Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Buckinghamshire County Memorial 5 years 10 months ago #59365

• BereniceUK
  • BereniceUK's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 2303
Sited on the highest point of the Chilterns, Coombe Hill, with wonderful views (except for when I visited!) to the west, including Chequers, the country house of the Prime Minister, and which is itself a war memorial (WW1). Unveiled in 1904, the obelisk was struck by lightning in 1938, and almost completely destroyed. It was rebuilt, and during WW2 the obelisk was camouflaged. In 1972 the bronze plaque and flags were stolen, to be replaced with a marble plaque and iron flags. There was further severe damage in the early 1990s from another lightning strike, repaired to the appearance it currently has.

www.nationaltrust.org.uk/chilterns-count...story-of-coombe-hill

There was low cloud the morning I went, so I missed out on the view; the photos turned out okay, but I'd love to return on a better day

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Buckinghamshire County Memorial 5 years 10 months ago #59366

• BereniceUK
MEMORIAL TO BUCKINGHAMSHIRE SOLDIERS.
At the last Buckinghamshire Quarter Sessions, the question of erecting a permanent memorial to Bucks soldiers who fell in the war in South Africa was raised by Lord Rothschild. The committee then appointed have come to a decision, and their recommendation is somewhat of a novelty, though it has something to recommend it. It is proposed to erect an obelisk upon one of the highest and most conspicuous points on the Chiltern Hills, and, of course, the names of the men will appear on it. The highest hills in the Chilterns are 905ft., near Wendover; Ivinghoe Hills come next, with 904, and Brill with 744ft. If the suggestion is carried out, it is almost certain the Wendover district would have the precedence. Lord Rothschild has headed the list with a subscription of £100, and the other promises make a total of £250.
Northampton Mercury, Friday 7th June 1901

A WAR MEMORIAL OBELISK.
At Bucks Quarter Sessions on Monday the war Memorial Committee, of which Lord Rothschild is chairman, reported that they had decided to erect an obelisk on Coombe Hill, Ellesborough, on which the names of soldiers would be inscribed. A sum of £840 had been subscribed.
Cheltenham Chronicle, Saturday 19th October 1901

BUCKS WAR MEMORIAL.
The amount of the subscriptions already paid or promised towards the cost of the Granite Obelisk to be erected on Coombe Hill, in honour of the Bucks officers and men who lost their lives in the late war in South Africa, now amounts to £1,044, the cost of the erection of the memorial being £1,255.
The subscription list is still open, and subscriptions can be paid to the Honorary Secretary (Mr. Wm. Crouch, County Hall, Aylesbury).
The Bucks Herald, Saturday 17th January 1903

BUCKS WAR MEMORIAL.
The inscription for the memorial about to be erected on Coombe Hill has been completed and sent to the contractors (Messrs. Whitehead and Sons, 74, Rochester-row, Westminster, S.W.), in order that the bronze tablet on which the names are to be inscribed may be prepared.

The list of names for the inscription has been compiled for particulars obtained from the following sources, amongst others: - The District and Parish Councils throughout the county; the local branches of the Soldiers and Sailors Families' Association; the local Press (which gave valuable assistance by gratuitously publishing the list and inviting corrections and additions); Colonel the Hon. A. E. Dalzell (as regards the 1st Oxfordshire Light Infantry); Colonel Lord Orkney (as regards the 3rd Oxfordshire Light Infantry); Colonel H. L. W. Lawson (as to the Bucks Imperial Yeomanry); Colonel A. Gilbey (with regard to the Volunteer Service Company); to all of whom the Hon. Sec. desires, on behalf of the committee, to offer his best thanks for valuable assistance and advice, as well as to Major-General Lord Chesham, K.C.B., who was consulted with regard to the Imperial Yeomanry, and to Major the Hon. T. F. Fremantle, through whose assistance the list was verified at the War Office.

There will be on the inscription 148 names of officers and men who have fallen in the war, namely: -
1st Oxfordshire Light Infantry . ………….…………………….… 24
3rd Oxfordshire Light Infantry ……………………………………. 12
Volunteer Service Company 1st Oxfordshire L.I. .………………. 5
Imperial Yeomanry (Bucks Squadrons) …………………………. 26
Bucks Officers and Men serving in other Regiments ………….. 81
……………………………………………………………………….148

The contractors propose to commence the work upon the site immediately after Easter.
The subscriptions list is still open, and subscriptions list may be paid to the Hon. Sec., Mr. W. Crouch, County Hall, Aylesbury.
The Bucks Herald, Saturday 4th April 1903

"AN UNCONSECRATED WAR MEMORIAL."
Writing to the Editor of The Broad Arrow of the 10th inst., under the above heading, "A Subscriber" thus refers to the Bucks War Memorial and its non-unveiling: -
"SIR, - Items even which, in a slight degree, affect either the active worker or passive well-wisher, receive attention at my hands in my spare moments. The ominous headline of this letter need not be alarming to Service men when explanations are made, for it was not until I read the correspondence which has appeared in your journal, and further information was volunteered to me, that I decided to address you on the subject of the non-unveiling of the Bucks War Memorial, and this item is of more than passing importance. Although I claim to have been helpful towards its construction and am otherwise interested (I enclose my card) I have not yet inspected the noble structure which is described by Army men as a grand obelisk in a grand position, and far away the best of its kind they have visited. It transpires that a sufficiency of funds was not forthcoming to carry out the work, and a large deficit had to be privately met, which apparently makes a hole in the manners of Bucks loyalty; but inquiries disclose the fact that the requirements of the Lord Lieutenant were not ventilated to the county proper, and notices only reached a section of the people. The Vicar of my Bucks parish, in sympathy with all others, together with the heads of the various religious denominations, would gladly have devoted the proceeds of a Sunday collection set apart for the purpose of assisting the funds in a representative form from the entire county, and this method of procedure would have met with the fullest approval. It is scarcely held to be consistent that the death of the gentleman who graciously presented the site, and whose decease is deplored, should place any bar on the dedication of the memorial. Further preambles as to Coombe Hill not being easy of access has also been adequately referred to in the correspondence before mentioned, and goes for what it is worth.

"At a recent Unionist meeting at Halton Park, the seat of Mr. Alfred Rothschild, the Lord Lieutenant of the county of Bucks at the close of his exceedingly well turned political speech, made reference to the subject in question, and it was patent to his lordship that no more conclusive evidence was required than the acclamations, both from the platform and the general assemblage, his remarks received anent this matter. He is however reported by the county journal to have said: "The committee who put up the memorial found it had very small funds at its disposal to carry out a public opening." When Lord Cottesloe, at the last Bucks Quarter sessions, made his clear statement (in the absence of the Lord Lieutenant) respecting the War Memorial, he publicly mentioned that there was a heavy deficit, which at once disposes of the 'small fund at disposal for public opening.' Moreover, with all deference to his lordship, whose kind heart is always full of good philanthropic work, personally I do not see how any liability should be attached but individually to those who attend the ceremony, which of itself must necessarily be of short duration. Plain and unostentatious rites are all our dead heroes would have prescribed, platform rhetoric would have been repulsive to such souls. They gave their lives on the turf, so in sympathy with their good wishes - if they or theirs have any part in this way - let the turf be the ground for orations, for a gala day is apart from my mind."

The Editor of The Broad Arrow, commenting on the above, says: - "It is with some satisfaction that we learn that, as a result of the correspondence in our columns, there is a likelihood of the Bucks War Memorial being at last unveiled with befitting ceremony and formally handed over to the county. Lord Rothschild, in addressing a political gathering at Halton Park recently, said: 'If the inhabitants of Mid Bucks desired a public opening, the Magistrates and himself would try and arrange for one.' This is as it should be, and Lord Rothschild and the Memorial Committee are to be congratulated on having come to so welcome a decision. From the letters that have been addressed to us on the subject it was apparent that the feeling in the county generally favoured the idea of an unveiling ceremony taking place, and the departure from the original plan under which this function was arranged for was much deplored. As "A Subscriber" points out in our columns to-day, little difficulty would have been found in providing ample funds, not only to prevent a deficit being met from private sources but sufficient to more than cover any expenses necessary in connection with the dedication, if the county had been appealed to generally. The memorial is one of the handsomest that has been erected in honour of our brave dead who died for their country in South Africa, and the site on Coombe Hill, so generously presented by the late owner of the land, is one of the finest in beautiful Bucks. We know that it must have been quite against Lord Rothschild's kindly nature to disappoint the friends and relatives of those whose names are inscribed on the memorial, and it was doubtless but a want of thought that caused the applications for subscriptions to be confined to a section only of the well-to-do classes of the shire, which resulted in the amount subscribed originally being insufficient for all the purposes intended. Private generosity has provided for one resultant evil, and now Lord Rothschild, with his well-known kindness and tact, has gone a long way to remedy the other."
The Bucks Herald, Saturday 17th September 1904

BUCKS WAR MEMORIAL.
The Bucks memorial to the men of that county who lost their lives in the Boer War, which takes the form of an obelisk, 50 feet high, erected on Coombe Hill, the highest point of the Chilterns, was publicly unveiled on Friday in the presence of a large company. the ceremony was arranged to be performed by Lord Rothschild, the Lord Lieutenant of the County, but owing to indisposition he was prevented from being present, and his place was taken by Lord Cottesloe, chairman of the Bucks Quarter Sessions. A guard of honour was formed of 100 men of the 2nd Oxfordshire Light Infantry under Captain Frith with Lieutenants Popham and Dillon. Amongst those present were Earl and Countess Carrington, Viscount Wendover, Lord Addington, Sir R. Dashwood, Colonel the Hon. H. L. W. Lawson, Colonel Strachan (Commanding the 43rd Regimental District), Lady Hilda Mosley, and Mr. Tonman Mosley (Chairman of the Bucks County Council). - Lord Cottesloe said Lord Rothschild had written saying how sorry he was to be absent on that historic occasion of doing honour to the brave men who died for their country. Lord Cottesloe expressed a hope that the obelisk might long stand on that spur of the Chilterns, demonstrating the gratitude of the county to her sons for their services to their country. The bugles then sounded the "Last Post," and three volleys were fired by the 3rd Oxfordshire Light Infantry. The ceremony closed with the National Anthem.
Northampton Mercury, Friday 11th November 1904

The nine names that were added to the original 148 are highlighted in blue below.

ROLL of HONOUR.

The following is a list of the names of the men inscribed on the Monument: -

1ST OXFORDSHIRE LIGHT INFANTRY.
Major Day, C. R.
Colr.-Sergt. Olney, G.
Sergt. Cadley, F.
" Clarke, C.
Corpl. Walker, A. G.
Lc.-Corpl. Coleman, W.
Pte. Baldwin, W.
" Beckley, J.
" Brooks, W.
" Cripps, T. A.
" Crouch, G.
" Edwards, B.
" Faulkner, J.
" Goldswain, J.
" Harris, G.
" Huckins, A.
" Hunt, E.
" Jones, R.
" Lidgley, W.
" Page, R.
" Puddifoot, F.
" Sawbridge, J.
" Stanton, A.
" Warner, E.
" Yerby, F.

3RD OXFORDSHIRE LIGHT INFANTRY (ROYAL BUCKS KING'S OWN MILITIA).
Pte. Allnutt, O.
" Barton, W.
" Bowles, F.
" Brown, A.
" Coleman, G.
" Houlton, C.
" Kentish, J.
" King, G.
" Portsmouth, J.
" Simmonds, J.
" Smith, H.
" Tilbury, C.
" Walker, W.

VOLUNTEER SERVICE CO. 1ST OXFORDSHIRE LIGHT INFANTRY.
Pte. Bowles, R.
" Coulton, L. N.
" Gould, J. M.
" Hobbs, C. H.
" Turton, G. E.

IMPERIAL YEOMANRY.
10th Batt. 1st Bucks Squadron.
Sergt. Bennett, E.
" Campbell, P.
Lc. Sergt. Richardson, F.
Shoe'g. Smith Bennett, C.
Pte. Dancer, F.
" Hopkins, F.
10th Batt. 2nd Bucks Squadron.
Lieut. Arbuthnott, F.
" Harper, J. F.
Sergt. Gilham, H. A.
Farrier-Sergt. Eldridge, S. J.
Pte. Goodliff, W.
" Gunn, P. H.
" Mead, D. S.
" Nash, F.
" Plumridge, W.
" Smith, F. W.
15th Batt. 3rd Bucks Squadron.
Pte. Cole, C. G. S.
" Skipworth, J.
" Stapleton, K.
15th Batt. 4th Bucks Squadron.
Lieut. Slater, S. A.
Sergt.-Maj. White, J.D.
Pte. Firth, T.
" Hudson, A. C.
" Macken, E.
" Norman, S. R.
" Sedman, J.
4th Batt. 10th (or 105th?) Co.
Q.-M.-Sergt. Vergette, H. W.
5th Batt. 14th Co.
Pte. Weatherhead, H.
7th Batt. 27th Co.
Pte. Woods, A. J.
10th Batt. 39th Co.
Pte. Rogers, A.
11th Batt. 35th Co.
Pte. Bond, J.
22nd Batt. 84th Co.
Farrier-Sergt. Wakefield, J.
Base Depot Co.
Pte. Horn, J.
" Piggott, W.

5TH DRAGOON GUARDS.
Pte. Arnott, F. (Bray, W.)
" Butler, T.
" Pearce, A.

6TH DRAGOON GUARDS.
Pte. Butler, H.

6TH (INNISKILLING) DRAGOONS.
Pte. Clark, F. G.

10TH (ROYAL) HUSSARS.
Major Harvey, Chas. Bateson.
Capt. Meeking, Bertram C. C. S.

13TH HUSSARS.
Pte. Basden, J.

16TH LANCERS.
Captain Bellew, R. W. D.
Corpl. Wootton, P. R.

17TH LANCERS.
Lieut. Cavendish, Hon. Chas. W. H.

19TH HUSSARS.
Pte. Kentish, C.
" Lowman, C.

ROYAL HORSE ARTILLERY.
Gunner Shortland, G. H.
R Battery.
Driver Adkins, A. C.
U Battery.
Sergt. Cherry, J.

ROYAL FIELD ARTILLERY.
5th Battery.
Gunner Banks, H.
21st Battery.
Bombr. Cross, R.
38th Battery.
Driver, Lucas, A.
67th Battery.
Gunner Lovell, J.
73rd Battery.
Shoe'g. Smith Sawyer, C.

ROYAL GARRISON ARTILLERY.
14th Co. W.D.
Gunner Edwards, H.

26TH ROYAL ENGINEERS.
Sergt. Rogers, W.

29TH ROYAL ENGINEERS.
Lc.-Corpl. Wiggins, W.

1ST TEL. DIV. ROYAL ENGINEERS.
Sapper Plumridge, G. E.

A. PONTOON TROOP ROYAL ENGINEERS.
Driver Garrett, H.

2ND GRENADIER GUARDS.
2nd Lieut. Meeking, Kenneth C. E.
Lc.-Sergt. Holt, T.
Pte. Barrett, T.
" Cooper, A. C.
" Stannett, E.

3rd GRENADIER GUARDS.
Sergt. Linwood, A.
Lc. Sergt. F. Priest
Corpl. Bates, L. E.
Pte. Johnson, J.

1ST SCOTS GUARDS.
Lc.-Sergt. Almond, C. F.

1ST NORTHUMBERLAND FUSILIERS.
Pte. Howlett, F. W.
" Jeffs, A. C.

1ST LIVERPOOL REGT.
Corpl. Plowman, C.

2ND BEDFORDSHIRE REGT. (M.I.)
Pte. Aldridge, A.
" Shepherd, H.

2ND BEDFORDSHIRE REGT.
Pte. Grey, J. H.

1ST YORKSHIRE REGT.
Pte. Rolfe, H.

2ND EAST SURREY REGT.
Pte. Horlock, J. G.

2ND DUKE OF CORNWALL'S LIGHT INFANTRY.
Pte. Southby, G. J.

1ST WEST RIDING REGT. (M.I.)
Sergt. Marks, R. W.

2ND DORSETSHIRE REGIMENT.
Lc.-Corpl. Collier, E.

2ND NORTHAMPTONSHIRE REGIMENT.
Pte. Robinson, J.

2ND ROYAL BERKSHIRE REGIMENT (M.I.).
Lc.-Corpl. Hanson, G.

2ND ROYAL BERKSHIRE REGIMENT.
Corpl. White, W.
Pte. Edwards, H.
" Middleton, A.
" Taylor, A.
" Townsend, G.

2ND SHROPSHIRE LIGHT INFANTRY.
Col.-Sergt. Scouse, H. C.

2ND MIDDLESEX REGIMENT.
Corpl. Ashby, E. A.
Pte. Simcocks, W. E.

1ST KING'S ROYAL RIFLES.
Major Myers, W. J.

2ND KING'S ROYAL RIFLES.
Corpl. Lodge, A.

2ND GORDON HIGHLANDERS.
Lieut. Campbell, Ian A.

1ST ARGYLL AND SUTHERLAND HIGHLANDERS.
Pte. Greig, A.

1ST RIFLE BRIGADE.
Corpl. Gregory, T. S.
Pte. Chilton, L.

2ND RIFLE BRIGADE.
2nd Lieut. Hall, Lewis Duval.
Bugler, Willis, P.

ARMY SERVICE CORPS.
Corpl. Tubb, H.
Lc.-Corpl. Wooster, A.
Driver Wallis, F.

ROYAL ARMY MED. STAFF CORPS.
Lc.-Corpl. Crocker, J. E.

ROYAL ARMY MED. CORPS.
Pte. Britnell, E. E.
" Mapley, A. H.

MILITARY FOOT POLICE.
Lc.-Corpl. Roads, J.

CITY IMPERIAL VOLUNTEERS.
Corpl. French, A. G. P.

CAPE MOUNTED RIFLES.
Trooper Horwood, Percival E.

PROTECTORATE REGT.
Pte. Gurney, A. F.

EASTERN PROVINCE HORSE.
Trooper Ruddlesdin, G.

IMPERIAL LIGHT INFANTRY.
Pte. Tattam, W. J. (late Royal Bucks Hussars.)

VICTORIA BUSHMEN.
Sergt. Huirst, J. S.

1ST BERKS R.V.C.
Pte. Candy, G. H. D.

8th KING'S ROYAL IRISH HUSSARS.
Pte. McIlvenny, H.

The Bucks Herald, Saturday 12th November 1904

* I transcribed the list of original names from a supplement that came with The Bucks Herald, 12.11.1904. The photo was taken from the same source - on the right can be seen the Band of the 2nd Oxfordshire Light Infantry, conducted by Bandmaster Bradley, who was present at Isandula [Isandlwana]. At the front, facing the obelisk, appears to be the guard of honour, 100 men of the 2nd Oxfordshire Light Infantry (the Bucks Territorial Regiment).
The canopy immediately to the left of the obelisk was for "the accommodation of some of the principal visitors," then, further left, is a tent. You may just be able to make out another tent behind - one was for the use of the military, the other for the robing of the clergy and choir.

Buckinghamshire County Memorial 5 years 10 months ago #59370

• Frank Kelley
  • Thank you received: 954
Oh dear, you could certainly have picked a better day for that walk, I well remember a good few years ago, having to go for an evening walk after a rather long session in the Red Lion, a short stroll up the High Street, across the railway bridge and a 30 minute march to the top, but, well worth the while, given the view when the sun came up, some four and a half hours, or so later,
a truly superb place, Bar coombe Hill
The following user(s) said Thank You: BereniceUK

Buckinghamshire County Memorial 5 years 10 months ago #59372

• BereniceUK
A summer morning walk to the obelisk just before daybreak, and then taking in the view as the sun rose would be wonderful. I'll keep that in mind for when I go back.

Buckinghamshire County Memorial 5 years 10 months ago #59373

• Frank Kelley
  • Thank you received: 954
Indeed, a really lovely part of little England find yourself in, Wendover, Aston Clinton and Tring, rich in history and a number of very fine watering holes!

Buckinghamshire County Memorial 5 years 10 months ago #59380

• Elmarie
  • Thank you received: 950
South Africa-Paardeberg: Gruisbank Cemetery

Elmarie Malherbe
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: BereniceUK

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.574 seconds