• Page:

TOPIC:

August 21st 11 years 7 months ago #5209

• djb
  • djb's Avatar Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 4500
1900 - VCs awarded to Sergeant Harry Hampton, 1st Liverpool Regiment and Corporal Henry James Knight, 1st Liverpool Regiment. Van Wyk's Vlei occupied by General Buller. Lieutenant Cordua found guilty by a Military Court of participating in the Pretoria plot to capture Lord Roberts.

"During Lord Robert's stay in Pretoria it was discovered that a plot was set on foot to kidnap the Commander-in-Chief. It was, however, nipped in the bud. One of the leaders was an officer of the Transvaal State Permanent Artillery. The plot, of course, failed and the officer was brought to trial and duly shot. Tommy enjoyed his bit of fun over the attempt to kidnap Lord Roberts. At that time Lady Roberts and her daughters were at Pretoria, and the Tommies thought that it wouldn't be so bad if they kidnapped Lady Roberts, but they had the strongest objection to losing Bobs."
Dr David Biggins

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

August 21st 2 years 7 months ago #78092

• BereniceUK
  • Thank you received: 2294
1901 - "Writing from Richmond Road, on August 21st, to his parents in Gainsborough, a trooper in the Sherwood Rangers says :—
...."We suppose we are taking part in a great movement to clear this colony, about a dozen columns being in touch with one another. It was said that a party of Boers had gone further south than the line of columns, and that we should have to wait where we were till they were driven back again. We were not a little surprised when orders were read out that night to hear that we were to retrace our steps with all haste. We all hoped we should have a long rest at Richmond, and get new boots and clothing, as we were in rags and tatters. My knees were torn in all directions, and the sole of my right boot was nearly worn through. Our horses were also badly in need of a rest, after several weeks' hard work. However, it was not to be, as next day we were suddenly ordered to saddle up, a strong commando of Boers having been reported not far off. We never saw them, although we broke up into three different parties. We did manage to get on their track, but could never catch them up. They were just a few hours ahead at every farm we passed. One day we heard big guns firing a long way off, probably another column. Last Saturday, on going to saddle up, I found my horse's back very sore, and unfit to ride, so I had to ride in a waggon and lead him. (Just had dinner—liver and bread—first bread for two months). Next day we returned here, and then made another start after the Boers. I left my pony behind here, and had to "footslog" it, there being no empty waggons—all filled with corn and rations. By this time my boots were in a lovely condition. It's nice to have your big toe staring you in the face all day, and it's better still when half your boot sole has gone and you've got to walk like this. That night we only went about eight miles, and next morning I spoke to the captain. He said if I couldn't keep up I was to put my rifle and bandoliers on the waggon, so that the Boers would gain nothing by my capture (!) and he said I was to try and get a ride. This I knew to be impossible, so I took my rifle, etc., to the waggon, and somehow or other managed to just keep up till the midday halt. There were about 20 others dismounted liie myself, but their boots were not quite so bad as mine. During the halt I went to the captain again, and told him I really couldn't walk any further, and I asked permission to ride on top of our kit waggon. which he eventually gave me. Next day Lieutenant Jennings took me to the doctor, and got him to let me ride in the ambulance waggon. I was all right there, with books and magazines to read. That day a squadron of our Lancers got close up to the Boers, and had a bit of a scrap with their rearguard. The Boers went up into the hills, where we couldn't get our guns. After dinner the guns and all dismounted men received orders to return here. There were 80 or 90 of us altogether, with the dismounted Lancers, and we had five waggons to ride in and to carry our kits and saddlery. Well, we got back to our camp of the previous night, and after resting set out again for here, an 18 mile run. There were about 17 of us in a waggon, besides kits, saddlery (and two spare wheels in ours), so you can imagine what a job we had to get comfortable. I was on the front corner of the shelvings of the waggon, and how I kept on I don't know. It was a pitch-dark night, and very cold, but after various break-downs we got here just at sunrise, and soon had some hot coffee. I hope soon to have a new rig-out ; I've not had one since leaving home. The other day, as the rearguard passed us when we were walking, one of the men sitting comfortably on his horse began to whistle, very slowly, "Should auld acquaintance be forgot," amid groans and cries of "Oh, chuck it!" I suppose he wanted to finish us off altogether. I don't think the war will last much longer, but if the Boers liked I think they could keep on for ever, provided they had ammunition, the way we go about. It is the simplest thing in the world for them to sit on top of a kopje and watch us go past, and they could make it hot for us, too, if they liked. The dust which a moving column kicks up can be seen for miles and miles."
The Sheffield Daily Telegraph, Thursday 26th September 1901

1917 - "Mrs. A. J. [Eliza] Livermore, of 2, Cockburn-street, has received notification of the death of her husband, Corpl. A. J. Livermore, R.A.M.C. Corpl. Livermore, who was 38 years of age (and had been in business at 172, Mill-road, as oil and hardware merchant for the past 16 years), met his death on August 21st in France by shell fire when he was doing his duty. His lieutenant wrote to his wife that he died as he had lived, in the endeavour to succour others who were in need of help, and it is impossible for me to say how highly he was esteemed and even loved by all the men he came in contact with. Corpl. Livermore went out to South Africa in the Boer War, and served in the Imperial Yeomanry Bearer Company, receiving the Freedom of the Borough on his return. He joined up in the present war on September 3rd, 1914. and went out to Gallipoli with the 29th Division. He afterwards went to France from Egypt. Mrs. Livermore wishes to thank all kind friends for their sympathy."
Cambridge Independent Press, Friday 7th September 1917

...."Among those who have volunteered for stretcher-bearer service in the war now raging in South Africa, is Mr. Arthur Livermore, of Devonshire-road, Cambridge. Young Mr. Livermore is an employé of the Great Eastern Railway Company, and has done good service with the smart ambulance company that the local employés have formed."
Cambridge Independent Press, Friday 22nd December 1899

Arthur John Livermore was born in Cambridge in 1879, received the Freedom of the Borough of Cambridge at the Guildhall, Cambridge, on Monday, 6th May, 1901, and in October 1909 he was appointed a special constable for Cambridge.

August 21st 2 years 7 months ago #78111

• Dave F
  • Thank you received: 1165
Corporal Arthur John Livermore Imperial Yeomanry Bearer 5th Company.
Medal roll WO 100/130 - Clasps – Cape Colony & Orange Free State
Remarks column – Sent home on the 3rd September 1900 but is now again in South Africa.

WW1 / 2 Regimental numbers recorded. 2010 & 473173 R.A.M.C

Killed in Action with the 88th (1st East Anglian) Field Ambulance, Royal Army Medical Corps who died on 21 August 1917 Age 38
Husband of E. M. Livermore, of 2, Cockburn St., Cambridge.

Remembered with Honour
BLEUET FARM CEMETERY Belgium

A J Livermore medal roll

WW1 Medal entitlement.

Personal effects returned to his wife
You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough.
Best regards,
Dave
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: BereniceUK

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 1.746 seconds