Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Grave photo request - 2610 Gnr B Gowing - KIA 29 Nov 1900 6 years 3 months ago #56944

• gru7188
  • gru7188's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 0
Hi All,

I have been researching NSW Fire Brigade members who served in Australia's wars and have identified, 2610 Gnr Bernard Gowing, a former Volunteer Fireman from the Albury Fire Brigade, who was KIA, serving with A Bty RAA at Vryburg, South Africa, during the Boer War on 29 Nov 1900.

It has been noted that he was buried at Cauwrant, South Africa, but I am unsure how accurate this is.

He is listed as buried at Vryburg G of R (unsure what this means).

I am hoping to obtain a photo of his grave and headstone and if any SA based members are in the vicinity of his grave, if it still exists.

He received the QSA with 4 clasps:

Cape Colony
Orange Free State,
Transvaal
South Africa 1901

Thanks

Ian - [email protected]

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Grave photo request - 2610 Gnr B Gowing - KIA 29 Nov 1900 6 years 3 months ago #56947

• LinneyI
  • Thank you received: 1537
Ian
If you go to OZ-Boer database, you will find certain details of "2610 Gunner Bernard Gowing" there. Vryburg G of R means "Garden of Rest". Your man was a blacksmith active in the local fire brigade and left Albury in 1897 to join the NSW Permanent Artillery.
Regards
IL.

Grave photo request - 2610 Gnr B Gowing - KIA 29 Nov 1900 6 years 3 months ago #56948

• Adrian123456
  • Thank you received: 245
Hi Ian
Curtesy of Chris McQuellin. Albury & District Historical Society 2013. www.alburyhistory.org.au

Regards

Adrian

This message has an attachment file.
Please log in or register to see it.

Grave photo request - 2610 Gnr B Gowing - KIA 29 Nov 1900 6 years 3 months ago #56949

• gru7188
  • gru7188's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 0
Many Thanks Adrian,

Ian

Grave photo request - 2610 Gnr B Gowing - KIA 29 Nov 1900 6 years 3 months ago #56956

• Frank Kelley
  • Thank you received: 954
Interestingly, a brief glance at Watt suggests that Gowing died of wounds at Schweizer Reneke on the date you mention and that he was originally buried at Vryburg Old Cemetery, but, was subsequently exhumed, with his name now on a main memorial.

gru7188 wrote: Hi All,

I have been researching NSW Fire Brigade members who served in Australia's wars and have identified, 2610 Gnr Bernard Gowing, a former Volunteer Fireman from the Albury Fire Brigade, who was KIA, serving with A Bty RAA at Vryburg, South Africa, during the Boer War on 29 Nov 1900.

It has been noted that he was buried at Cauwrant, South Africa, but I am unsure how accurate this is.

He is listed as buried at Vryburg G of R (unsure what this means).

I am hoping to obtain a photo of his grave and headstone and if any SA based members are in the vicinity of his grave, if it still exists.

He received the QSA with 4 clasps:

Cape Colony
Orange Free State,
Transvaal
South Africa 1901

Thanks

Ian - [email protected]

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.544 seconds