Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Letters to Lord Strathcona - 26th & 28th December 1900 11 years 3 months ago #7320

• QSAMIKE
  • QSAMIKE's Avatar Topic Author
  • Away
  • Thank you received: 1881
Following letter from Sir Alfred Milner to Lord Strathcona:-

Government House
Cape Town

26th. December 1900

"Dear Lord Strathcona,

I have received your letter of the 30th. November enclosing one from Colonel Steele. His recommendation is very weighty, and I am glad to say that of the two men he recommends one has already got a commission in the Constabulary, and I will see that the other also is considered. The number of well qualified applicants is enormous, so I cannot say for certain if he will obtain a commission, but Colonel Steele's recommendation and the fact that he belongs to that splendid body of men Strathcona Horse - second to none among the irregular corps, which have done such good fighting in South Africa - will doubtless stand him in good stead."

December 28th. 1900:

Letter from the War Office to Lord Strathcona, stating that the General Officer Commanding in South Africa had been requested to arrange for the return of Strathcona Horse to Canada by way of the United Kingdom, and that the arms and equipment were to remain in the custody of the regiment until after disbandment.
Life Member
Past-President Calgary
Military Historical Society
O.M.R.S. 1591

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re: Letters to Lord Strathcona - 26th & 28th December 1900 11 years 3 months ago #7322

• Frank Kelley
  • Thank you received: 954
Hello Mike,
I was wondering what had happened to these posts, more please!
Glad to see Lord Milner was fit and well enough to write letters after, I am sure, a day of entertaining friends and dare I suggest, his fellow fellows, of the Royal Colonial Institute! :evil:
Kind regards Frank

Re: Letters to Lord Strathcona - 26th & 28th December 1900 11 years 3 months ago #7329

• QSAMIKE
  • QSAMIKE's Avatar Topic Author
  • Away
  • Thank you received: 1881
Hi Frank.....

Am posting what I have......

Mike
Life Member
Past-President Calgary
Military Historical Society
O.M.R.S. 1591

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.405 seconds