Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Letter to Lord Strathcona from Lord Roberts February 12th, 1901 11 years 2 months ago #8104

• QSAMIKE
  • QSAMIKE's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 1881
February 12th. 1901:

Following letter from Lord Roberts to Lord Strathcona:-

"Dear Lord Strathcona,

To my great regret I never saw Strathcona's Horse in South Africa. They were generally at some distance from my Headquarters, and the only time they were at Pretoria I happened to be laid up.

Kindly let me know when and where it will be most convenient for me to see them when they reach London. I understand they are expected to land Tomorrow.

Believe me,
Yours very truly,

(Signed) Roberts"

Reply to Lord Roberts:-

"Dear Lord Roberts,

For your note of to-day I am much obliged. The latest advice that has reached me about Strathcona's Horse is that they will arrive at the Albert Dock at eight o'clock to-morrow morning, and Mr. Brodrick writes me that you will inspect them on the same day which they are to be inspected by the King.

I know how highly honored Colonel Steele and the officers and men will feel in being received by their Sovereign and in having the further distinction of being inspected by the Commander in Chief, under whom they were so proud to serve.

That like all other soldiers of the Empire they did good service is, I think, admitted on all hands, and I am sure they will feel the greatest appreciation of the kindness and attention it is intended to show them during their short stay in England.

The date for the inspection will no doubt be arranged after Colonel Steele's arrival.

Believe me, dear Lord Roberts

Very truly yours,

(Signed) Strathcona
Life Member
Past-President Calgary
Military Historical Society
O.M.R.S. 1591

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re: Letter to Lord Strathcona from Lord Roberts February 12th, 1901 11 years 2 months ago #8124

• Frank Kelley
  • Thank you received: 954
Hello Mike,
I think we have discussed these or similar before, were these from transcripts or have you seen the originals?
Regards Frank

Re: Letter to Lord Strathcona from Lord Roberts February 12th, 1901 11 years 2 months ago #8128

• QSAMIKE
  • QSAMIKE's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 1881

Frank Kelley wrote: Hello Mike,
I think we have discussed these or similar before, were these from transcripts or have you seen the originals?
Regards Frank

Good Morning Frank.....

There are some originals at the Regimental Museum but most are from transcripts most of the originals have been lost in the sands of time..... That is why there are big gaps in the dates.....

The Diary that I posted earlier is still in existance and the Routine Orders have been transcribed from a microfilm of the original.... Someone had it microfilmed when it was in better condition as the copy in the museum is a carbon copy of the original and the handling was not done as it is today with white gloves etc..... It is not in a format that accessed by computer and that is why I am completely re typing it so that it can be researched....

Mike
Life Member
Past-President Calgary
Military Historical Society
O.M.R.S. 1591

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.355 seconds