Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Lt. Col. Sam Steele - Report to Lord Strathcona, July 20, 1900, Pt. Two 11 years 9 months ago #4675

• QSAMIKE
  • QSAMIKE's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 1881
Strathcona's Horse

Leeuw Spruit
July 20th, 1900.

Dear Lord Strathcona,

Your favour of the 1st., June has just come to hand, and with reference to the first paragraph I beg to say that as already reported the "Mohawk", "Maplemore", and the "Chicago"' only formed the advance of the regiment proceeding to Natal and Kosi River on an expedition, the object of which I have already reported to you.

The above transports sailed on the 25th May, but I did not cable you until the 28th, the day Headquarters left on the "Wakool" and "Columbia", on that day I sent you the following cable: - "We leave for Natal To-Day", but the censor, when it was presented, altered it so to read "We leave for the front to-day". This it appears did not reach you either, although I had the assurance of the censor that it would be sent.

The only communication I have had with General Hutton out here was a telegram sent through the Base Commandant at Cape Town asking for volunteer scouts from this regiment, to serve under Charles Ross, a North West Scout. The men, thinking that they would be transferred from the regiment and be separated, refused to volunteer. Besides, I think that in the minds of some there was an undercurrent of feeling against Ross. Who although he mat be a very good scout, is a man of very poor reputation in the North West].

I am sending you by concurrent mail a report as to our late movements.

I am,

Yours respectfully,

(Signed) S. B. STEELE, Lt. Col.
Commanding "Strathcona's Horse"
Life Member
Past-President Calgary
Military Historical Society
O.M.R.S. 1591

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.291 seconds