Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Captain Peter Robert Denny, 1st (King's) Dragoon Guards, attached 14th Hussars 8 years 4 weeks ago #45917

• BereniceUK
  • BereniceUK's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 2300
In Dumbarton Cemetery, Dunbartonshire. This is the Denny family memorial.

Also in loving memory of his eldest son
PETER ROBERT
Captain 1st (King's) Dragoon Guards
Born on the 5th January 1875
Killed in action at Roodekop near Dewetsdorp
South Africa on 24th April 1900
while commanding the "A" Squadron 14th Hussars
to which he was attached.
Buried by comrades near where he fell.

Additionally mentioned on the memorial are his father, his mother, who died at Rouen, France, in 1915, while serving as a nurse, and his younger brother, Leon Serena Denny, also a Captain in the 1st (King's) Dragoon Guards, who was killed in action in Belgium, in 1915.
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Brett Hendey

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Captain Peter Robert Denny, 1st (King's) Dragoon Guards 8 years 4 weeks ago #45918

• BereniceUK
Named on the regimental memorial plaque - www.angloboerwar.com/forum/17-memorials-...dragoon-guards#43733

Captain Peter Robert Denny, 1st (King's) Dragoon Guards 8 years 2 weeks ago #46028

• Elmarie
  • Thank you received: 950
A PHOTO OF CAPT P.R. DENNY
Elmarie Malherbe
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: BereniceUK

Captain Peter Robert Denny, 1st (King's) Dragoon Guards 4 years 3 months ago #67688

• BereniceUK
THE LATE CAPTAIN PETER ROBERT DENNY.

KILLED AT DE WETS DORP.
Lord Roberts, the Commander-in-Chief of the British Army in South Africa, in a telegram the War Office issued on Wednesday night, conveyed the very saddening news to the townspeople of Dumbarton that Captain Peter Robert Denny of the 1st King's Dragoon Guards, and who had been attached to the 14th Hussars, had been laid low on the field of battle. Captain Denny was born at Bellfield, here, on January 5th, 1875, so that he was in his twenty-sixth year. He was the elder son of the late William Denny, and grandson of the late Dr Denny of Helenslee, memories of whom will always be revered by Dumbartonians in all parts of the world. the mother of the fallen officer is Lady Samuelson, wife of Sir Bernard Samuelson. Captain Denny was educated at Winchester, and at first he was intended for a business career, but he changed his mind and preferred to go into the army. He did go through the Militia Battalion of the Queen's Own West Surrey Regiment, where he served his period of two trainings. He passed very high in the examination and joined the 1st King's Dragoon Guards, then in Colchester. This regiment was transferred to Dublin, where it now is, and his brother Leon also holds a commission in it. On the outbreak of the war Captain Denny applied most assiduously for a commission, as he was exceedingly keen to see active service. As his own regiment had no chance of getting to the front, he obtained a transfer to the 13th Hussars, acting for this regiment in the capacity of transport officer. Although a very young officer, he soon obtained promotion in the regiment, and as captain got his troop a few weeks after his arrival at the Cape. He was with General Buller in all his operations around Ladysmith and was one of the first cavalry officers into that town after its relief. Letters have been received by his relatives showing the extremely hard work his regiment was subjected to, and how cheerfully it was all borne. Captain Denny's great desire was to do something that would reflect honour on his name, and his town, and surely his desire was fully achieved when he sacrificed his life for his country in its hour of need. Though Captain Denny was not a frequent visitor to our town, he was largely interested in all our doings, one evidence of this being that he was a subscriber to these journals. Those of the townspeople, however, who had the pleasure of meeting him on his visits to his birthplace will remember his fine manly presence, handsome physique, and open, gentlemanly bearing. He had all the characteristics of a dashing soldier; and was an officer who was most popular and commanded the full respect of his men. Cut off in the flower of his manhood, his loss is a severe blow to his many relatives, who mourn his loss with a sincerity distance cannot lessen. Out of respect for the departed flags in the town were at half-mast during Thursday.

The Lennox Herald, Saturday 28th April 1900

The following is a copy of a letter received by Lady Samuelson from Colonel Owen, commanding 1st Dragoon Guards, viz.: -
Marlborough Barracks,
Dublin,
26th April, 1900.
Dear Lady Samuelson, - It was with the greatest regret and grief that we heard last night of the death of your son, and on behalf of the whole regiment, officers, non-commissioned officers, and men, I beg to offer to you our deepest sympathy in your great distress. Captain Denny was loved by every one, from highest to lowest, who knew him. You have lost an excellent son. We have lost a comrade and brother-officer, who will never be replaced by a better. We all loved him, and we all regret him, and the gloom that has been cast upon us is felt by all ranks. Sympathy is hard to express in words, but I trust you will believe me when I say that I am sure that, next to his own relations, he had no better for friends and none who feel his death more than his brother officers. He died as a soldier would wish to die. I enclose you the draft of the regimental order issued to-day, and I can assure you the few words do not adequately express the feelings of myself and my officers. - Yours very sincerely,
H. MOSTYN OWEN.

The following is the extract from the Regimental Orders: - "It is with profound regret and grief that the officer commanding has to announce the sad death from wounds received on active service of Captain P. R. Denny, attached to the 14th Hussars. Captain Denny has endeared himself to every one in the regiment. A sterling and gallant soldier, a perfect gentleman, a good sportsman, and a true friend has been taken from us in the bloom of life, sincerely regretted by all who knew him."

The Lennox Herald, Saturday 5th May 1900

INTERESTING LETTER.
Langham Hotel,
Portland Place,
London, W.,
5th June, 1900.
Dear Sir, - Lady Samuelson having received a letter from Major O'Brien, 14th Hussars, giving an account of the death of the late Captain Peter Robert Denny, thinks that the facts may be of interest to many in Dumbarton, and has asked me to forward to you the following extracts for publication in your journal: -
"His kindly nature and fine soldierly qualities endeared him to us all. He was a very fine specimen of an English (?) officer and gentleman. He was in command of a squadron and doing his work with the greatest keenness. Heavy firing had been going on on our left, where the 9th Lancers were engaged, when the 4th Cavalry Brigade was ordered to gallop down a basin and hold the heights on the other side. Immediately we got to the top (dismounted), we found the Boers were trying the same thing, and that some of them were on another ridge, somewhat higher on our left, and thus flanked us and prevented your poor son's squadron getting cover. It was here he was hit by a bullet right through the heart. He fell forward and his life must have passed away instantaneously, without any pain. This took place at Roodeskop, where he was buried with a sergeant of the 17th Lancers. The Colonel said a few words over him as the officers laid him to his last rest. It was a sad sight we will all of us remember for many a long day.

A small wooden cross was there and then made to mark the spot; and I can assure you there was not one dry eye among officers and men. It was hard to see a fine young spirit snatched from our midst, but the answer must remain with One above." The following extract is from a letter from Major O'Brien to his father, Sir Terence O'Brien: - "Here poor Captain Denny, K.D.G., attached 14th Hussars, was killed, shot right through the heart. Such a fine specimen of a young English officer, only 25 - as brave as a lion - yet as courteous and unassuming as it is possible to be - a really fine young character, who could not help being loved by all."

The above are extracts from letters written from Donhus Hoch, north of Bloemfontein. - I am, yours truly,
PETER DENNY.

The Lennox Herald, Saturday 9th June 1900
The following user(s) said Thank You: absentminded beggar

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.498 seconds