Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Sergeant J.T. Bibby D.C.M., Colt Gun Section, 57th Coy, I.Y. 8 years 3 months ago #44848

• LinneyI
  • Thank you received: 1537
Interested members
My IY roll of names and units gives him as "10821 Sgt. J.T.Bibby".
IL.
The following user(s) said Thank You: BereniceUK

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Sergeant J.T. Bibby D.C.M., Colt Gun Section, 57th Coy, I.Y. 8 years 3 months ago #44857

• SWB
  • Thank you received: 451
A very good find Berenice; only one way to find these graves, I applaud your dedication in this chilly weather.

A number of second and third contingent IY men were from militia and volunteer units who opted for the IY when they realised their own units were not going out, Bibby was in the militia artillery. The gunners were naturals for manning machine guns and pom-poms as they had some training in ordnance heavier than the rifle.

Reading his service papers Bibby was discharged medically unfit with paralysis in the right arm and a large scar across his right collar bone. He must have broken his collar bone/shoulder/arm badly perhaps in a fall from a horse. This accident is not noted in the casualty rolls. Very unfortunate that it led to a premature death.

I found a notice of his death but nothing regarding his injuries or DCM, Manchester Courier and Lancashire General Advertiser 14-04-1902:

He was obviously a man of some charm, not only was he widowed twice but had married a third time a few weeks before his death.

Regards
Meurig
Researcher & Collector
The Register of the Anglo-Boer Wars 1899-1902
theangloboerwars.blogspot.co.uk/
www.facebook.com/boerwarregister
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: djb, BereniceUK

Sergeant J.T. Bibby D.C.M., Colt Gun Section, 57th Coy, I.Y. 8 years 1 month ago #45368

• BereniceUK
  • BereniceUK's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 2300
Jimmy Bibby has turned out to have been quite a remarkable man and I'll be posting some background information on him.

He's pictured below, in what was probably a sketch from his footballing days - he played for both South Shore and Blackpool.

Attachments:

Sergeant J.T. Bibby D.C.M., Colt Gun Section, 57th Coy, I.Y. 8 years 1 month ago #45373

• Brett Hendey
  • Thank you received: 717
Berenice
Thank you for sharing with us another great find. I find it very moving when I read about the early deaths of other family members. This was certainly a very tragic family.
Regards
Brett

Sergeant J.T. Bibby D.C.M., Colt Gun Section, 57th Coy, I.Y. 3 years 8 months ago #70771

• BerkshireT
  • Thank you received: 9

BereniceUK wrote: His grave is in Layton Cemetery, Blackpool, and he's named on Blackpool's ABW Roll of Honour.

Hello Berenice,
Is there any chance of getting the photo's without the "photo bucket" over print in the centre please? I have a keen interest in Sergeant J.T. Bibby D.C.M.as he served in 15th Battalion. I've had an interest in Bibby and the machine gun section for a while now but only just found your blog - most interesting thanks :whistle:

In Memoriam
SERGT. JAMES THOMAS BIBBY, D.C.M.
WHO DIED APRIL 12TH 1902
AGED 34 YEARS.
AND WAS INTERRED WITH MILITARY HONOURS.
HE VOLUNTEERED FROM THE 5TH POS. BATTERY
5TH LANCASHIRE VOLUNTEER ARTILLERY.
HIS DEATH WAS ACCELERATED BY INJURIES
RECEIVED IN SOUTH AFRICA, WHILST SERVING
WITH THE COLT GUN SECTION, IN THE 15TH BATTALION
57TH COMPANY IMPERIAL YEOMANRY.
THE DAY OF SUFFERING PAST;
NOW PEACE AND REST AT LAST;
HIS DUTY BRAVELY DONE,
HIS FINAL BATTLE WON.

Other names on the gravestone are Betsy Hannah, beloved wife of James Thomas Bibby, of Blackpool, who died 31st December 1889, aged 19 years; also Margaret Ann, his beloved wife, who died November 5th 1895, aged 21 years, also of Margaret, their daughter, who died December 7th 1895, aged 4 months. So he was pre-deceased by two wives.

Sergeant J.T. Bibby D.C.M., Colt Gun Section, 57th Coy, I.Y. 3 years 8 months ago #70774

• BerkshireT
  • Thank you received: 9
"In 1897 the Lt the Hon L.W Rothschild presented a maxim gun to the Regiment, and the Royal Bucks Hussars were the first Yeomanry to possess a regimental machine gun. A detachment of the Aylesbury Troop were trained at the Maxim works at Erith"
They got a second by the time they went to South Africa but needed a trained crew to man it and so I'm guessing the Bucks found a 'talent pool' in the Lancaster artillery and managed to encourage (poach) them to come across en mass? There were several very wealthy officers and sponsors in the Bucks Hussars and they knew how to 'make things happen' ... if you follow my meaning?
Critchley, John    10820, Private    57th Coy., 15th Bn. I.Y.
Bibby, James Thomas    10821, Sgt.    57th Coy., 15th Bn. I.Y. DCM
Bell, John    10822, Private    57th Coy., 15th Bn. I.Y.
Carlisle, Charles Robert    10823, Private    57th Coy., 15th Bn. I.Y.
Clark, John William    10824, Private    57th Coy., 15th Bn. I.Y.
Cottam, William    10825, Private    57th Coy., 15th Bn. I.Y.
Gilder, Charles William    10827, Private    57th Coy., 15th Bn. I.Y.
Goth, George Johnson    10828, Private    57th Coy., 15th Bn. I.Y.
Hothersall, Edward    10829, Private    57th Coy., 15th Bn. I.Y.
Jones, Harry    10831, Corporal    57th Coy., 15th Bn. I.Y.
Linthwaite, William George    10832, Private    57th Coy., 15th Bn. I.Y.
Nicholson, John Alfred    10833, Private    57th Coy., 15th Bn. I.Y.
Nixon, George    10834, Private    57th Coy., 15th Bn. I.Y. (awarded MM in WW1)
Porter, William Coward    10835, Private    57th Coy., 15th Bn. I.Y.

A bit of educated guessing of course ;)
Wayne

Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 1.182 seconds