Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Pte.William Henry Richardson.Remembered St.John Church, Bigrigg,Cumbria. 8 years 1 month ago #45889

• deacs
  • deacs's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 27
Called in at St.John Church at Bigrigg, Cumbria. and found this memorial to a pte.William Henry Richardson.
Died 12th Dec.1901.

Have had a look on Ancestry but can't able to find him in the casualty list can someone please help.

Also if anyone would like the photo go ahead it's yours.

Regards Mike.
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Pte.William Henry Richardson.Remembered St.John Church, Bigrigg,Cumbria. 8 years 1 month ago #45890

• deacs
Done it panic over, have had to resize it so if you would like the original PM with your email address and I will pass the original on.

Mike.

Pte.William Henry Richardson.Remembered St.John Church, Bigrigg,Cumbria. 8 years 1 month ago #45897

• BereniceUK
  • Thank you received: 2304
Thanks for that, Mike. Very interesting design, fairly basic but with a nice flourish at the top.

Is this of any interest to you? It's from the Westmorland Gazette and records the death of J.T. Patterson - the initials are as given on the Border Regiment memorial in Carlisle Cathedral. There doesn't seem to be a memorial to him in Kirkby Stephen.

Pte.William Henry Richardson.Remembered St.John Church, Bigrigg,Cumbria. 8 years 3 weeks ago #46029

• Elmarie
  • Thank you received: 950
Hi Mike

Attached hereto a printout from my ABW Namelist. His initials were wrong. It was RJ instead of WH and I think maybe that's the problem.

Regards
Elmarie
Elmarie Malherbe
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: deacs

Pte.William Henry Richardson.Remembered St.John Church, Bigrigg,Cumbria. 8 years 3 weeks ago #46036

• deacs
Thank you Elmerie I have researched Ancestry using R J instead of W H and now even more confusing but I have found him Ancestry have him as J Richardson in their casualty list, no wonder I couldn't find him.

Name: J Richardson
Casualty Type: Died
Casualty Date: 12 Dec 1901
Casualty Place: Johannesburg
Force: South Africa Field Force
Regiment: Border Regiment
Battalion: 1st Battalion
Number: 7498
Remarks: Volunteer Company

But for his military campaign medals they have used W H no wonder sometimes you can't find things on Ancestry, and Uk army register of soldiers is Wm H Richardson.

Cheers Mike.

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.610 seconds