Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Students call for removal of Pres M.T. Steyn Statue/ Monument 5 years 11 months ago #58341

• Elmarie
  • Elmarie's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 939
Here are another sad story for our history...

Elmarie Malherbe
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Students call for removal of Pres M.T. Steyn Statue/ Monument 5 years 11 months ago #58342

• BereniceUK
  • Thank you received: 2294
President between 1896 and 1902. Apartheid existed in South Africa between 1948 and 1994, unless I'm reading the wrong history.
www.sahistory.org.za/article/history-apartheid-south-africa
The following user(s) said Thank You: Elmarie

Students call for removal of Pres M.T. Steyn Statue/ Monument 5 years 11 months ago #58343

• Elmarie
  • Elmarie's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 939
Hi Berenice

You are right, these students have no clue about our history during the Anglo-Boer War. In fact students collected money to erect the statue in 1929.

It seems to me the chances are 90% that they will removed the statue to the War Museum where Pres Steyn is also buried at the foot of the Women's Memorial on 3 December 1916.
Elmarie Malherbe

Students call for removal of Pres M.T. Steyn Statue/ Monument 5 years 11 months ago #58344

• BereniceUK
  • Thank you received: 2294

Elmarie wrote: ...these students have no clue about our history...

No different than most students of that age around the world, I would think. My history lessons at school in the late 1960s seemed to be mostly about the Reformation. We had to learn the general lay-out of a monastery, but never learnt a thing about the British Empire or 20th century history, as best that I can recall.

Students call for removal of Pres M.T. Steyn Statue/ Monument 5 years 11 months ago #58347

• Brett Hendey
  • Thank you received: 716
The South African President met with the British Prime Minister yesterday to discuss increasing British investment in SA, and in securing additional grants for good works here. Perhaps some of the new financial aid can be diverted from its intended purpose to paying for the removal of relics of the past that offend the budding intellectuals in our universities.

Brett

Students call for removal of Pres M.T. Steyn Statue/ Monument 5 years 11 months ago #58348

• Frank Kelley
  • Thank you received: 954
I think it is very sad, indeed, for a group to seek to erase part of part of history, simply because that particular group happen not to like it, notwithstanding, it is quite normal throughout society across the world these days

Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.431 seconds