Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Lieutenant Hugh Stewart McCorquodale 6 years 10 months ago #53572

• BereniceUK
  • BereniceUK's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 2294
In St. Sadwrn's Churchyard, Llansadwrn, Anglesey, Wales. More on H. S. McCorquodale here - www.angloboerwar.com/forum/17-memorials-...akerfield-lancashire

THIS CROSS WAS ERECTED BY THE
PEOPLE OF THIS PARISH IN MEMORY
OF HUGH STEWART McCORQUODALE
LIEUTENANT THORNEYCROFT'S MOUNTED
INFANTRY YOUNGEST SON OF GEORGE
McCORQUODALE OF GADLYS WHO AT
THE CALL OF DUTY VOLUNTEERED FOR
ACTIVE SERVICE IN SOUTH AFRICA
AND FELL GALLANTLY FIGHTING ON
SPION KOP NATAL ON 24 JANUARY
1900 AND WAS BURIED ON THE
FIELD OF BATTLE.

BE THOU FAITHFUL UNTO DEATH AND I WILL
GIVE THEE A CROWN OF LIFE. GREATER LOVE
HATH NO MAN THAN THIS, THAT A MAN
LAY DOWN HIS LIFE FOR HIS FRIENDS.

The reverse of the memorial.

MEMORIAL CROSS. - On Thursday, a cross raised through contributions by the residents of Llansadwrn, was unveiled in memory of the late Mr. H. S. McCorquodale, Gadlys, who went to the South African war, and was killed at Spion Kop. On the cross is the following inscription: - "This cross was erected by the parishioners in memory of Hugh Stewart McCorquodale, lieutenant, Thorneycroft's Horse, the youngest son of George McCorquodale, Gadlys, who volunteered to serve his country in South Africa, and fell, while bravely fighting at Spion Kop, Natal, January 24th, 1900."

(Carnarvon and Denbigh Herald, Friday 15th August 1902)
The following user(s) said Thank You: djb, Elmarie, Frank Kelley

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Lieutenant Hugh Stewart McCorquodale 6 years 10 months ago #53573

• BereniceUK
Inside the church.

I tried to edit the above photo to bring out the inscription better, but not too successfully.
BE THOU FAITHFUL UNTO DEATH
To the memory of
Hugh Stewart McCorquodale
Lieutenant
Thorneycrofts Mounted Infantry
Born 18 August 1875
Son of George McCorquodale
and his wife Emily,
he fell gallantly fighting for
his Queen and Country
at Spion Kop, Natal
on 24 January 1900

Requiescat in pace
AND I WILL GIVE THEE A CROWN OF LIFE

....Lieutenant Hugh Stewart McCorquodale, who was killed at the battle of Spion Kop, was the only son of Mrs. McCorquodale, of Gadlys, Llansadwrn, Anglesey. He was 24 years of age, and was educated at Harrow, where he distinguished himself, and at Cambridge, where he again proved himself a clever scholar, passing with distinction in various subjects. After leaving college he travelled on the Continent, and visited Egypt, and on his return home, at the annual tea party given at Gadlys to the children of the parish and their parents, he gave a magic lantern lecture on his trip, exhibiting views he had himself taken. Subsequently, he joined the firm of Messrs. McCorquodale and Co., Ltd., and went to reside in London, though he spent part of his time at Gadlys, and, as a dutiful son, was very fond of running down to spend a Sunday with his mother, and he greatly appreciated and enjoyed the quiet services at the little church of Llansadwrn. He was an ardent sportsman. Hunting, fishing, shooting, and, in fact, every kind of sport interested him, though trout fishing was one of his favourite pastimes. He, with a friend, went out to South Africa, simply with the idea of having a tour through that interesting country, and not with the intention of taking part in the war. Evidently, he fell a victim to the martial spirit which is abroad among Britons at the present time and, being a good horseman and shot, had no difficulty in obtaining a commission as lieutenant in Thorneycroft's mounted infantry, and, in doing his duty to his Queen and country, he risked and lost his life. His death is deeply lamented by all who knew him, and especially by the parishioners of Llansadwrn, where he was so well-known and respected; his genial disposition and kind-heartedness made him a favourite with everyone. On the death of his respected father, he was appointed to succeed him as the rector's warden, and he took the greatest interest in everything connected with the Church - reading the lessons and that in a most devout and impressive manner, subscribing handsomely to all the Church Societies, making up any deficit in the Church accounts, and always willing to help in any good cause, he indeed "magnified his office," and his loss will be irreparable.
....A memorial service, simple in its arrangement, but deeply solemn and impressive, was held at Llansadwrn church on Wednesday, the 31st ult., at 4 o'clock, and though the notice was short, the service was very well attended. Two hymns were sung, "On the Resurrection morning" and "Peace, perfect peace;" a portion of the "Order for the burial of the dead" was read, together with the versicles and responses used at St. Paul's at the memorial service for those who have fallen in the war. R. I. P.
The North Wales Chronicle and Advertiser for the Principality, Saturday, February 10th, 1900
The following user(s) said Thank You: djb, Elmarie, Frank Kelley

Lieutenant Hugh Stewart McCorquodale 6 years 10 months ago #53575

• Frank Kelley
  • Thank you received: 954
Anglesey is so very beautiful at this time of year, super images, money was very clearly not an issue, when it came down to remembering the fallen on that wretched Kop, it makes you realise how important this battle was at the time it was fought.
The following user(s) said Thank You: BereniceUK

Lieutenant Hugh Stewart McCorquodale 6 years 10 months ago #53581

• BereniceUK
Frank, this was the first time I'd been able to spend some time on Anglesey, and most of what I saw makes me want to go back again one day.

Lieutenant Hugh Stewart McCorquodale 6 years 10 months ago #53582

• QSAMIKE
  • Thank you received: 1873
Good Morning Berenice.......

I have to agree with you Anglesey is a beautiful area....... Every time I go to UK I try to visit my mothers family who is from Caernarfon...... She was a war bride who came to Canada in 1945...... One of my fond memories is being in Hollyhead in 1966 having a family picnic the final game of the World Cup was on and I had a transistor radio and we had dozens of people standing around listening to the game......

Mike
Life Member
Past-President Calgary
Military Historical Society
O.M.R.S. 1591

Lieutenant Hugh Stewart McCorquodale 6 years 10 months ago #53583

• Frank Kelley
  • Thank you received: 954
You should go and have a look at Beaumaris sometime, stunning views on a clear day, I was only recently looking at a fellow who had joined the Militia there, the Royal Anglesey Militia, but, then decided to join the Manchester Regiment's Militia a very short while later and ended up seeing out the entire Anglo Boer War in Natal and subsequently, the Transvaal, it is a very nice quiet place to spend a weekend, I like it very much, you were lucky if you just chanced upon that little church, it shows how the war affected the entire country, every town and a great many villages, throughout Great Britain.
The following user(s) said Thank You: BereniceUK

Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.929 seconds