Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Clitheroe, Lancashire 8 years 10 months ago #41571

• BereniceUK
  • BereniceUK's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 2304
In the castle grounds and behind the WW1 memorial.

Corporal J. Clitheroe, 1st Battn. Coldstream Guards. Died at Modder River on 1st January 1900.
Private J. Luddon, 2nd Battn. York & Lancaster Regt. Died at Chieveley on 10th March 1900.
Private W. Hutchinson, 2nd Battn. Manchester Regt. Died at Bethlehem on 10th February 1901.
Private K. Thompson, 3rd Battn. East Lancashire Regt. Died at Bloemfontein on 17th November 1901.
Private J. Hanson, 1st Battn. East Lancashire Regt. Died at Bloemfontein on 18th January 1902.
Private C. O'Neill, 1st Battn. East Lancashire Regt. Died at Springfontein on 30th May 1902.
and the following volunteers from the St. John's Ambulance Brigade
Private G. W. Alder. Died at Bloemfontein on 7th June 1900.
Private T. Windle. Died at Bloemfontein on 15th July 1900.

A CLITHEROE MAN DIES AT BLOEMFONTEIN.
Private G. W. Alder, St. John's Ambulance, whose death is reported to have taken place at Bloemfontein on the 7th inst., from enteric fever, belonged to Clitheroe. He was 22 years of age, and a weaver, and was one of the members of the Clitheroe Ambulance Brigade who volunteered for service. He leaves a widowed mother and sister.
Burnley Express, Wednesday 13th June 1900
The following user(s) said Thank You: djb

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Clitheroe, Lancashire 8 years 10 months ago #41575

• Brett Hendey
  • Thank you received: 717
Berenice

Thank you for your latest post. I have often wondered if you have to search for memorials that are in obscure places, or are their locations always on record somewhere?

Regards
Brett

Clitheroe, Lancashire 8 years 10 months ago #41577

• djb
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 4519
Another great find. Many thanks Berenice.
Dr David Biggins

Clitheroe, Lancashire 8 years 10 months ago #41582

• SWB
  • Thank you received: 452

Brett Hendey wrote: Berenice

Thank you for your latest post. I have often wondered if you have to search for memorials that are in obscure places, or are their locations always on record somewhere?

Regards
Brett

Hello Brett

Finding existing memorials is not hard as there are many online inventories, but, you can still have fun "discovering" them.

There is a pretty comprehensive listing of war memorials compiled by the Imperial War Museum, you can search this here . From my own study of ABW memorials the inventory is pretty complete (90%+ ?), what they lack are those memorials that have been lost or destroyed. My own database, still to be made available, covers these.

The War Memorials Trust has War Memorials Online which is designed as a photo repository and place to post condition reports.

Then there are the "private" efforts like the North East War Memorials Project , Irish War Memorials and Roll of Honour .

Regards
Meurig
Researcher & Collector
The Register of the Anglo-Boer Wars 1899-1902
theangloboerwars.blogspot.co.uk/
www.facebook.com/boerwarregister

Clitheroe, Lancashire 8 years 10 months ago #41587

• BereniceUK

Brett Hendey wrote: Berenice

Regards
Brett

Oh, Brett, you've rumbled me! Yes, most of the ABW memorials I photograph are listed online; however, I doubt that any online resource has everything recorded, and I've found, and know about, ABW memorials that I haven't seen listed online. Finding all the ABW-related inscriptions on family gravestones has been a mixture of luck and keeping my eyes open.

Clitheroe, Lancashire 8 years 10 months ago #41588

• BereniceUK

SWB wrote: Finding existing memorials is not hard as there are many online inventories, but, you can still have fun "discovering" them.

Yes, I have definitely do have fun finding them. It's a great way to see parts of the country I'd probably never have visited otherwise.

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.449 seconds