Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Lt. Col. Sam Steele - Report to Lord Strathcona - July 20th, 1900 - Pt. One 11 years 9 months ago #4656

• QSAMIKE
  • QSAMIKE's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 1881
S T R A T H C O N A ' S H O R S E
[/b]

Leeuw Spruit
July 20th., 1900.

Sir: -

Since I last reported at Standerton we have been almost continually on the march. On the 1st of July, the second day out, whilst the regiment was on the advance, the enemy was discovered near Watervaal and a sharp skirmish ensued between our flankers and the Boers. It appears that on this occasion our men were fired upon at close range from a house flying the white flag. In this fight we lost one fine young fellow, Pte. Jenkins, who enlisted at Pincher Creek. He was shot and instantly killed. Capt. Howard, evidently mistaking the Boers for our men walked right into them and was taken prisoner. Pte. Hobson is also missing. The Brigade reached Greylingstad the following day and camped for two or three days. It was arranged here that 150 of the regiment should remain while the balance should go with the Division to Vlaakfontein some 12 or 14 miles on towards Heidlburg. We marched on the 4th, has a small skirmish and reached the place the same night. On our arrival at Vlaakfontein it was found necessary to reinforce our force left at Greylingstadt and on the 5th 50 men were send back protected by 100 men of ours under an Imperial Officer to return the same night. The fifty were seen safely through but on the return the Boers showed some strength and our men found some difficulty in getting through. A rapid retreat was ordered by the Officer in charge, in spite of the remonstrances of Major Snyder and we consequently lost had 6 men missing. The men had been sent to a distant kopje and could not get back.

Whilst at Vlaakfontein, "C" Squadron left at Greylingstadt were sent a few miles further back on the line to protect the railway bridge there and while patrolling on the 6th, Corp. Lee was shot and killed. About this time the draft under Lt. Anderson reached Standerton. About the 6th whilst acting as advance to the South African Light Horse, some 18 miles North East of Standerton they came in contact with a considerable force of the enemy and although they succeeded in driving the Boers from the position they lost in so doing 2 men taken prisoners and 3 wounded.

The remainder of the regiment returned to Greylingstad for the purpose of reinforcing the Garrison there but two days after we were joined by the 2nd Division under General Clery and started to march north. Since then we have been fighting nearly every day, meeting the enemy on two occasions with guns. The second day out the Regiment formed the advance and covered the flanks and rear of the column. A party of "A" Squadron were sent out to the right flank under Major Sangeneisten of the Border Mounted Rifles. This officer with four of the Regt. had their horses shot and taken prisoners. Two others were wounded.

We halted here for the day, but are under orders to move again tomorrow.

The work we are doing is very hard on the horses, there being only two mounted corps in the Brigade. We have our turn for duty every other day. The Canadian horses are standing it very well but we have had to have a second supply of Argentines. Members of the Imperial Guides, men who know the country well and who have gone right through the war, say that the Canadian horses are the best in South Africa to-day. Of course we know this to be the case.

Being under fire more or less every day has raised the men's spirits immensely. They have shown a good deal of daring and boldness in their work, but the circumstances in my opinion call for it, as without the enemy could not be discovered and the column often exposed to dangers.

Our next move will probably be northward in the direction of Bethel to operate on the flanks of the Boers. Those who seem to know are of opinion that the war will last at least 2 months. The Boers have possession of the railway throughout Portuguese Territory and have a good supply of ammunition.

I am very well pleased with the draft sent out, and with the horses brought with them.

Lt. Ketchen owing to urgent private affairs in England has asked for a leave of absence. He is a very good officer and will explain to you his reasons for leaving soon.

I was obliged to send Regtl. Sergeant Major Steele to Standerton some days ago. He received a strain which makes it impossible for him to ride. However, he will be useful there in looking after our supplies etc. Being without a Base has rather handicapped us in the matter of supplies, but we are doing very nicely.

I am advised that Mr. Taylor has sent out a lot of hats, but we are going to try and get along with our present ones until we get on the other railway where we will be able to get them up.

Since I last reported the following men of the regiment have died: -

Regt. No. 509, Pte. Jenkins, Killed in Action
" " 332, Corpl. Lee, Killed in Action
" " 171, Pte. Banks, Enteric Fever
" " 321, Pte. Cottrell, " "
" " 483, Pte. McNicholl," "

I am,
Yours respectfully

(Signed) S. B. STEELE, Lt. Col.
Commanding "Strathcona's Horse"
Life Member
Past-President Calgary
Military Historical Society
O.M.R.S. 1591

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re: Lt. Col. Sam Steele - Report to Lord Strathcona - July 20th, 1900 - Pt. One 11 years 9 months ago #4659

• Frank Kelley
  • Thank you received: 954
Hello Mike,
I wonder if the officer of the Border Mounted Rifles to which Lt Col Steele refers to in the third paragraph is actually Major Sangmeister?
I had no idea he had been taken POW during the war.
Regards Frank

Re: Lt. Col. Sam Steele - Report to Lord Strathcona - July 20th, 1900 - Pt. One 11 years 9 months ago #4674

• QSAMIKE
Good Morning Frank......

It is a possibility, I have typed them out as he had written them.....

Mike
Life Member
Past-President Calgary
O.M.R.S. 1591

Re: Lt. Col. Sam Steele - Report to Lord Strathcona - July 20th, 1900 - Pt. One 11 years 9 months ago #4687

• Frank Kelley
Hi Mike,
Yes, I think it can only be Major Sangmeister, Col Steele has made a grammatical error! just noticed him mentioed in your 16th July post!
All very interesting too, have Col Steele's reports been published and if so how long ago?
Regards Frank.

Re: Lt. Col. Sam Steele - Report to Lord Strathcona - July 20th, 1900 - Pt. One 11 years 9 months ago #4688

• QSAMIKE
Hi Frank.....

Yes it must be the same man.....

Many years ago in the late 1980's I was laid up with some back problems at which time I typed out the Weekly Reports from Col. Steele to Lord Strathcona, Lord Strathcona's Letters (see herein under the Founding of a Regiment), The Trooper Bowers Diary (also herein) and all the 600 pages of the Regimental Daily Routine Orders and War Diary..... Took me quite a while as I could only type about 4 or 5 pages a day......

This was before the time of computers or lets put it this way, before the average person could aford a computer..... So I had to use an old I.B.M. Selectric typwriter...... I know I am old, but not that old.....

I have tried to scan the Routine Orders and War Diary but not being a computer expert I have been unable to do so..... There are a lot of columns of information (i.e. Regimental Rolls, Equipment Rolls etc.) and I have tried to post them here with no luck....

But I digress.....

The documents are the property of the Regiment and they would have the last sayso if they were to be published but I have permission to post them here for research purposes.....

Mike
Life Member
Past-President Calgary
O.M.R.S. 1591

Re: Lt. Col. Sam Steele - Report to Lord Strathcona - July 20th, 1900 - Pt. One 11 years 9 months ago #4694

• Frank Kelley
Hello Mike,
I had always been interested in the Border Mounted Rifles and that is why I asked the queston because there is not that much written about them as far as the Boer War goes.
Kind regards Frank

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.415 seconds