Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Lt. Col. Sam Steele - Report to Lord Strathcona - July 25th, 1900 11 years 9 months ago #4725

• QSAMIKE
  • QSAMIKE's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 1881
The Right Honourable Lord Strathcona and Mount Royal,
High Commissioner for Canada,
17, Victoria Street, London, England

Greylingstad,

25th July, 1900.

Dear Lord Strathcona,

The Regiment is still with Lord Dundonald's 3rd Mounted Brigade, General Clery's column. We are in ignorance of our further movements. The war is by no means over. No military man here thinks that it can end in less than three months. We are proving every day that we are good scouts and well disciplined, but all are anxious to get further north.

With regard to Gen. Hutton I have had no correspondence with him, nor have I said or done anything that should prejudice him against the corps. I should think he would have been very glad to have them under his command. Men just as capable as Gen Hutton or anyone in the service have the opinion that the regiment is the finest that has yet appeared upon the scene. I have no doubt about it myself. The only one that can in any way be compared with them as scouts and horsemen are the Second Bttn. Canadian Mounted Rifles, composed of one half N.W.M. Police and the other half men from the stock districts of Alberta. There are a few men who ought not to be in the corps, but strict discipline keeps them in order. No one can avoid getting men who have made a mistake in joining, such men thought war was a picnic.

Hoping that your Lordship is enjoying good health,

I am,
Yours Respectfully,

(Signed) S. B. STEELE
Life Member
Past-President Calgary
Military Historical Society
O.M.R.S. 1591

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.351 seconds