Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Capt. F.D. Murray, Black Watch,commanding 2nd Scottish Horse - k.i.a. 30.10.1901 5 years 4 months ago #61233

• BereniceUK
  • BereniceUK's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 2294
The memorial is in Christ Church, Epsom, Surrey. His connection with Epsom is that, from 1878, his parents, and their children, lived at Woodcote Hall, South Street, Epsom.

He's also remembered on the Eton College memorial, the Black Watch memorial in Perth, Scotland, and the Black Watch memorial in Edinburgh.

To the Glory of God
In Memory of
Frederick Dymoke Murray.
Captain and Brevet Major
42nd Royal Highlanders Black Watch
Commanding 2nd Regt. Scottish Horse,
[with Colonel Benson's Column]
who fell making the last stand with the Guns
at the Battle of Bakenlaagte South Africa,
on October 30th 1901 in the 30th year of his age.

At bottom right of the inscription is the engraving company's name, Jones and Willis. www.harringayonline.com/forum/topics/jon...=historyofharringay&

Major Frederick Dymoke Murray, one of the killed, belonged to the Black Watch, but was commanding the 2d Regiment of Scottish Horse. He was in his 30th year. His services in the present campaign had been twice mentioned in despatches by Sir Redvers Buller. He joined the Black Watch ten years ago.
Edinburgh Evening News, Monday 4th November 1901

Major Frederick Dymoke Murray, of the Scottish Horse, and of the Black Watch (Royal Highlanders), was born on April 28th, 1872, and entered the Royal Highlanders on December 5th, 1891, in which regiment he received his lieutenancy on July 29th, 1896. From August 1st, 1898, till October 8th, 1899, he was aide-de-camp to the Hon. Sir Walter Francis Hely-Hutchinson, G.C.M.G., the late Governor and Commander-in-Chief in Natal; in October was aide-de-camp to the Lieutenant-General commanding a division, and from December 1st, 1899, till September 24th, 1900, was a signalling officer of a mounted Brigade of the Natal Field Force, graded as a staff captain. He was also again an aide-de-camp to the Governor and Commander-in-Chief in Natal, and during the earlier portion of the war was also acting brigade major to an infantry brigade.
Nottingham Evening Post, Monday 4th November 1901

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Capt. F.D. Murray, Black Watch,commanding 2nd Scottish Horse - k.i.a. 30.10.1901 5 years 4 months ago #61234

• QSAMIKE
  • Thank you received: 1873
I will say that this is one of the most distinctive wall plaque that I have ever seen.....
Thank You Berenice but I am sure that you have seen some odd ones...…

Mike
Life Member
Past-President Calgary
Military Historical Society
O.M.R.S. 1591

Capt. F.D. Murray, Black Watch,commanding 2nd Scottish Horse - k.i.a. 30.10.1901 5 years 4 months ago #61235

• BereniceUK
  • BereniceUK's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 2294
Actually, I think this is one of the most unusual ones I've seen, Mike! I'd seen a photo of it beforehand, but that didn't give any indication of its size. Must have cost a small fortune to have made, I'd think.

Capt. F.D. Murray, Black Watch,commanding 2nd Scottish Horse - k.i.a. 30.10.1901 5 months 2 weeks ago #92378

• Neville_C
  • Thank you received: 1902
Telegram from Major Murray to Colonel Benson, 15 June 1901

Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Elmarie, EFV

Capt. F.D. Murray, Black Watch,commanding 2nd Scottish Horse - k.i.a. 30.10.1901 5 months 2 weeks ago #92381

• Elmarie
  • Thank you received: 939
Elmarie Malherbe
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: EFV, Neville_C

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.577 seconds