Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Private Andrew Gardner, 12th Royal Lancers - died 5.4.1901 5 years 9 months ago #59429

• BereniceUK
  • BereniceUK's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 2304
In St Medan's Church, Drummore, Galloway, Scotland. A standard 12th Lancers memorial plaque, this is, I think, the only ABW memorial in the former county of Wigtownshire.

The following user(s) said Thank You: Elmarie

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Private Andrew Gardner, 12th Royal Lancers - died 5.4.1901 5 years 9 months ago #59430

• Elmarie
  • Thank you received: 950
Vryheid Cemetery, South Africa - British Memorial

Elmarie Malherbe
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: BereniceUK

Private Andrew Gardner, 12th Royal Lancers - died 5.4.1901 5 years 9 months ago #59433

• LinneyI
  • Thank you received: 1537
Berenice
Palmer has "4274 Pte. A.Gardner, 12th Lancers, Died of Disease, Vryheid, 5/4/01". My "cavalry" CD shows this man with clasps Cape Colony, Orange Free State, Transvaal and SA1901. It also lists him as "4274 Gardner J" with note "A Gardiner" on 2nd and Casualty roll (SAFF)".
Regards
IL.
The following user(s) said Thank You: BereniceUK

Private Andrew Gardner, 12th Royal Lancers - died 5.4.1901 5 years 9 months ago #59441

• Frank Kelley
  • Thank you received: 954
That is most interesting and superb plaque, I assume it must have been commissioned at least two years after Gardner's death?

BereniceUK wrote: In St Medan's Church, Drummore, Galloway, Scotland. A standard 12th Lancers memorial plaque, this is, I think, the only ABW memorial in the former county of Wigtownshire.

Private Andrew Gardner, 12th Royal Lancers - died 5.4.1901 5 years 9 months ago #59443

• BereniceUK
  • BereniceUK's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 2304
It's a standard 12th Lancers design, Frank, which, as far as I can make out, were installed in a place of worship in the town or village where a deceased soldier had lived, unless they had already been named on another memorial in said place. So, for example, the ABW memorial for Middlesbrough includes the name of a 12th Lancer, but there doesn't seem to be an individual memorial for him there.

Here's one near Sevenoaks, Kent - www.iwm.org.uk/memorials/item/memorial/40788

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.486 seconds