Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Lieutenant Colonel J.W. Gawne, King's Own (Royal Lancaster Regiment) 9 years 1 month ago #25784

• BereniceUK
  • BereniceUK's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 2304
In the Regimental Chapel in Lancaster Priory, Lancashire.

Across the four panes it reads "Thou hast girded me with strength to battle and them that rose up against me hast thou subdued under me."

Alfred, King of the West Saxons

St.Oswald, King & Martyr

Here's two links to photos of the site of his death www.panoramio.com/photo/29124943
and www.angloboerwar.com/forum/17-memorials-...ncaster-hill-vryheid

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Lieutenant Colonel J.W. Gawne, King's Own (Royal Lancaster Regiment) 9 years 1 month ago #25787

• capepolice
  • Thank you received: 433
Here is another photo.

Part time researcher of the Cape Police and C.P.G Regiment.
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: BereniceUK

Lieutenant Colonel J.W. Gawne, King's Own (Royal Lancaster Regiment) 9 years 1 month ago #25802

• LinneyI
  • Away
  • Thank you received: 1541
Berenice
You certainly take excellent pics of a most impressive memorial. Palmer roll says: " .. commanding 2nd Bn., Royal Lancaster Regt., died 12 December 1900 at Vryheid of wounds received in action the previous day. He was born July 1854, educated at Cheltenham and entered the 4th Foot June 1874, promoted Lt., June 1875, Captain May 1884, Major June 1893 Lt/Col, Feb., 1900. He served in the Zulu war, 1879 receiving medal with clasp, and also with the Bechuanaland Expedition under Sir Charles Warren 1884-85. In the action in which L/Col. Gawne fell, our outposts surrounding Vryhied were suddenly attacked on a dark morning at 2.15 AM and a desperate fight ensued. Our troops, however, heroically held their own and the Boers abandoned the attack towards evening, but L/Col Gawne was killed. He is buried at Vryhied Cemetary". Stirling gives a little more info about the incident; two officers and three ORs killed and an outpost of 35 men taken by surprise at the beginning of the attack and taken prisoners.
Regards
IL.

Lieutenant Colonel J.W. Gawne, King's Own (Royal Lancaster Regiment) 9 years 1 month ago #25805

• Brett Hendey
  • Thank you received: 740
Berenice

Thank you for another excellent post - a lot to take in this time. I particularly liked the distinctive memorial erected by the NCO's and men of the King's Own. I wonder if it was designed by one of these men? It is so different from the usual brass plaques you have shown that it suggests an unconventional mind was at work on this occasion.

Regards
Brett

Lieutenant Colonel J.W. Gawne, King's Own (Royal Lancaster Regiment) 9 years 1 month ago #25821

• BereniceUK
  • BereniceUK's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 2304

Brett Hendey wrote: I particularly liked the distinctive memorial erected by the NCO's and men of the King's Own. I wonder if it was designed by one of these men? It is so different from the usual brass plaques you have shown that it suggests an unconventional mind was at work on this occasion.

Regards
Brett

I'm curious as to what the metal used in the memorial is. The lion and flags look like they could be brass but what's the inscribed square made from?

Lieutenant Colonel J.W. Gawne, King's Own (Royal Lancaster Regiment) 9 years 1 month ago #25824

• SWB
  • Thank you received: 452
Beaten copper?

BereniceUK wrote:

Brett Hendey wrote: I particularly liked the distinctive memorial erected by the NCO's and men of the King's Own. I wonder if it was designed by one of these men? It is so different from the usual brass plaques you have shown that it suggests an unconventional mind was at work on this occasion.

Regards
Brett

I'm curious as to what the metal used in the memorial is. The lion and flags look like they could be brass but what's the inscribed square made from?

Researcher & Collector
The Register of the Anglo-Boer Wars 1899-1902
theangloboerwars.blogspot.co.uk/
www.facebook.com/boerwarregister

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.747 seconds