Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Telegrams and Letters to Lord Strathcona - Strathcona's Horse 11 years 3 months ago #7641

• QSAMIKE
  • QSAMIKE's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 1881
Good Morning Everyone......

Since there are only a few left and they are quite far appart in date, I have decided to post them all together..... For those following the series I hope you do not mind.....

Mike

######################################################

January 24th. 1901:

Telegram to Department of Militia and Defence at Ottawa stating that the Imperial Government would bear expenses in Canada of returning members of Strathcona's Horse. Suggested that the Department should forward them to their homes from Halifax, or other port, and claim refund of cost from District Paymaster Halifax.

February 7th. 1901:

Lord Strathcona informed the War Office that arrangements were being made for Strathcona Horse on their arrival in London to be quartered in Kensington and St. John's Wood Barracks. The Officers, with the exception of those required in Barracks, to be accommodated at the Kensington Palace Hotel.

NOTE:

The death of H. M. the Queen and the public morning prevailing at the time, made any public entertainments or demonstrations of welcome impossible on the arrival of the force in London, but various arrangements were made for their entertainment.

February 8th. 1901:

Allan Bros. & Co. informed Lord Strathcona that arrangements had been made for the Strathcona Horse to embark on their steamer "Numidian" at liverpool for Halifax on Saturday 23rd. February.

February 12th. 1901:

Following letter from Lord Roberts to Lord Strathcona:-

"Dear Lord Strathcona,

To my great regret I never saw Strathcona's Horse in South Africa. They were generally at some distance from my Headquarters, and the only time they were at Pretoria I happened to be laid up.

Kindly let me know when and where it will be most convenient for me to see them when they reach London. I understand they are expected to land Tomorrow.

Believe me,

Yours very truly,
(Signed) Roberts"

Reply to Lord Roberts:-

"Dear Lord Roberts,

For your note of to-day I am much obliged. The latest advice that has reached me about Strathcona's Horse is that they will arrive at the Albert Dock at eight o'clock to-morrow morning, and Mr. Brodrick writes me that you will inspect them on the same day which they are to be inspected by the King.

I know how highly honored Colonel Steele and the officers and men will feel in being received by their Sovereign and in having the further distinction of being inspected by the Commander in Chief, under whom they were so proud to serve.

That like all other soldiers of the Empire they did good service is, I think, admitted on all hands, and I am sure they will feel the greatest appreciation of the kindness and attention it is intended to show them during their short stay in England.

The date for the inspection will no doubt be arranged after Colonel Steele's arrival.

Believe me, dear Lord Roberts

Very truly yours,
(Signed) Strathcona

February 13th. 1901:

Lord Strathcona went to Albert Dock to meet Strathcona Horse but vessel was delayed due to tides.

February 13th. 1901:

Arrangements made for the regiment to proceed to Buckingham Palace on Friday 15th. February 1901, to be inspected by H. the King. They were accompanied by the band of the Second Life Guards. One Company of 100 rank and file of the Brigade of Guards were detailed to keep the ground in Buckingham Palace Gardens, to be in position at 11:30.a.m., the Company to be dressed as for Guard of Honour.

The South African Medals to be distributed to Strathcona Horse on that occasion.

February 23rd. 1901:

Lord Strathcona addressed to following letter to the Duke of Abercorn:-

"My Dear Duke of Abercorn,

I feel I must write on the eve of the departure of the Strathcona Horse to thank you as Chairman of the Colonial Troops Entertainment Committee for the kindness shown to the officers and men of the regiment during their stay in London. Expressions of gratitude, both individual and collective, have no doubt reached you, as they have me, and the regiment will return to Canada greatly and gratefully impressed by the hospitality they have received.

The members of the Committee have been indefatigable in their efforts to promote the comfort and the enjoyment of the officers and men, and I am aware of the immense amount of time and trouble which Captain Simpson and Captain Barlow must have devoted to the matter".

February 23rd. 1901:

Lord Strathcona entertained the Regiment at luncheon during its stay in London, and had a distinguished company to meet them;-

On February 22nd., the night of their departure Lord Strathcona also entertained the Officers of Strathcona Horse at the Savoy Hotel, and the following distinguished Company were invited to meet them.

The Marquis of Lansdowne, Lord Roberts, Rt. Hon. Mr Brodrick, Lord Aberdeen, Sir Redevers Buller, The Duke of Abercorn, Mr. Chamberlain, The Marquis of Hertford, Lord Lichfield, General Lord William Seymore, General Laurie, The Lord Mayor, Admiral Sir E.R. Fremantle, Sir Francis de Winton, General McKinnon, General Trotter, Admiral Douglas, General Jameson, Sir Thomas Barlow, Sir Montague Ommanney and many others.

March 8th. 1901:

Telegram from Colonel Steele:-

"Numidian" arrived Halifax 8.a.m. Corps paid off and left for Montreal 3.p.m.

April 15th. 1901:

Receipt from Mr Taylor of the Bank of Montreal stating that the following are held by the Bank of Montreal to Lord Strathcona's order:-

4 Flags, Strathcona Horse, including colours presented to the regiment by the King.

4 Guidons Strathcona Horse.

April 19th. 1901:

London Gazette notifies the following appointments:-

Colonel Steele, C.B., Major Belcher and Major Jarvis, C.M.G., Captain Cameron, Captain Cartwright, Captain Mackie, Surgeon Keenan, Lieut. Christie, Lieut. Leckie, D.S.O.

September 5th. 1901:

Letter from the War Office to Lord Strathcona stating that in an early Gazette the officers of Lord Strathcona's Corps, with the exception of Lieut. Ketchen, who did not serve with the corps in South Africa for six months, will be granted honorary rank in the army equivalent to the rank they hold on disbandment of the corps.

Their names will as officers with honorary rank be shown under the life list of officers retired from the Army on pp.2072/4 Quarterly Army List, and the continuation of their names on the list will be subject to their being alive on the 1st. January and the 1st July of each year.

If such notification due on the 1st. January received at the War Office by the 1st. April, and that due on the 1st. July by 1st. October, it will be concluded that the officer is deceased and his mane will be removed from the Army List.

September 20th. 1901:

Extract from the London Gazette:-

"The undermentioned officers of Lord Strathcona's Corps are, on the disbandment of the Corps, granted honorary rank in the Army as follows, with permission to wear the uniform of the Corps. Dated 16th. March 1901:-

To be Honorary Lieutenat Colonel:-

Lieutenant-Colonel S.B. Steele, C.B.,M.V.O., (Commandant)

To be Honorary Majors:-

Major R. Belcher, C.M.G., (Second in Command)
Major R. C. Laurie,
Major A. M. Jarvis, C.M.G.
Major A. E. Snyder,
Major D. M. Howard,
Major G. W. Cameron, D.S.O.

To be Honorary Captains:-

Captain F.L. Cartwright, D.S.O.
Captain R. M. Courtney,
Captain J. J. Macdonald,
Temporary Captain E. F. Mackie, D.S.O., (Adjutant)
Temporary Captain C. B. Keenan, M.D., D.S.O., (Medical Officer)

To be Honorary Lieutenants:-

Lieutenant R. H. B. Magee,
Lieutenant P. Fall,
Lieutenant A. E. Christie, D.S.O.
Lieutenant J. E. Leckie, D.S.O.
Lieutenant A. W. Strange,
Lieutenant M. H. White-Fraser,
Lieutenant F. Harper,
Lieutenant G. H. Kirkpatrick,
Lieutenant G. E. Laidlaw,
Lieutenant H. S. Tobin,
Lieutenant J. A. Benyon,
Lieutenant A. Adamson,
Temporary Lieutenant W. Parker, (Quartermaster)
Temporary Lieutenant I. R. Snider, (Transport Officer)

To be Honorary Veterinary Lieutenant:-

Temporary Veterinary-Lieutenant G. T. Stevenson,(Veterinary Officer)

January 8th. 1902:

Telegram from the Department of Militia and Defence Department to Lord Strathcona:-

In December General Orders Officers Strathcona Horse were granted rank in active Militia and placed on the Reserve of Officers.

END
Life Member
Past-President Calgary
Military Historical Society
O.M.R.S. 1591

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re: Telegrams and Letters to Lord Strathcona - Strathcona's Horse 11 years 3 months ago #7648

• Frank Kelley
  • Thank you received: 954
Good evening Mike,
I would be very interested to see copies of the actual letters between Lord Strathcona and Lord Roberts circa February 12th 1901 if possible.
Regards Frank

Re: Telegrams and Letters to Lord Strathcona - Strathcona's Horse 11 years 3 months ago #7651

• QSAMIKE
  • QSAMIKE's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 1881
Good Evening Frank.....

I was working from microfilm transcribed copies..... The originals have been lost in the sands of time.....

I am also completely re-typing the regimental daily routine orders, in to a computer, from the founding of the regiment to it's dispandment so that it can be shared a lot easier with historians...... 600 pages long and have been working from a copy of a copy of a copy so it is taking some time.....

Mike
Life Member
Past-President Calgary
Military Historical Society
O.M.R.S. 1591

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.440 seconds