Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Kilburn, Derbyshire 5 years 1 month ago #62751

• BereniceUK
  • BereniceUK's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 2303
The ABW memorial has had the names of Kilburn's WW1 dead added. I'd love to see a photograph of the area as it was in 1904 - was the paved area grassed then?

Corporal W. Aldred (No. 2978), of the Derbyshire Regiment, is reported to be dangerously ill at Johannesburg suffering from meningitis.

Derby Daily Telegraph, Wednesday 24th April 1901

WAR MEMORIAL AT KILBURN . - At a cost of £40, half of which has been raised by public subscription, and the other half remains to be collected, a marble column, erected in the principal thoroughfare, in celebration of the declaration of peace, and in memory of two local soldiers, was unveiled at Kilburn, near Derby, on Saturday, in the presence of a great crowd, the ceremony being performed by Mr. Wm. Smith, J.P., of Langley Mill. The base of the column bears the following inscriptions: - "Erected by the inhabitants of Kilburn in memory of two men of the village who fought and died in the South African war;" "In memory of William Aldred, who died in Johannesburg Hospital, May 5, 1901, and Private Henry Berresford, who was killed in action at Naauwpoort, May 9, 1901;" and "Also to commemorate the declaration of peace, June 1, 1902." A guard of honour was formed by the Kilburn and Horsley Woodhouse detachment of the 1st V.B. Sherwood Foresters, under Sergeant-instructor Donoghue, and a procession of the Sunday schools and Friendly Societies, headed by the Kilburn United Prize Band, paraded the village. After the ceremony a garden party was held in the hall grounds, lent by Mr. V. Hunter.

Derby Daily Telegraph, Monday 20th June 1904

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Kilburn, Derbyshire 5 years 1 month ago #62753

• Frank Kelley
  • Thank you received: 954
I've passed that on a couple of occasions in recent years, but, never bothered to stop and actually look at it properly, a friend in Derby tells me that it has been the subject of vandalism hence the comprehensive restoration.

Kilburn, Derbyshire 5 years 1 month ago #62756

• BereniceUK
  • BereniceUK's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 2303
I wasn't aware when I visited, but the restoration had only been completed a few weeks before I was there. www.kilburnparishcouncil.org.uk/blog/war...orial-rededication-1
I think a few shrubs would improve the site's appearance, but not if they'd attract further vandalism.

The Derbyshire Constabulary's Crime Map shows how much more crime there is in Kilburn, compared to the smaller villages in the area.
www.police.uk/derbyshire/NR11/crime/

Kilburn, Derbyshire 5 years 1 month ago #62757

• Frank Kelley
  • Thank you received: 954
I just mentioned it earlier today after reading this thread, but, that is what I was told, I'll be sure to make time to look at this memorial as and when I find myself in Derby, but, it is good to see money has been spent on this at least.

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.807 seconds