at Wynne's Hill. Apparently, there is a monument there which should include his name. Equally he should be in All Saint's Church in Ladysmith. Plus he is inscribed on the monument in Norwich.
My question really is does anyone know how those killed in action were buried? Were there mass graves at the site of battle? Were the memorials placed close to these sites and if so when?
I assume that those killed on Wynne's Hill were all buried on 25th Feb when Buller negotiated a truce-- doers anyone know if this was the case? Was there a service?
Interested in all answers that may help.
David Bell

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.907 seconds