Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Letter to Lord Strathcona from Lt. Col. Sam Steele, Nov. 4th, 1900 11 years 5 months ago #6324

• QSAMIKE
  • QSAMIKE's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 1881
FREDERICHSTAD
4th November 1900.

Dear Lord Strathcona,

I have mailed to you one of my usual reports and have noted everything of consequence there in. Since writing the regiment has been employed in reconnoitring, and yesterday marched twenty-five miles covering a front three miles, and collecting two or three hundred head of cattle.

I notice that in the report of Gen. Buller's operations over the Mauchberg the Highlanders and other Infantry were over the mountain first. This is a mistake, quite unintentional of course. Lt.s Leckie and White-Fraser with two troops of "C" Squadron scaled the Mauchberg and were over before any infantry. In fact, I sent Lt. Leckie to Sir Redvers Buller to get his special orders re the advance, and I brought the remainder of the regiment then in reserve forward, and held a position to enable the Highlanders to go on. I then pushed on round the mt. with two squadrons and saw Lt.s Leckie and White-Fraser on their position beyond the Mauchberg. "B" Squadron moved forward and captured a large quantity of supplies.

I am happy to tell you that up to the present no column covered by us has been surprised. No infantry either in rear or inside of our advanced guard or flankers has been within rifle shot of the enemy until the proper fight began. Nor has a single sniping shot reached the infantry, the artillery or train, when our men have covered the front or flanks. We have taken all ourselves, and different stories are heard on other sides. The artillery could not do too much for your corps for the reason that they were never allowed to get under musketry fire when we were out. The same with the infantry of the army, and, indeed, the whole of Lord Dundonald's Brigade had the reputation of being careful.

We are likely to be here for some weeks perhaps, Sir. I hear that the Canadian Militia Corps are to leave for home in a day or two, but there is plenty of time for us, and I am encouraging all ranks to be contented to go on until their time is up.

We have a great many suffering from slight attacks of fever, and dysentry, but none serious. I can just muster 390 rifles - say, 410 of all ranks - out of a total of our 550 men and 27 officers.

The rain comes heavy and often now, but we have our tents, and only get soaked when out. Yesterday the column had not a dry particle; everything was ringing wet, but all are well today.

V.Lt. Stevenson has joined us again, but Major Laurie is not well enough to do duty and I am sending him to the Cape to assist the Paymaster when he is closing up our work. Mr. Stevenson is loud in his praises of your Lordship's kindness to him when in London. strike]Our Asst. V. S. is a good man but has not half the energy[/strike. Major Belcher has at last caught fever, and is in hospital at Krugersdorp. It will not be a serious attack.

Hoping that you are enjoying good health,

I am,
Yours very truly,

(Signed) S. B. STEELE

NOTE: This will be the last for a while as the next letter is dated January 14th, 1901.....

Mike

Life Member
Past-President Calgary
Military Historical Society
O.M.R.S. 1591

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.514 seconds